2008 Sudbury Fall Open Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Sudbury Fall Open Questions

When I was browsing the CFC website under tournament listings within Ontario, I noticed this tournament scheduled for the 29-30 (I believe this tournament has been posted recently). However no contact information is given regarding TD, E-mail, Phone, etc.

Since the weather conditions at the moment are not great, I want to make sure my time is not wasted travelling more than three hours up to Sudbury. I was also hoping to check out the University as well.

If anyone knows anything else about this tournament that could help answer my questions regarding a pre-registered list, expected amount of players, posibility of cancelation due to weather, or any general contact information, please feel free to respond.

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: 2008 Sudbury Fall Open Questions

Hello Mike,

To the best of my knowledge, Bob Kiviaho runs this tournament. Another contact in the area is Joe Dumontelle, though it seems Kiviaho's e-mail is now posted in the tournament announcement on the CFC tournaments page (Kiviaho@hotmail.com).

The tournament is generally not large, ranging between 10 and 20 players, but Mr. Kiviaho usually plays. As such, your chances of playing a master are much higher than most tournaments, if that is any incentive to you. I am not aware of any Sudbury tournament ever being cancelled, so I would be inclined to believe the tournament will be on.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Michael von Keitz; Thursday, 27th November, 2008, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Hi Michael,

There is usually around 10 players for the Sudbury Fall Open, and if you are a young and underrated juniour, it is a great opportunity to get some rating points. I think that ratings in this relatively remote location are inflated by about 50-100 points for the majority of players (based on players I have played against both inside and outside of sudbury).

There has never been a pre-registered list, and I doubt there ever will be. Check the tournaments under Bob Kiviaho's name on the CFC site if you want to see who shows up regularly.

The tournament has never been cancelled due to weather, as unlike our brothers in T.O., we know how to handle heavy snow (without calling out the military).

The university is under an expansion as of the past few years, but the primary advantage of Laurentian remains its small class sizes. It is just a good as place as any to get your undergrad, and for some programs, such as Geology (of which I am a grad) it is actually among the best there is.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mavros

Comment

Thank you for the information guys.

I must have assumed that the E-mail posted on the CFC website was in relation to the hotel. The inflation of elo rating was an interesting point as well, and as you mention it probaly would be a good chance to gain some points. The only and last two CFC tournaments I participated in went horrible to say the least - probably due to my lack of experience in otb chess. I was also hoping to check out Laurentian for a major in Economics since the only math I have is the Data Management. Therefore my options are somewhat limited to around 6-7 Ontario universities. I'm not sure if Laurentian has the best reputation in this field, but like I said my options are limited.

Anyways thank you for the responses. Im still 50/50 on going due to some issues and my late timing, and its good to know the tournament wont be cancelled :)

Comment

Working...
        X