Lasker, Russell, & Gladwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Lasker, Russell, & Gladwell

While one certainly does not need to be a 'master' or 'expert' to teach chess (i.e be it a 200, 2000, or 10,000 hour dedicated time requirement), I wouldn't feel too comfortable re the quality of chess teachers produced from a one week programme designed to make "PETs" qualified chess teachers (:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/C...w/34794962.cms

Comment

Yes Jack, there is quite the discrepancy among the experts you mentioned on how many hours it takes to become a master of your field.

Lasker was quite a smart guy, he really looked at chess from both a scientific and philosophical level. If you read his books Lasker's Manual and Struggle, you will get some good insight into just how much he studied and thought about the game.

With Lasker being your teacher, it very well might have been possible to attain this level, since not only are you getting quality lessons, he is also filtering out all of the not so useful stuff that a lot of people end up studying which was already mentioned in a previous post.

To add to your list there is also Earl Nightingale who said you can become a master in your field from
      1 hour a day of study, for 3 years which equates to 1095 hours. Nightingale's theory assumes that you are the only one who is doing the studying

So If you were to add taking lessons with a coach then it will probably be way less than 1000 hours of studying.

As for playing, for myself it took me around 500 tournament games before I achieved a 2200 rating, but during a lot of that time I had no coach.

I believe 10,000 hours is way too much. Russell seems to me, to be the most accurate with his 2000 hours estimate.

Based on my own experience I think for the average person, 2000-4000 hours of both studying and playing combined is a reasonable estimate.

Comment

Kevin Spraggett chimes in at his blog upon the 10,000 hour theory with this apposite link:

http://www.research-live.com/news/10...011897.article

Comment

For the record, Bertrand Russell was primarily a philosopher, not a mathematician. He was quite strong in mathematics, though, and in fact strong in a number of other areas as well. I believe his book - The ABC's of Relativity - was the first attempt in English to give a layman's explanation of Relativity Theory - a theory very, very poorly understood when it first came out.

His most important work - Principia Mathematica - was co-authored with Alfred North Whitehead - a real mathematician. This "important" work is particularly difficult to read, even today. The joke in philosophy classes is that only three people actually ever read the entire book - Russell; Whitehead; and their editor. If there were typesetting errors, no one would know. Incidentally, in those days such works were written on giant pages of paper (4 pages to a sheet I believe) with hand - and fear of something damaging happening could be overwhelming.

Incidentally, the goal of Principia Mathematica was to "reduce" mathematics to the principles of symbolic logic. They believed they had succeeded. Kurt Gödel proved otherwise. (Interesting this site correctly added the umlaut for me!)

Last point - part of the problem in this exercise is in deciding what expertise actually is in the first place. Russell had two major contributions to mathematics: 1) the refutation of a set theory thesis by the mathematician Gottlob Frege (which was sublime); and Principia Mathematica - a stunningly enormous project which ends objectively in failure, although enormously influential. Is this expertise? Probably not. Certainly in physics, he knew much more than an ordinary person would know at the time; but again, he was certainly not an expert. At best, he understood the significance of what the real experts of the time were thinking.

Comment

Brooke N. Macnamara summarizes (in great detail!) the most recent study on the matter.

http://pps.sagepub.com/content/11/3/...uVfsIqRcCydXJB

Comment

Re: Lasker, Russell, & Gladwell

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
              You shoud do a poll of how many of us have devoted 200 hours or 2000 hours or even 10000 hours to the game without reaching anything approaching mastery.:)
              Exactly. Talent is by far the most important factor when it comes to getting good at anything. The more talent you have the less time it will take. Without talent you could spend a lifetime and not get any good. Theories about time required are almost ridiculous.

Comment

Re: Lasker, Russell, & Gladwell

I did Anders Ericsson a great disservice by citing Gladwell rather than Ericsson in the title of this thread. Here's Ericsson in his own words, defending his "deliberate practice" (n.b. not just practice) theory that Ericsson says Gladwell certainly misrepresented in his bestseller, 'Outliers'. Despite Ericsson's arguments, I remain steadfastly in the Hambrick camp. (:

http://www.businessinsider.com/ander...nything-2016-6

Comment

Working...
                X