National Team Round Eleven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Team Round Eleven

The final round and a chance for Canada to finish in the top 30 with a good performance.

Bluvshtein-Cuartas saw the Canadian board one face another player who was having a great event. A relatively quiet opening led to a roughly balanced middlegame, which suddenly got sharp when White decided to try and blast open Black's Kside with 27.h4!? The pawn sacrifice was reasonable (Rybka and I agree on that point), but wasn't really better for White. A nice back-and-forth tactical sequence begun with 35.e4!? won Black a second pawn. Rybka thinks White's problems began with 38.Qxf6, certainly a natural enough move. The computer prefers 38.Ka2, with the idea that by spending a move now, White makes the threat of 39.Qxf6 even stronger since 39...Qxd3 is no longer check. It recommends a line like 38.Ka2 Rc6 (38...Ne8 loses the Exchange to 39.Qh8+ and 40.Nxc5, while Rybka thinks 39.exd5 is even stronger) 39.exd5, and Black's K is on rather shaky ground. If the clocks on the website are to be believed, I suspect from that point Mark was forced to move rapidly and just try to make threats; Black's plan was to trade off at least one of the Qs or the Rs. When Black finally succeeded, Mark was dead.

Barrientos-Charbonneau was a Sicilian where White left a P en prise a little too long. Pascal snapped it up and was a little better. White eventually got his N to d6, but the difference between this game and the Zugic game below is that: 1) The N/d6 wasn't guarded by a pawn which meant its position was a bit unstable; and 2) There were many open lines for Black's Rs to try and make play on the wings (or indeed vs the N/d6 itself). Black erred with 26...Rd8 when White should have played 27.Nf5! (that part is pretty easy for a human to see) 27...Red7 (27...Ree8 28.Ne7+ Kf7 29.Qe3! - all Rybka) 28.Ng3 (missed that) 28...Qg4 29.Re4 Rxd3 30.cxd3 Qd1+ 31.Re1 Rxd3 (31...Qg4 32.h3!) 32.h3! (missed that, too) and White is better. To his credit, White did find 28.Nf5, but here it isn't so strong, though still good enough for a draw.

Zugic-Uribe was very instructive. White took advantage of his opponent's weak dark squares in a single-minded manner (11.f4; 16.c5!?). Black's 18...Nxg2?! was tough to resist, the problem with it being that White ends up by force into a fantastic N vs pathetic B late middlegame with 2 Rs each. With the centre totally secured - check out the monster on d6! - Igor's Rs attacked hither and yon. Black's defenses were simply too spread out and it was only a matter of time before he would be shedding material. He did, and tossed in the towel soon after.

Clavijo-Roussel was a blowout. White's opening was solid, and he may have kept a very slight edge with 12.a3, attempting to make play on the Qside. Instead, he opted to try his luck with a mating attack down the long diagonal. Unfortunately for him, that didn't go very far as Thomas's K position was totally safe. Black pretty much ignored White's posturing and went for the big space gainer starting with 16...a5.By the time this P made it to a3, White's position was already very bad. I suppose 24.f4 only helps Black by opening the e-file (Rybka certainly didn't like it), however how else is White to make any play? Once Thomas's pieces infiltrated, the finish was brutal, the a-pawn having a starring role.

Canada's final result was quite reasonable. Unlike most Olympiads, no one had a great result, but also no one stank out the joint. They were somewhat done in by the pairing system. If their ability to smash (rather than simply beat) lower-rated teams weren't so good, ironically they would have gotten tougher (read: more interesting) pairings.

I think that the players for the next team should seriously consider some sort of stacked team arrangement. It seems to me that it is better with these match points to put the machine-gunners on the bottom boards and have the more solid players play at the top. The goal is to maximize your chances of getting 2-2 or 2.5-1.5 scores but forgoing a lot of chances for 3.5 or 4-0 ones. For example, Zugic and/or Roussel should be on a higher board than Charbonneau, in my opinion. Not because I think that they are better players (because I don't personally think that they are), but because if they can hold the higher boards and Pascal wins pretty much all his games - even with Black! - they are going to win a lot of matches. Just one guy's opinion.

In any case, I hope that the Captain and players get together via email to figure out how they are going to approach the event in two years' time. It is quite conceivable that most, if not all, of the same players will be eligible next time which is a real plus for building a stronger team.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Re: National Team Round Eleven

Thanks again to IM Tom O'Donnell for his great analysis and incisive comments on Canada's performance at the Dresden Olympiad.:) :)

I agree with Tom that Canada did OK in this Olympiad. For a group of part-time players and students, without any chess professionals, to challenge for the top 30, as Canada did, is quite impressive. It's too bad that there were only 11 rounds this time, as compared to 14 in past events, since Canada seemed to be running into form in the last few rounds. A couple of bad matches in the middle of the tournament, against Yemen and Iraq, which are teams that Canada would normally beat, left us too far down the standings to get a chance to work back up to challenge the stronger teams, because of the unusual scoring and pairing systems used in 2008. In past Olympiads, Canada has usually destroyed the weaker teams it faced (as it did this time), and this then catapulted us up into the higher ranges of the standings. The teenager Nikolay made a solid debut, and everyone else performed at least OK. Likely Mark will be disappointed with his debut on first board, but he is a student, and has little time for chess. Canada finished +16 in the (wins over losses) statistics, one of the best in Dresden. This augurs well for the future, in my opinion. Also, last time, for Turin 2006, the team had a training camp before the tournament, which couldn't be arranged this time.

So, I think we should be very proud of their performance, especially at a time when the Chess Federation of Canada is in such crisis.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
      I think that the players for the next team should seriously consider some sort of stacked team arrangement. It seems to me that it is better with these match points to put the machine-gunners on the bottom boards and have the more solid players play at the top. The goal is to maximize your chances of getting 2-2 or 2.5-1.5 scores but forgoing a lot of chances for 3.5 or 4-0 ones.
      Right On!!
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Thanks Tom for your reviews.

Maybe next time you would add more materials like diagrams

Comment

Thanks to Tom O'Donnell for giving ChessTalk readers the Canadian perspective to the Olympiad in Dresden. He provided us with an interesting summary of each match in a timely fashion. You are a class act Tom...THANKS!

I would also like to thank everyone who has supported Chess'n Math, Strategy Games and the ChessTalk board over the years!

Until the next major chess event :)

Comment

Tom

As the Aussies would say, "Good on you, mate."

Comment

are you lined up to do this again this year? or someone else? it was very interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Sadler View Post
                are you lined up to do this again this year? or someone else? it was very interesting...
                At this point I have not done anything with regards to coverage on this board...but I am open to ideas and suggestions :)

The person who does this for ChessTalk is paid....tis not a volunteer thing.

The question is...how much interest is there?

Mark Bluvshtein does an excellent blog...for FREE (as is the case for many other Grandmasters):

http://markbluvshtein.wordpress.com/

Perhaps this is sufficient?

Larry

Comment

Working...
                X