X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poor draw percentage levels for spectating

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
    Good point! However, there's many solutions to that:

-Shared prizes, if the quality of the games is close.

-The prize could also be shared (i.e. 75-25%) between the winner of the game and the loser. It takes two to tango.

-Have more than one prize, so it's not just one guy leaving with the pot. You could even have a prize for the best defensive effort, so the guys with a more conservative, solid style would not be left out.

The actual system, with appearance fees and invitations mostly 'awarded' on ratings is a huge incentive for conservative play. Most of the top players don't want to risk losing rating points, drop out of the top 10, top 20 etc. And who are we to blame them? They just maximize their return.

Mathieu
    Shared brilliancy prizes have happened in the past, if memory serves.

Once Karpov beat someone (Yusupov!?) and they jointly received a briallancy prize.

I may be wrong, but I think there have been events (at least long ago) where there's been more than one brilliancy prize. Maybe even prize(s) for defensive gems (after all, it's usually harder to defend than attack, at least if material sacs by the attacker aren't involved).

One thing that should not happen is players in an event lobbying the judges for picking their game as a brilliancy prize winner, other than providing analysis possibly. Someone once told me a story about Kasparov doing such lobbying for a briallancy prize he eventually got, in favour over a more truly deserving game played by others. Another thing that can happen is fans/spectators doing some lobbying, which I overheard someone once doing for a game I had played. The more knowledgable judge rightly waved off the idea in favour of a deeper game played by a GM at the same event.

Kotov had a pet peeve with the existence of ratings, possibly for reasons similar to what you've described (I can't quite recall). Tom O'Donnell felt the same way, likely for different reasons, years ago, and probably still does.

If the rating system is still to be kept, a possible price, for the conservative play it encourages, might be fewer invitations for some players to private elite events, if organizers want to encourage fewer draws.

Keeping track of people who play an excessive number of short draws, as I 've suggested, might be a better way to try to improve things, without changing them too much - though if the fix is in for a game, the players might simply contrive to produce a longer, effortless draw. The trick is, perhaps, for organizers of private elite events to keep how they issue invitations a bit secretive.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 26th September, 2012, 06:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
      What is especially ridiculous about this is the fact that some {NHL} games are worth a total of two points in the standings while others are worth three. But of course all games should be worth the same number of points. To me having ties is the best solution, the second best solution would be to give 3 points for a win, and go 2 and 1 for overtime or shootout games. The worst possible solution is what they have chosen to do.
      Agreed. The brass at the NHL may have done what they did simply to avoid the assumed vast number of undereducated fans possibly being annoyed by being forced to multiply by threes instead of by twos for the wins column in the sports pages.
      Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 26th September, 2012, 06:32 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        Well, one could argue luck is already a part of chess - look at Carlsen-Giri from the other day. Giri must certainly consider himself lucky to have won! Carlsen could certainly have had a draw, but he pushed too hard and got in time pressure and blundered - is that not lucky (for Giri)?

I am ok with draws where there is clearly a hard fought contest - "arranged draws" or draws of convenience like several that have been referenced recently are not very interesting to anyone.
        Lots of players are wished to have good luck before a game, so there's probably something to it. ;) It's (the illusion of?) pure skill that makes chess attractive for many people - contrary to being at the whims of pure chance in everyday life.

As far as this poll goes, I was just as interested in the percentage of decisive games required to keep spectators happy, which is the opposite of the draw %. The draw percentages for this poll thus, I thought, didn't need to take into account so much the non-hard fought draws, as opposed to hard fought ones. Couldn't be helped anyway, as there's only 10 options max per poll allowed.

Comment

Like most people here, a hard fought draw is perfectly acceptable and wouldn't bother me in the least... as for short draws... I would try to keep those to a minimum. Although the Sofia rules aren't perfect, they are a good step in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
          X