Two by Tukmakov

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two by Tukmakov

Vladimir Tukmakov, the Ukrainian grandmaster, played in over a dozen Soviet Championships, placing second in 1970, 1972 and 1983 to Korchnoi, Tal and Karpov, respectively. He competed in the World Junior Championship in Barcelona in 1965 at the same time as Duncan Suttles. He placed second to Fischer at Buenos Aires in 1970. He won two Canadian Opens, in Edmonton (1989) and Winnipeg (1994).

He was the head coach and captain of the Ukrainian national team for over 7 years - from January 2004 to March 2011. He was the coach of the Azerbaijani team, which placed tenth at the Istanbul Olympiad.

Two of his books in English have been published in 2012.

Profession: Chessplayer Grandmaster at Work is his life and 41 annotated games. His early life in Odessa is given in detail and his career as a professional. 262 pages

At Buenos Aires he was paired with Bobby Fischer in the first round but Bobby only showed up at the third and did not immediately play. Rescheduled, Tukmakov lost. He describes it:

In Buenos Aires overall, before and after that dreadful game, I played pretty well, but this particular game I played very badly – timidly, haphazardly, passively. It could be easily explained by my own problems: adjusting to the unusual conditions the natural shyness of a novice before a great player. But all the other participants, even the most eminent played with Fischer like they were doomed.
    (cut)
    I still think that the 1970 Buenos Aires tournament was the best of his career, but it cannot fully explain the strange passivity and despair of his opponents.

There are about five pages on that tournament and Bobby Fischer.

Modern Chess Preparation – Getting Ready for your Opponent in the Information Age. This has 286 pages with 91 games. The cover blurb says:
    Tukmakov explains what amateurs should do in order to arrive at the board well-armed: study the classics, analyze your own games without a computer, and know yourself. A special chapter is devoted to must-win situations: when the outcome of a tournament, a match or even a whole life depends on a single game.

This annotation about preparation for the game Bareev – Ivanchuk, Havana 2006:

The work didn’t stop even during Vasily’s wedding, which took place a few days before his trip to Cuba, as his second – Grandmaster Orest Gritsak – was also the groom’s best man. So Ivanchuk can consider the win in this game his wedding present to himself.

Now, that is preparation with devotion!

Two recent books that are good reads and welcome additions to your library.

Re: Two by Tukmakov

I just met him at the European Club Cup where his Azerbaijani team won. He remembers his trips to Canada and his victories quite well!

Comment

Tukmakov is the most intimidating chess captain I've ever seen. His presence is quite strong. I'd be quite interested in these books.

Comment

Leafing through the autobiography, I have only found one Canadian allusion so far. This is to the game Zdenko Kozul – V. Tukmakov, Croatia International, Mississauga, 1990. A 44-move draw in a QGD Slav.

This is incorporated in an annotation to the game Tukmakov - Sveshnikov, USSR Championship, Leningrad 1977.

I must admit to knowing absolutely nothing about Kozul. I have found 17 games between Kozul and Tukmakov online and in Game 30 of this book T. says:

In the second half of the 90s and the beginning of this millennium, in open tournaments as well as club championships of Croatia and Slovenia, my path quite often crossed that of the Croatian GM Zdenko Kozul. Since Kozul is known for his consistency of opening repertoire, we played many games in this variation of the King’s Indian Defense (E94). [Bled 2000]...

Comment

Working...
        X