Tentative Event: Ontario Closed / Ontario Amateur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tentative Event: Ontario Closed / Ontario Amateur

I wanted to get some input on this event, since it hasn't been run in a long time (if ever?).

I want it to be more than a simple 5-round weekender, which means we need a holiday time to run it (summer is already pretty full).

The only logical available time is new years. We have the time to run a 6 or 7 round event.

The Kitchener City Hall facilities are available from December 28th to 31st. A 6-round event could be on 3 or 4 days, or a 7 round event using all four days.

One option suggested to me was: Friday 28th evening round, 2 rounds Saturday/Sunday, Monday 31st midday round and then everyone goes out to party for New Years. Or make it a 7-rounder with 2 rounds on the 31st (ending well before midnight).

I'll have more details on the event very soon, but what I'd like to know from Ontario players is: would you consider playing and what round schedule do you like?

Thanks!
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Re: Tentative Event: Ontario Closed / Ontario Amateur

Speaking as a married man (and semi-retired chessplayer), I want to spend New Years Eve with my family.

Not that I'm likely to play. :(

Comment

Kitchener is awkwardly far from Ottawa...

Unless other people from my area were traveling as well, or lodging costs in Kitchener could be minimized, it would probably be a no.

Comment

I would definitely consider playing (assuming that I was even qualified for the Closed) if finances permitted. The hesitation that I would have would be driving back home to Windsor on New Year's Eve in the midst of Canadian winter conditions.

I would probably prefer a six round event slightly but don't think it would influence my decision negatively if it was seven rounds as I could always take a bye to make it a six rounder if I really needed to.

Comment

Working...
        X