Robert G. Wade, RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert G. Wade, RIP

Bob Wade died today. Aside from a few paragraphs in TWIC, he had a chess career of a kind in Canada. I believe that he played hors concours in at least one Canadian Championship and may even have made a cross-country tour.

His works on the Interzonals, published the The Chess Player, are among my favourite books. They were Sousse 1967, and Palma de Mallorca 1970, the latter co-edited with Les Blackstock.

Re: Robert G. Wade, RIP

Hi Jonathan,

Please tell us more. The fellow is a legend in chess...I was simply not aware of the Canadian connection.

Sincerely,

Larry

Comment

Born in Dunedin, NZ, April 10, 1921. Died in London, Nov. 29, 2008.

Robert Wade took part in the 1947 Canadian Championship held in Quebec City. He finished 7th out of 14 players. Unfortunately - the tournament book has no biographies of the players.

A short bio can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wade_(chess_player)

My records show that he was in Montreal in early 1947:

February: Abe Yanofsky and R.G. Wade tandem simul (28 boards) at the Verdun CC: won 26; drew 0; lost 2 (Jackson and Imre Poirier).
      February: Abe Yanofsky and R.G. Wade tandem simul (27 boards) at the Central YMCA: won 25; drew 2; lost 0. They also gave lectures and blindfold exhibitions.

(I assume these dates are wrong, since the "Canadian News" section of the May 1947 "Chess" mentions that the two of them arrived in Canada on March 31.)

In Ottawa, Wade won 18, lost 3, and drew 7. "Wade expects to spend several months in Canada and the USA before returning home". (I'm not sure whether "home" meant the UK or NZ).

Before returning home on Oct. 21 "after competing successfully in two USA open events", he gave simuls totalling 126 games in Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, North Battleford, Calgary, Vancouver, and Victoria. He won 191, lost 16, and drew 9. "A talk on theory was given at each centre. Wade visited every province except PEI during his stay in Canada". (remember Newfoundland didn't become a province until 1949).

The July 1947 issue of "Chess" has an article written by him titled "En Route to Canada via Iceland". Wade and Yanofsky left the UK for Iceland (presumably by ship during the winter), and were well received. Yanofsky won an 8-player event; Wade finishing 7th. They gave many simuls all over Iceland - each scoring just over 70%. No time frame is mentioned - probably 3 weeks sounds likely.

The August 1947 issue mentions that in simuls in Saint John, Fredericton, Moncton, and Halifax, Wade scored 68 wins, 6 losses, and 7 draws. In Arvida (now part of the Saguenay municipality, Quebec) he won 19 and lost 1. (Off-topic: this issue also experimented with figurine/algebraic/descriptive notation - rather than its usual descriptive only. For example: 1. [white Pawn symbol] - (e4) K4 [black Pawn symbol] -(e5) K4 2. [white Knight symbol] - (f3) KB3 etc. The readers didn't like this, and it took another 30-35 years before "Chess" switched completely to algebraic.)

My database has 965 of his games - beginning with the Austrlian Championship in 1945, and ending with the Staunton Memorial in August, 2008. In between, he took parts in events all over the world - e.g. Hastings several times, the Stockholm Interzonal (1952), England-USSR match (1954 - he lost twice to Paul Keres), Olympiads (1954, 1956, 1958, 1960, 1962, 1970, 1972). He represented New Zealand in 1970; England in the other years.

Comment

A link to an interview with Wade from the Dec. 1999 issue of the "British Chess Magazine":

http://www.bcmchess.co.uk/news/bcm19...einterview.pdf

Comment

Wade played for Manitoba in 1947 in the annual Manitoba-Minnesota match !

http://chessmanitoba.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            Born in Dunedin, NZ, April 10, 1921. Died in London, Nov. 29, 2008.

Robert Wade took part in the 1947 Canadian Championship held in Quebec City. He finished 7th out of 14 players. Unfortunately - the tournament book has no biographies of the players.

A short bio can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wade_(chess_player)

My records show that he was in Montreal in early 1947:

February: Abe Yanofsky and R.G. Wade tandem simul (28 boards) at the Verdun CC: won 26; drew 0; lost 2 (Jackson and Imre Poirier).
            February: Abe Yanofsky and R.G. Wade tandem simul (27 boards) at the Central YMCA: won 25; drew 2; lost 0. They also gave lectures and blindfold exhibitions.

(I assume these dates are wrong, since the "Canadian News" section of the May 1947 "Chess" mentions that the two of them arrived in Canada on March 31.)
            From Chess Life , May 5, 1947 pg 1

Comment

Larry,

What, you haven't read my entire Canadian chess web site?

David :-)
              http://web.ncf.ca/bw998/canchess.html#VISIT
              (scroll down to Wade)

Comment

Working...
              X