The Troyka Bookstore, Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Troyka Bookstore, Toronto

The Russian (or should I say Soviet?) magazine that I subscribed to had a different coloured cover each month - always with a large crown on the front.

Comment

I don't recall getting one like that. There are probably collectors who have them all.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        The Russian (or should I say Soviet?) magazine that I subscribed to had a different coloured cover each month - always with a large crown on the front.
        I am sure that is Schakmatny Bulletin - different month = different colour but the king's crown was always black as I recall... I remember some serious Orange and ugly lime green...
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

When I was publishing the original Chess Canada, we used to go to Troyka for our Russian material for translation. Eventually, we had a trade subscription with Tigran Petrosian who became the editor of '64', the insert to 'Sovietsky Sport'. Each month I would mail him our latest issue and he would send us a packet of 64's.
          This all came to an end after Petrosian lost his match to Bobby Fischer - was it in Buenos Aires?
          In any event, we wrote up the mach in our next issue and I chose the unfortunate heading 'Fischer Stomps Armenian' I later found out that this does not translate well into the Russian. 'Stomps' has the connotation of steps on and grinds into the dirt. And someone told me much later that in Moscow, to call someone an Armenian is to call him a homosexual.
          So we received no more 64's from Petrosian.:(

Comment

I have been wondering what edition of Tal’s magazine the Troyka sold.

Chess Periodicals by Gino de Felice gives this as entry 2114:
            Sahs: Latvijas PSR Saha Federacijas un Centrala Saha Kluba Organs (1959-1990) with Tal being the editor for only nos. 13/14 1965, when Aivars Gipslis took over.
            Beginning with 1960 also published in Russian edition as Shakhmaty.

I assume that Troyka sold the Russian edition.

Now where would I have put the copies I bought back then..?

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              I am sure that is Schakmatny Bulletin - different month = different colour but the king's crown was always black as I recall... I remember some serious Orange and ugly lime green...
              The tradition started in early 1970 and it lasted till 1981 12. Later they switched to a smaller piece and it was alternating queen king rook bishop knight pawn (6 months period). In 1990 or 1991 they changed a title to Chess Express (in Russian) and a cover design.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                on the same note:
                Was it possible to get Shachmaty from the city of Tal aka Ryga, Latvia? It had similar format as CFC bulletin, later it changed to a bigger format.
                Yes, I had an "accidental" subscription to Sahs Riga for a few months. I sent in an order for Shakhmaty but the Latvian publisher messed it up. I believe Troyka carried both versions -- Russian and Latvian.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                  So we received no more 64's from Petrosian.:(
                  After Petrosian lost to Fischer he published a long article in 64 attempting to explain away his poor result. But it didn't help -- he was relieved of his editorial post soon afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
                    he (Petrosian) was relieved of his editorial post soon afterwards.
                    It was not so soon - after 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

This was a shop selling Russian gifts, magazines and books at 799A College Street (near Ossington Ave) in Toronto.

I remember one or two visiting players at the Hart House Chess Club saying that they had stopped by the Troyka to pick up some chess stuff before coming on campus.

Does anyone else have memories of the Troyka? Were there similar shops in Montreal or Vancouver then?
                      I think it was around 1968 when there was a big Russian exhibit at the CNE and I bought 2 finger puppets, a boy and a girl in historic costume. They were one of my favourite toys. A couple of years later I got an orange hockey stick from the Swedish exhibit at the CNE which was very unusual for the time.

I tried reading a Russian chess book, but I really needed to understand the notes, which I gave up on.

I don't recall seeing a chess library at the Lithuanian or Estonian clubs.

Comment

One of my co-members at the Scarborough CC said that Zoltan Sarosy ( now 106 years old and in good health ) was at one time the owner of Troyka. He said he sold and repaired chess clocks, and sold other supplies.

Can anyone confirm this?

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                          It was not so soon - after 5 years.
                          My mistake -- it was after losing to Korchnoi, not Fischer!

Comment

[QUOTE=Bob Armstrong;60054]One of my co-members at the Scarborough CC said that Zoltan Sarosy ( now 106 years old and in good health ) was at one time the owner of Troyka. He said he sold and repaired chess clocks, and sold other supplies.

Can anyone confirm this?

Bob A

The three people I see listed in 1958 at the address are E. Zabudsky, A. Panko and W. Chilchuki. Whether they were proprietors or not, I do not know.
                            Undoubtedly, as the store became more popular, changes to better serve their cliental, would be made.

Comment

I found the reference to The British Chess Magazine’s agreement to sell chess books in the Russian language. It is buried in an article on an English chess congress and has much of interest on old chess books and magazines.

(Brian) Reilly, who kept the magazine going for thirty-three years, was in (Bernard) Cafferty's opinion "the most businesslike" of all the magazine's editors, at least until Murray Chandler. A particular coup by Reilly was to put out feelers at the 1956 Moscow Olympiad which enabled BCM to have a near-monopoly in the West of sales of Russian chess books, which were then the best in the world, as well as being very cheap.

See http://www.chesscafe.com/text/kibitz192.pdf

Comment

So often, the BCM's small stock of a new Russian book would be sold out by the time the magazine reached subscribers in Canada. It was many years before I was able to acquire a copy of Tigran Petrosian's book The Strategy of Reliability, and in the end I had to get that directly from the former Soviet Union.

Comment

Working...
                                X