First Saturday October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Saturday October

October First Saturday has started. There are 5 groups total. GM and IM groups are small and will be double round robins. The 3 FM groups include 6 players from Kuwait.

GM Group
    Codenotti Marco 1. FM ITA 2334
    Horvath David 2. IM HUN 2386
    Kantor Gergely 3. FM HUN 2310
    Berczes David 4. GM HUN 2528
    Lalic Bogdan 5. GM CRO 2488
    Todorovic Goran M 6. SRB 2491

IM Group
    Hou Qiang 1. FM CHN 2339
    Nguyen Huynh Minh Huy 2. IM VIE 2438
    Lengyel Bela 3. IM HUN 2252
    Szeberenyi Adam 4. IM HUN 2365
    Gajek Radoslaw 5. POL 2208
    Kojima Shinya 6. FM JPN 2307

FMA1
    Tessedik Karoly HUN 1. 1868
    Darazs Zoltan HUN 2. 2124
    Szalanczy Emil IM HUN 3. 2256
    Wanger Tamas HUN 4. 1932
    Maquseed Nasser CM KUW 5. 2065
    Juracsik Jozsef HUN 6. 2164
    Henrichsen Jens DEN 7. 1908
    Nasser Bader KUW 8. 2021
    Borda Lajos HUN 9. 2120
    Gal, Hanna Krisztina HUN 10. 2012

FMA2
    Farkas Richard HUN 2112
    Koczo Kristof HUN 2221
    Jensen Leif DEN 2050
    Simkin Alexander RUS 1871
    Kaufmann Attila HUN 1941
    Al-Hageri Badr KUW 1978
    Neuer Thomas GER 2098
    Havaskori Laszlo HUN 1933
    Molnar Tibor HUN 2002
    Laza Szabolcs HUN 2005

FMB
    Alsubair Ahmad KUW
    Lukacs Albert HUN 1859
    Mihajlova Diana ENG 1454(Budapest resident)
    Mayer Istvan FM HUN 2074
    Goldie Thomas SUI 1722
    Czipp Janos HUN 1460
    Nemeth Otto HUN 1802
    Alamiri Adel KUW
    Lakat Gyula HUN 1893
    Al-Shorafaa Hazza KUW
    Gruz Janos HUN 1845
    Bella Zsolt HUN 1358

This months participation in the GM and IM groups is weak. There has been the odd month in past times where tournaments have been cancelled. FM group participation is higher than I have seen recently. There are other foreign players living in the city who also do not play in FS but play other events instead.

I tried to make it clear in a previous post on the October BCN that in the FM groups, there is a two-pricing scheme where Hungarian players are given substantial discounts(around 75% off the web price) and this discount is hidden from the visiting players. The pricing practice in the GM-IM groups is unknown to me. Also there are no prizes in FS while all Budapest tournaments have modest prizes. I won cash and a bottle of wine in one small open a couple of times now.

This is my fourth year living in Budapest and I stumbled across this practice by accident and have since stopped playing in FS events. I find this way of doing business quite distasteful and now play in the numerous other events in the city which are priced at very reasonable levels. One chess parent has tried to convince me that FS did not rip me off as I knew the price in advance. However, I don't share this opinon as the process of hiding player discounts based on country of origin is at the minimum deliberate trickery.

I don't think it's worth the hassle of haggling with the organiser over what is a fair price every time to play(the local price is also quite flexible) and all the other events I play in the organizsers have advertised and fixed prices and are no trouble at all to participate in.

FS is the only tournament in Budapest with a two-tier pricing scheme. Everyone else is quite honest. It just takes a bit of effort go through the Hungarian Federation tournament listing and decipher Hungarian ads.

For this reason I DO NOT recommend FS to anyone unless you don't mind being gouged and are desperate to play in a RR. I play the same players in other events so its no bother to skip FS.

There is a full summary of entry fees in the Oct BCN.

I hope this information is useful if anyone is planning a trip to Europe.
Working...
X