Panama Chess Open II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 8th Rd. Pairings: Panama Chess Open II

"ese eric hansen es un monstruo....comecubanos" - "that Eric Hansen is a monster .... against Cubans" :-)

Comment

Re: Panama Chess Open II

Eric does it again! A nice win this evening leaves Eric mostly unreachable at 7 1/2 points from eight games. He won against Cuban GM Bacallao Alonso Yusnel rated 2580. Meanwhile, Aman Hambleton is still playing on board 3 where a win would move him into second spot with 6 1/2 points - also not too shabby!

This calls for a celebration! So guys if you can arrange to pass through Toronto next Saturday (or any Saturday) we'll have a party for you. In conjunction with the Saturday Rapid where I'm sure you'll carry off the top prizes, we will have a buffet lunch spread. We'll also have a demo board set up so you can show your best games.
      To make this a Roman style Triumph, we'll offer you limo service from the airport! Any prisoners you may have taken at the tournament you can have chained to the rear bumper. Not since the time of the Caesars has such a spectacle been seen. So what say you? No Roman General was ever known to refuse a Triumph in his honour.

Comment

Re: 8th Rd. Results: Panama Chess Open II

Rd. 8 Canadian Results:

Pairings/Results

Round 8 on 2012/12/01 at 17:00
        Bo. No. Name Rtg Pts. Result Pts. Name Rtg No.

1 6 IM Hansen Eric 2539 6½ 1 - 0 5½ GM Bacallao Alonso Yusnel 2580 2
        2 .....
        3 3 GM Cordova Emilio 2568 5 1 - 0 5½ FM Hambleton Aman 2404 18

Eric remains alone in first with one round to go.

Bob A

Comment

Re: 8th Rd. Pairings: Panama Chess Open II

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
          "ese eric hansen es un monstruo....comecubanos" - "that Eric Hansen is a monster .... against Cubans" :-)
          I think it means something like Cuban-eater. Come is the verb comer, to eat.

Comment

Can Aman still earn a GM norm by doing well in round 9?
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Looks like he needed at least a draw that last round to give himself a chance. If the calculator I am using is accurate ( http://skaktal.dk/en/norm.php ) then he can't get a GM norm even with a win in Round 9.

Comment

Re: 8th Rd. Results: Panama Chess Open II

Eric Hansen has virtually won the first prize as he is one point ahead of the second place and the tie-break one (TB1) is the progressive score where he cannot be caught!
                Congratulations.

Comment

I had a difficult endgame with R + R + B + 3P vs. N + N + R + 5P. I also had terribly low time so the Knights proved tricky. It should have been a draw, which would have kept my norm chances alive, but the pressure was too much given my time situation and my pawns all started to fall.

I would have needed to play a much higher rated opponent in the final round to keep my chances alive, but I knew going into this game that I could not lose. My performance with a win tomorrow is 2586 which is simply not enough.

Eric can still be caught at 7.5/8 if he loses his last round, but I'd say he has a pretty good chance to take 1st. Nonetheless, a huge rating gain and performance - truly impressive and showing once again how deserved he is of the GM title.

Comment

An absolutely astonishing performance! Their improvement over the last year has been impressive, and more notably, consistent. Reminds me of Mark Bluvstein when he was moving up the ranks. Unfortunately, well not perhaps for him, he found more lucrative ways to progress through life. Not to be pessimistic, but is this the fate of these two guys?

Comment

Originally posted by dan hunter View Post
                      An absolutely astonishing performance! Their improvement over the last year has been impressive, and more notably, consistent. Reminds me of Mark Bluvstein when he was moving up the ranks. Unfortunately, well not perhaps for him, he found more lucrative ways to progress through life. Not to be pessimistic, but is this the fate of these two guys?
                      These two gentleman have something that Mark doesn't have... and that no other chess player in the world with the exception of perhaps Sebastien Feller possess.

This "something" is what my high school professor called the X factor. Aisthetikos.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                        These two gentleman have something that Mark doesn't have... and that no other chess player in the world with the exception of perhaps Sebastien Feller possess.

This "something" is what my high school professor called the X factor. Aisthetikos.
                        The only thing Feller has is a two year chess ban.

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post
                          The only thing Feller has is a two year chess ban.

Norm
                          I created my first chess.com account and had the chance to talk to him. He said all the allegations against him were false.

Feel free to add me on chess.com; my user name is Andy_Shaw. http://www.chess.com/members/view/Andy_Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post

Hmm I would be surprised if anyone in chess would want to be compared to Feller.
                            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Amazing results.
                              There is a hope to see the ALL-GM Olympic team in this lifetime :D

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                                There is a hope to see the ALL-GM Olympic team in this lifetime :D
                                Not from this nation.
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X