Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Closed

When is the Canadian Closed in 2013?

I might be interested in possibly partly sponsoring the event.

Norm

Re: Canadian Closed

In recent times, it has only happened once in a non-zonal year.

Without the extras like titles and qualification to the World Cup, you'd need a larger-than-has-been-the-norm prize fund to attract the top players, I would think.

On the other hand... the winner WOULD be guaranteed a spot on the 2014 Olympiad team, as the 2014 Closed would be too late in the year to use that as the qualifier. In fact, the 2014 Olympiad seems to be scheduled for the traditional Canadian Closed time (first half of August).
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Normand,

You can contact me if you want to sponsor the Canadian closed.

Although there is no IM and FM title by registration on non zonal year, it is still possible to achieve title norms without inviting any foreign players. This privileged is granted by FIDE to all National Championship.

Unfortunately, according to the actual CFC Handbook, the rules are the same for Zonal and non-zonal years. In order for the norm possibility to be more then a wild promise, a different format should be used for the Canadian Championship with a strong round robin of 9 rounds with at least 3 GM and the right mix of opponents to ensure a decent norm chance. We may aim at IM norms only event which would be easier to get with 2GM or 3 IM. A Swiss tournament with a 2250 lower limit cannot guarantee a shot at a norm.

Comment

Interesting

Comment

Hi Pierre,

I am disappointed to hear it is not a Zonal Yr. What had enticed me to sponsor the event was to give promising players the chance to achieve the IM title, and to sponsor the top Canadian player for the World Cup.

Two promising players have shown real talent and could be on the verge of being the next big thing in Canadian Chess. These two individuals are Eric Hansen and Aman Hambleton. I was delighted to see Aman Hambleton recently starting his own website. Such initiatives show he is committed to chess, and that is precisely what potential sponsors love to see. I have possible ideas regarding these two players and possible sponsorship. I shall update the Chesstalk community within the following months perhaps.

I am only semi-retired these days with my company, so I will see what we can do with these two mega talented players.

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre Denommee View Post
            Normand,

You can contact me if you want to sponsor the Canadian closed.

Although there is no IM and FM title by registration on non zonal year, it is still possible to achieve title norms without inviting any foreign players. This privileged is granted by FIDE to all National Championship.
            I recall seeing recent CFC/FIDE communications to the contrary, I believe. There were IM and FM titles awarded the last two times in 2011 and 2012 and as I recall it was suggested that IM and FM titles could be awarded in non-zonal years. I believe that Hal Bond, our FIDE rep, was one of the individuals who was pointing this out.
            Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Saturday, 29th September, 2012, 12:00 AM.

Comment

You can get title norms without foreign players during a national championship. This is a huge advantage because you usually need at least two foreign Federations in order for norms to be possible. It is those foreigners that are expensive to the organizer: you must pay their plane tickets, their hotel, their appearance fees...

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
              I recall seeing recent C
              FC/FIDE communications to the contrary, I believe. There were IM and FM titles awarded the last two times in 2011 and 2012 and as I recall it was suggested that IM and FM titles could be awarded in non-zonal years. I believe that Hal Bond, our FIDE rep, was one of the individuals who was pointing this out.

Comment

Hi Normand,

Eric Hansen will soon be a GM. In order to help him, we must organize competitions against tough opposition. Another way to help him would be to provide him with a world class trainer.

Aman Hambleton is an easier case. We can help him raise his rating by organizing suitable FIDE rated tournaments. He is almost at the IM threshold. After that, we must provide him with IM norms possibilities. He would gain the most from a non-zonal Canadian Championship.

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post
                Hi Pierre,

I am disappointed to hear it is not a Zonal Yr. What had enticed me to sponsor the event was to give promising players the chance to achieve the IM title, and to sponsor the top Canadian player for the World Cup.

Two promising players have shown real talent and could be on the verge of being the next big thing in Canadian Chess. These two individuals are Eric Hansen and Aman Hambleton. I was delighted to see Aman Hambleton recently starting his own website. Such initiatives show he is committed to chess, and that is precisely what potential sponsors love to see. I have possible ideas regarding these two players and possible sponsorship. I shall update the Chesstalk community within the following months perhaps.

I am only semi-retired these days with my company, so I will see what we can do with these two mega talented players.

Norm

Comment

Any update on this? Canadian Closed 2013?

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre Denommee View Post
                    Aman Hambleton is an easier case. We can help him raise his rating by organizing suitable FIDE rated tournaments. He is almost at the IM threshold. After that, we must provide him with IM norms possibilities. He would gain the most from a non-zonal Canadian Championship.
                    My how things have changed. :)

Comment

There are no known plans currently for a 2013 Closed. In 2012, the Men's (Absolute) and Women's were held at the same time, but they were seeding players into different schedules. The Women's was overdue because the winner won a spot in the 2012 WWC. The Men's, on the other hand, was arguably early - the World Cup in Norway is scheduled for August of this year.

The next World Cup is scheduled for Baku, sometime in 2015.

Comment

Nothing new under the sun ?

Comment

Working...
                        X