life member activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• life member activity

In one of the threads, there was an off topic request for info on life member activity. As it is off topic, I am placing the result in a new thread.

The CFC database lists only the current membership status of individuals, not when a life membership was purchased, so it is not possible to determine the activity of life members as a function of elapsed time from the purchase of their life membership. I also only looked at data back to 2006 (going earlier is possible but annoying).

So, plotted below is the information available (if someone has a better suggestion, please post).

Graph 1: of the life members, how many in each year is the last activity?

Graph 2: Scattergram of CFC ID (an indicator of when they first joined, but not necessarily of when they bought their membership) versus the date of their last activity.

There are 448 life members listed. Approx. 39 of those are life members as a result of being an IM or GM. 283 of the life members have not been active in the period considered (Jan.1 2006 to present).

Re: life member activity

I play chess at least 5 days of the week. I just don't play in CFC rated events. I am hardly inactive on the chess front. I bought my Life membership to support the Federation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
      I play chess at least 5 days of the week. I just don't play in CFC rated events. I am hardly inactive on the chess front. I bought my Life membership to support the Federation.
      Why don't you play CFC rated events?

How do you play chess at least 5 days a week? Online?

Comment

Rated chess doesn't fit into my lifestyle at the moment.

I play blitz every day at lunch with some colleagues. We also get together Monday after work and I have started dropping into junior chess at the library on Saturday afternoons.

Comment

I have played tournament chess steady since getting my life membership 35 years ago with my first full time pay cheque. I have played over 3000 tournament games and I hope to play another 35 years and another 3000 games. (Im trying to make up for all the inactive life members:D)

Comment

I play blitz every day at lunch with some colleagues. We also get together Monday after work and I have started dropping into junior chess at the library on Saturday afternoons.
            Wow you're lucky, no one plays chess with me at lunch :(
            Shameless self-promotion on display here
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

I've been a life member of the CCCA for around 30 or more years. There was a break of around 8 or 9 years when I didn't play. Then I started again. I spent around 10 years directing tournaments for the ICCF tournament office. Now I'm not playing. Maybe next year I will or not.

So, the graph doesn't look out of line to me. The spike up in the last year seems to be in line with the decent e-magazine. Probably a coincidence.

However, an organization can't live on life memberships so I send donations from time to time.

How Roger can run figures which consider CFC governors to be inactive when most people would consider having a membership to be a minimum requirement for the position is unclear to me.

It seems to show a small subset of figures can be misleading.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Re: life member activity

Weekenders do not fit into too many people lifestyles which goes a long way to explain why chess federations have problems to increase their memberships. Too many weekenders and not enough one day events or evening activities at clubs (and not enough clubs).

Comment

Working...
                X