Eritrea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eritrea

I was playing chess online at chess.com last night with a player from Eritrea. Not knowing all that much about this small African nation, I had sought his disabuse via the chat mechanism available.

Tangentially, he started to go on about just how uncomfortable he felt in our game, just 4 moves into the Budapest Gambit I was playing (1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5 3.dxe5 Ng4 4.Nf3 Bc5). He even offered an early draw since he was evidently intimidated by my perceived "mating threats".

Getting along so well (so I thought), I told him he was fine provided he played the forced 5.e3. I couldn't believe it when he uncorked 5.Nd2????? That blunder of all blunders of course allows a mate in one.

When I almost regretfully played 5. ...Bxf2# he completely freaked out, getting highly obscene, and posing the question, "Are all Canadians ******* liars?" So if you happen to run into any chess players from Eritrea, don't be surprised if they think you an inordinate liar.

Re: Eritrea

Thanks for the tip. I play Eritreans all the time.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Re: Eritrea

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
      Thanks for the tip. I play Eritreans all the time.
      LOL - Peter, do you know a good cleaner to get coffee off my monitor? I just blew most of my afternoon coffee thru my nose onto the screen...
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
      X