• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chess variants: popularity

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
    So why is this a problem? You can choose your rule set:
    A) No conversation allowed
    B) Any conversation is allowed
    C) Make a list of legal requests, and only those may be said.

Any of these is enforceable so why is it considered a problem?
    B) (Any conversation allowed) might not satisify the spirit of partnership doubles chess in most people's eyes, if it is to be taken seriously, as I described already in my post that you quoted.

A) (No conversation allowed) or C) (Listing legal requests)
    might lead to signalling by various means, as has happened in the game of Bridge. For example, touching your partner with a foot or hand in a certain way or pattern of touches under the table (though for just World Championship Bridge, I seem to recall some sort of barriers have been used). Number of winks made to a partner suggesting piece type, or rank/file to move [to]. Or touching a type of captured piece in order to show one's partner what type of piece of his own to move.

I don't have nearly as much imagination as I imagine many potential 'cheaters' would, and I imagine there are other ways to cheat I haven't thought of.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
      B) (Any conversation allowed) might not satisify the spirit of partnership doubles chess in most people's eyes, if it is to be taken seriously, as I described already in my post that you quoted.
      Why to subtract a joy from a bughouse. The communication is the part of the game.

I read somewhere that the world (europe?) championship was organized. At least during Czech Opens the bughouse event is standard. Their rules at http://www.czechopen.net/en/festival...nts/l-bughouse. ("Full communication between partners is allowed.", though "1.17 All players must be as silent as possible in their communication. They should minimize the noise made by their voice communication, and must not disturb other playing teams.")

Anyway, don't take a funny game too serious :D

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        Why to subtract a joy from a bughouse. The communication is the part of the game.

I read somewhere that the world (europe?) championship was organized. At least during Czech Opens the bughouse event is standard. Their rules at http://www.czechopen.net/en/festival...nts/l-bughouse. ("Full communication between partners is allowed.", though "1.17 All players must be as silent as possible in their communication. They should minimize the noise made by their voice communication, and must not disturb other playing teams.")

Anyway, don't take a funny game too serious :D
        I don't take partnership double chess too seriously, and I'm pointing out why others might not if an effort were made for it to be taken (very) seriously. Though I must admit that, unlike for Bridge, clocks are used, and so the time and opportunities for possible 'cheating' (at least in some people's eyes) would be limited.

Even the above rules you quoted are a bit contradictory, in that full communication is allowed yet must (perhaps?) somehow not/never disturb the opponents (too much?) (if not also avoid disturbing other games' players nearby - a possible reason to not have a 'serious' partnership double chess event with more than one game going on in the same room!?).
        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 28th September, 2012, 05:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

What is Replacement Chess if it isn't Bughouse or Crazyhouse?

-- Edit --

I found Tom O'Donnell's description on the other thread... Sounds like a neat variant!
          Last edited by Jordan S. Berson; Friday, 28th September, 2012, 06:02 PM.
          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Three Checks Wins is my favourite variant on ICC!
            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Hope all can come to our bughouse/double chess event on November 12 in Toronto!

http://annexchessclub.com/events/#upcoming

Details are still to be arranged, but we're planning minimal prizes/entry fees, with the idea that teams will just play for the fun - and for the glory!
              Marcus Wilker
              Annex Chess Club
              Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Posted by Kevin Pacey
                signalling by various means, as has happened in the game of Bridge. For example, touching your partner with a foot or hand in a certain way or pattern of touches under the table (though for just World Championship Bridge, I seem to recall some sort of barriers have been used). Number of winks made to a partner suggesting piece type, or rank/file to move [to]. Or touching a type of captured piece in order to show one's partner what type of piece of his own to move.

I don't have nearly as much imagination as I imagine many potential 'cheaters' would, and I imagine there are other ways to cheat I haven't thought of.

What I wrote above was intended to point out the potential for possible signalling of moves between partners in partnership double chess, in the event that full conversation between partners wasn't allowed (evidently it is, at least in some, if not all, partnership double chess events).

I'm now wondering whether I might have been also onto the potential for possible signalling of moves between teammates in standard chess team matches. Surely someone must have considered such an idea already. The main reason I can think of for signalling not happening is that a teammate on an adjacent board is usually not that much stronger a player, and must also largely concentrate on his own game. There is also the fact that most team matches aren't very serious affairs, and the vast majority of chessplayers probably aren't wont to cheat in any way, especially if there is little or no money involved.

Comment

I am not in favor of any mutilation of the game of chess. However, I have played some of the variants suggested - mostly in my mis-spent youth at the Hart House chess club. Two versions not mentioned above, I found amusing. I recall playing some games with Bruce Amos to the annoying amusement of kibitzers. Not wanting to be rude and tell them to buzz off, we took two chess sets and using the white pieces only, proceeded to play the normal game. Of course the kibitzers couldn't follow the games after a while and dispersed.:)

Something else we tried, which proved quite instructive, was to switch black's king and queen in the starting position. Thus, when each player castled kingside, the position called for attacks on opposite wings. A very lively aggressive chess resulted.

Comment

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_variant is another place to look for ideas for the occasional variants-theme club night. One would wonder which of them have an engine to go with them for sparring. Do any engines out there have switches where a player can set or unset a castling or pawn double-step switch, or ignore en passant for an old passar bataglia rule, or to make the queens or bishops move in the old styles of the aufin, etc?!

Oh, and is Strategy Games able to make any prints of roll-up hexagonal boards or arrays with slightly larger arrays of checkered boards? One game there at the Wikipedia link above also described a Masonic chess layout, in addition to some circular designed boards.

Comment

Working...
                    X