Amazing Canadian stat from Dresden!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing Canadian stat from Dresden!

An amazing Canadian stat from Dresden is that only five teams (Armenia, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Israel, and Poland) have totalled more total score team points than Canada, through nine rounds!

Canada has 23.5 points among its five team members, out of a possible 36 so far. Granted, Canada has played a much weaker schedule than those five teams ahead of it, and is yet to defeat a strong team. But its three match losses, to India, Scotland, and Iraq, have all been by the minimum margin of 1.5-2.5.

It wouldn't be surprising to see Canada defeat Nicaragua by 4-0 in round ten. Then, a big final round score could actually have Canada in the lead in this category by the end of the tournament, which is only 11 rounds long this year. That would be something -- not the same as a team medal, of course, but still an achievement, in my view anyway.:)

Re: Amazing Canadian stat from Dresden!

Isn't this a meaningless stat, given the change in rules?

The Canadian men's team is doing badly, aren't they? Or do people think they are doing well?

Comment

I agree that this stat has no real significance, but it is still quite :)interesting.

Canada is doing about as expected in Dresden, in my view. Today they have won against Nicaragua, with three games done, at 3-0 for Canada, and Igor's game looking drawish in a Q and minor piece endgame. Other than losing to Iraq and drawing with Yemen, their results have been OK. But the great change in the pairing system (I can't claim to understand it all!) has meant that their big match wins, by 4-0 and 3.5-0-5, have not brought them up the table to tangle with big powers, as they would have in recent past Olympiads. I am sure the Canadian players are disappointed not to have played against more of the star GMs.

Comment

I agree with Bruce, the Canadian team is doing badly. Even after beating Nicaragua, we've still beaten no better teams (or close to) and we've lost to a big underdog (Iraq) and tied with another big underdog (Yemen). Beating the teams we've beaten 4-0 or 3.5-.5 isn't too much of an accomplishment as we are expected to be sweeping these teams. The close call with India was probably the best round.
        Last edited by Eric Hansen; Sunday, 23rd November, 2008, 03:00 PM.

Comment

All true (so far), but after round 10, is it only Armenia that has more game points than dear old Canada?

Comment

I don't think game point total comparisons are worth anything given the wide differences in opposition. It only means in Canada's particular case, they beat the teams soundly they were supposed to beat ( not mentioning Iraq and Yemen ).

Bob

Comment

The stat has plenty of significance. It's a BAD stat to be leading in it when your team is in the middle of the standings. It means your wins were against bad teams and your losses were against teams you almost beat, but didn't. It's like winning an award for being unclutch.
              everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Working...
              X