note the passing of Paul Arvaj

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• note the passing of Paul Arvaj

Last Friday I did a special trip to Hamilton to track down Paul Arvaj. After some adventures at the Hamilton Public Library and the food court at Jackson Square Mall, as well as a private residence on Elgin Street and then finally the Hamilton Chess Club I spoke to several helpful individuals in the Hamilton Chess Community. I would like to thank Stefan (Im sorry I dont know how to spell your family name), John Harmon, Al Fabris, Garvin Nunes, Dave Begoray, and Herbert Weinhardt for their help and info not only regarding Paul Arvaj but also as to my research into chess history of southern Ontario. Apparently Paul Arvaj passed away sometime in 2011 (age 73? - according to his background info in his book) but no one I spoke to knows the month, and also apparently there was no obituary published. I played Paul many games over the span of some 30 years and the first one was also the first game in one of his books "About Chess". In his last game against me - a celebrity active event at the Germania Club in Hamilton organized by IM Brian Hartman, Paul shocked me by beating me in crushing style - 2003? - maybe. Paul Arvajs last known residence was a nursing home at the corner of Main and Victoria in downtown Hamilton and for many years he enjoyed kibitzing, casual chess, speed chess, and recounting chess memories at the Hamilton Public Library. RIP Paul! (a belated post) you are not forgotten by the many chess players you encountered.

Re: note the passing of Paul Arvaj

Very sad. I think a worthy memorial would be if someone analyzed his games from his pamphlets and made them available digitally or otherwise.

Side note: If he didn't have family to arrange the funeral and if the city did it I believe they do not publish an obituary. I've never heard that he had family in Hamilton possibly because he immigrated from Hungary well before the iron curtain fell. I believe if someone wants to particularly find out when they can check at City Hall or the provincial building in the public records. Not completely sure about that though.

Comment

Actually its all in his book. Paul, together with his brother and mother, left the former Yugoslavia for Germany in 1954, and then Paul and his widowed mother came to Hamilton in 1956. He started playing chess regularly in 1959 until about 2009 - so about 50 years of chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
        Actually its all in his book. Paul, together with his brother and mother, left the former Yugoslavia for Germany in 1954, and then Paul and his widowed mother came to Hamilton in 1956. He started playing chess regularly in 1959 until about 2009 - so about 50 years of chess.
        Interesting. I always thought he was Hungarian and not Yugoslavian but then there is a large ethnic Hungarian population in northern Serbia. If he came from Yugoslavia or Hungary in 1954 he would have had to flee the border and risk his life.

Comment

http://budapestchesnews.blogspot.hu/

I found a Jung-Arvaj 1976 game and added some brief notes.

Comment

I am touched. Thank you Michael! What you did is above and beyond the normal call of editing.

Comment

Working...
            X