Anthropogenic Climate Change ( title changed ) - Assertion & Denial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthropogenic Climate Change ( title changed ) - Assertion & Denial

Although I am not a great contributor to this thread, I faithfully do read it. The 2nd version of this thread started by Gary Ruben is now too unwieldy, and takes very long to load to see new posts. There was some discussion in it about starting a new thread , but no one of the regulars took the bull by the horns and did it. I like following this thread, and am tired of the loading time.

So would everyone mind now using this new 3rd version of the climate change discussion?

Thanks. Hope this is OK with everyone.

Bob A

Re: Climate Change ( 3rd Version ) - Assertion & Denial

Not ok with me. I was hoping the thread would die, and the posters would decamp to a more appropriate forum. Oh well... I don't read it.

Comment

There are a number of threads on ChessTalk that really need a separate blog. Then maybe we could have a sidebar directing interested parties to that site.
      Perhaps any thread that achieves 10,000 reads could be automatically converted to such a blog. :) With all the computer savvy geniuses who post on ChessTalk, surely one of them must know how to do that.:):)

Comment

Arctic Snow Melting Fast

Arctic snow going fast: http://www.windsorstar.com/technolog...586/story.html

".... increasing CO2 and greenhouse gases are driving the change."

Vlad take note: Windsor Star

Bob A
        Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 5th November, 2012, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Gary Ruben; Thursday, 13th February, 2014, 05:14 PM.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
            Not ok with me. I was hoping the thread would die, and the posters would decamp to a more appropriate forum. Oh well... I don't read it.
            I blame myself...bitterly. :(

Long ago, I posted my doubts about global warming in the now inactive 'Welcome to the Depression' thread. Mr. Seedhouse replied in disagreement, and matters spiralled out of control from there...
            Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
            Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Re: Climate Change ( 3rd Virgin ) - Assertion & Denial

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post

I blame myself...bitterly. :(
              Never blame yourself for anything. Don't get down on yourself. Here in the chess community there are plenty of others who will do that for you. :)
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Arctic Snow Melting Fast

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                Arctic snow going fast: http://www.windsorstar.com/technolog...586/story.html

".... increasing CO2 and greenhouse gases are driving the change."

Vlad take note: Windsor Star

Bob A
                They have been known to get things wrong on some rare occasions like this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  You're Kvetching. It won't help. The truth is out there somewhere.
                  Trust no one.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                    They have been known to get things wrong on some rare occasions like this one.
                    Hi Vlad:

The Windsor Star ( surely not!! ) ... or....Environment Canada...or....both??

Bob A

Comment

Hi Vlad:

Bob A
                      They do say that when the Pope wants to know something with absolute certainty he reads the Windsor Star. Or consults with Environment Canada.

Comment

Hi Vlad:

Bob A
                        People who have not had the experience of being interviewed can become quite upset when they see the final results of their interview in the newspaper. I tend to look at the broad picture and see whether they got the basics correct. What is written is jotted down from notes at the time of the interview and unless the interview is being recorded you can't expect too much other than filling in the big brush strokes. The reporter is also trying to simplify the story so that the average reader can quickly comprehend what they want to convey. When you realize that newspapers are in the entertainment business you don't take every pronouncement too seriously.

For example, on the global warming, green energy front the head of one of those green energy companies sucking the life out of Hydro rate payers and taxpayers and the lifeblood of the Ontario economy wrote a big rambling opinion editorial article on the idea that electricity prices momentarily spiked up to the levels being paid under Ontario's green energy program. Because of this momentary spike the high feed in tariffs were justified by his reasoning. It was a poorly reasoned article and worse it offered proof with links to the Ontario Energy Board. It is bad form to show that you have a reading comprehension problem by linking to material that shows the exact opposite of what you are claiming.

I checked the links and found that the whole premise of the article which was demonstrably false given even a little business or economic sense (it is the weighted average cost of different electricity prices that is more relevant rather than momentary spikes). The kicker was that the whole premise was false and based on a misreading of the graph on the website that he was linking to. The "spike" was actually a spike to prices that were one tenth of what the writer was claiming it was and thus still far below the Green Energy premiums being paid by the Ontario Government. Green energy proponents aren't very good at math (like Obama has admitted). I wrote a letter which pointed out the fallacy of his arguments and also the mathematical error that he had made but it never made it into the newspaper. I guess some sacred cows can't be questioned.
                        Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 6th November, 2012, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I agree. This is totally off topic.

However, as people with a common interest in Chess, we may want to discuss other topics from time to time. As such, the moderators of this site should add a separate section for general discussion. This is the case with almost all other message boards, and should be the same here.

Comment

Last edited by Gary Ruben; Thursday, 13th February, 2014, 05:15 PM.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Climate Change : Obama is Concerned

"We want our children to live in an America that isn’t... threatened by the destructive power of a warming planet." Obama's victory speech.

Bob A

Comment

Working...
                              X