Jerome Chyurlia speed chess championship held in Ottawa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerome Chyurlia speed chess championship held in Ottawa

The annual Jerome Chyurlia speed chess championship was held at the Ottawa RA center last Thursday. Twenty three players took part in the twelve game, six round swiss tournament.

When the dust finally settled from the mayhem, it was defending champion Joey Qin standing tall as two-time champion. Second place goes to Qiyu Zhou. Everyone keep an eye on this talented young lady.

As usual it was great hosting this event. We look forward to seeing everyone again next year.

As a reminder, the George Raletich Active Clup Championship takes place this coming Thursday. We look forward to seeing you there.

Re: Jerome Chyurlia speed chess championship held in Ottawa

Thanks to Garland for TDing this event in his inimitable style. (Pairings based on order of registration!)

Comment

Re : Jerome Chyurlia speed chess championship held in Ottawa

[QUOTE=Garland Best;59153]

When the dust finally settled from the mayhem, it was defending champion Joey Qin standing tall as two-time champion. Second place goes to Qiyu Zhou. Everyone keep an eye on this talented young lady.

Qiyu will be the 2nd highest Canadian seed at the WYCC in Maribor in 3 days time. She's currently listed as the 16th seed in the U12 Girls. Unfortunately for Qiyu, she has to contend with a 4-time WYCC champion, Kazakhthan's Zhansaya Abdumalik, who already has her 3 WGM norms and who hasn't lost to a lower rated opponent since 2008.

http://www.edgekz.com/the-little-que...s-history.html

Other Canadian podium candidates include the #4 seed, Richard Wang, in the U14 Open; the #22 seed, Jason Cao, in the U12 Open; and for my money, the most likely gold medal winner, the unseeded 6-year-old, Harmony Zhu, in the U8 Girls.

With a little 'luck', perhaps we'll have a repeat of 1986 when Canada won 2 of their 3 ever gold medals. That was the year an 8-year-old Jeff Sarwer won the U10 Open (they didn't have an U8 division back then) and his 10-year-old sister, Julia Sarwer, won the U10 Girls.

Comment

Re: Jerome Chyurlia speed chess championship held in Ottawa

Keeping off-topic - one of the players mentioned in Jack's post as a podium candidate for the WYCC did not participate in the 2012 CYCC. How did they get to play in the WYCC? I thought you had to win your section (or at least play) in the CYCC to advance to the World level.

Comment

Re : Re: Jerome Chyurlia speed chess championship held in Ottawa

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          Keeping off-topic - one of the players mentioned in Jack's post as a podium candidate for the WYCC did not participate in the 2012 CYCC. How did they get to play in the WYCC? I thought you had to win your section (or at least play) in the CYCC to advance to the World level.
          Given Jason, Richard, and Qiyu all won their respective CYCC sections, you're obviously referring to Harmony Zhu (who did not participate in this year's CYCC).

I have no idea how she otherwise qualified, but she's clearly a worthy participant. She's the highest rated U8 player in the country, boys included, and as I posted earlier, is the 2nd highest rated of our 8 girls in the U8/U10/U12/U14 divisions.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Jerome Chyurlia speed chess championship held in Ottawa

The regulation is that if a junior is in the top three of their age group, they can be allowed onto the team if there is an exceptional reason why the junior did not play in the CYCC.

If there was such decision by the executive, it has not been publicized to my knowledge.

Bob A

Comment

Working...
            X