Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC Bonus Points

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
    It is not unknown for a rising young player to have a rating of 2000 but a true playing strength of 2200. I for one have no interest in donating rating points to underrated players.
    Dan, as one of my favorite master-level BC Chess players, I find some of your comments here slightly disappointing.

I don't think anyone wants to "donate" points to underrated players, but a rating is not the most important factor here. We should all be playing for the enjoyment of the game, and our rating should merely reflect our current level of play.

Looking at your CFC profile, you've played only a single tournament in the last five years. Whatever your reasons for not playing, you can't really say you have an issue with underrated players because, well, you're not playing.

Are you really interested in being a part of BC Chess? I was happy to see you at the Langley Open, but you only showed up for a few hours, selling some Chess books and reading one about Backgammon. Really? Instead, you could have been enriching the tournament with your experience, and indeed, adding to the experience of the Chess players around you. I, for one, would be very pleased to sit across the board with a former BC Champion in tournament play.

Dan, I invite you to re-join the BC Chess world in 2013. Play in all of the major tournaments in BC, and a year from now, write a post here about your experience, underrated players, etc. This can only do one thing -- benefit Chess in BC.

Comment

I didn't know that. I thought he was needling me about postal chess. And I didn't even try to sell him a membership.

It's a whole new decade. The ICCF has an updated web server. Players from all over the world playing for fun and titles. National events for those who play well.

The titles, if a player can get them, come with a nice medal and a certificate awarded at the annual ICCF congress and approved by FIDE.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Andrew,

I've been playing chess for over 50 years. As Groucho Marx famously observed in another context, "I love my cigar but I take it out of my mouth once in a while."

Comment

Re : Re: CFC Bonus Points

Originally posted by Andrew Hoyer View Post

Are you really interested in being a part of BC Chess? I was happy to see you at the Langley Open, but you only showed up for a few hours, selling some Chess books and reading one about Backgammon. Really? Instead, you could have been enriching the tournament with your experience, and indeed, adding to the experience of the Chess players around you. I, for one, would be very pleased to sit across the board with a former BC Champion in tournament play.

Dan, I invite you to re-join the BC Chess world in 2013. Play in all of the major tournaments in BC, and a year from now, write a post here about your experience, underrated players, etc. This can only do one thing -- benefit Chess in BC.
          It is easy to be generous with other people's time. No one compete for "the benefit of chess". One must do it first and foremost for his own benefit (pleasure included). If for any reason that benefit is not present there is no reason to play. If you or BC chess would need Dan Scoones to play that much, something tangible beyond words would be done for that.

Comment

Dan / Jean,

I do not intend to be rude, tell people what to do, or even volunteer other people's time. My point is simply that if one wants to make statements about their rating in relation to underrated players, etc, that they should at least be minimally active.

Dan, my apologies for any offence taken. I hope to see you put the "cigar back in" sometime soon.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Hoyer View Post
              My point is simply that if one wants to make statements about their rating in relation to underrated players, etc, that they should at least be minimally active.
              Needless to say, I don't agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                Not having the temperament to lose to lower rated juniors without wanting to change the rating system doesn't make an aging player uniquely qualified for postal chess.
                Anyone who re-reads my previous post will see that I was supporting the current system, not recommending a change.

As for postal chess, my only experience is an ICCF Master tournament -- which I won.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
                  Anyone who re-reads my previous post will see that I was supporting the current system, not recommending a change.

As for postal chess, my only experience is an ICCF Master tournament -- which I won.
                  You left on a positive note.

It's not really postal chess these days. They do it on a web server which makes time keeping much simpler for the TD's.

Probably with that Master class win you'd play in a Master Norm event and go for an IM correspondence title. There's also chances for spots on Canadian teams. The events take less time to play on the Web Server than by post.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                  X