Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ChessTalk deemed a virus danger

Originally posted by dan hunter View Post
    Last time I had my local "expert" sort out my old computer, I asked him about the whole Maz vs Windows security thing. He said that that Mac was indeed much more robust - something to do with a much tighter register that is next to impossible to crack - and that is all I bothered to understand! I got the impression that even if Mac "took over the world", viruses would still be much rarer......
    Apple drops virus immunity claim for Macs
    26 Jun 2012
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-for-Macs.html

Computers are still operated by humans, thus mistakes happen from time to time. A wrong click and a system maybe damaged.

Comment

Re: ChessTalk deemed a virus danger -- chesstalk.info

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
      On Thursday, Oct 31 upon accessing the ChessTalk site I received a screen warning from my virus protection program McAfee -
      Whoa, you don't want to go there!
      Well I went there anyway and see no problem.
      McAfee, it seems wants to be exceptionally visible in the month preceding the contract renewal date. And guess what. They sent me an email saying that my contract has been renewed automatically even though I did not authorise a renewal. Furthermore, they automatically charged $39.99 to my MasterCard since they had my number recorded at the time of the original purchase.
      Apperently, I am not the only victim of this McAfee policy - others have posted on-line with a similar problem.
      So if you subscribe to McAfee you can be comforted that they will protect you from computer viruses - McAfee does not want competition! They want to be the only virus in your computer. They will deduct cash from your credit card once a year, every year, forever.
      You can cancel your subscription by going to their website and then navigating a complex menu of options - then one option will direct you to a different one - and on and on til you give up.
      I solved the problem with a phone call to their client support number after having resolved to be put on hold for however long it took. I got an email back saying a full refund was on its way. Lets hope so.

chesstalk.info
      Yellow Verdict Image

McAfee TrustedSource web reputation analysis found potential suspicious behavior on this site which may pose a security risk. Use with caution.

Perhaps the site admins or Larry will wish to rectify the security flaw:

The only issue is with the actulal link Chesstalk.info as both Stategy Games and ChessTalk.com appear to be OK

Comment

Re: ChessTalk deemed a virus danger -- chesstalk.info

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post
        The only issue is with the actulal link Chesstalk.info as both Stategy Games and ChessTalk.com appear to be OK
        It looks that chesstalk.com has a video which is hosted somewhere else (montrelism*). This might trigger a caution.

According to the latest news McAfee is a computer killer too. Use with a caution :D

Comment

Re: ChessTalk deemed a virus danger

I have a home business and three computers, so I bought Norton 360 two years ago with automatic renewal. It's been excellent. I used to go with free antivirus, but as the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for".
          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Working...
          X