Is It Time for CFC Constitutional Reform??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Time for CFC Constitutional Reform??

Question: Is it now time to consider the CONSTITUTIONAL restructuring of the CFC? I think there has to be an open and vigorous debate on this on the websites and at the provincial association levels. And I think there needs to be a CFC committee to receive deputations on constitutional reform, which will make a recommendation to the governors. I see nothing wrong with starting this process now ( it need not interfere with other CFC financial and restructuring changes in the meantime, as may be currently still necessary ).

Some Options:

1. Executive Committee

Some have suggested that the current 60+ Governor structure is too unwieldy, and it needs to be replaced by a streamlined management structure ( let’s say 8-person executive committee ).. This executive committee could be in for a 1-year term, and will have all power to run the CFC. This committee could be elected geographically somehow by one member- one vote, with the provincial associations continuing to have a voice. Then the elected committee members would decide among themselves as to officer positions.

Modification A : President/VP/Secretary/Treasurer by national vote; 1 each from West, Ontario, Quebec, East ).

Modification B: Or these 8 could be elected from across the country without references to province/territory. However others argue that there must be some type of geographic representation criteria, otherwise all executive might end up coming from Ontario which has the biggest CFC membership base.

Modification C : Another alternative to one member one vote, could be having each Provincial Association elect a member to a somewhat larger Executive Committee, and they would determine how that member would be elected/appointed ( the same as is done now ).

2. Organizer Format :

Some have raised the following argument:

“ Anyone who organizes at least two tournaments with a minimum total of 75 players should automatically become a Governor. They can refuse the honour, but at least all the arm chair quarterbacks will disappear. Organizers/TDs are the backbone of the organization and they should be the ones determining its future. This would lead to a small Management Committee being formed of active organizers, who would have all power to run the CFC. “

My View : As to the role of organizers, I differ with the above. I think that the role of organizer and governor are very different and being good at one doesn’t mean you will be good at the other. The reality is that ever since the inception of the CFC, organizers have had the power to take over the CFC if they wanted to. They merely needed to organize themselves and get elected across the country. The reality is that few organizers want to be bothered with politics and all the other issues that are involved in running the CFC that don’t deal with tournaments. I would not be expecting any better management from a group of organizers conscripted into being governors than now exists. There are other types of organizing and administrative skills that might make a person valuable to the CFC management team. For example, I am not an organizer, though I have organized a number of types of tournaments, and been on a chess club executive. I would be excluded. I don’t think I should be. And there are many others in this category whom you would not want to lose from CFC governance. I agree that organizers/TD’s are the backbone of GENERATING MEMBERSHIPS; I don’t think they are the backbone of CFC management. But I do definitely believe CFC has to put much thought into how to develop more organizers, and to support existing ones.

3. The Current Governor Set-Up ( or a slightly modified version ):

My View: I must say that I personally have always favoured the Governor structure, despite its faults. I like the fact that it is democratic in that it is representative of the entire country. It also puts the power where it belongs, in the local provincial bodies, since they elect/appoint the Governors. They know best which candidates from their province will do the best job. And tournaments are the backbone of the CFC, and these are best coordinated by the provincial bodies.
    I think the problems often pointed out with respect to this structure are due to the lack of commitment by the provincial bodies to making CFC work. They elect/appoint people who do not wish to govern, and who then don’t vote, and bring the whole structure into disrepute. And where there are elections in provinces, then the members are to blame if they fail to elect good people. If they want a vital CFC, then they have to find good candidates and fight to get them elected. And no one in the CFC has been cracking the whip on this one – the CFC has just been wringing its hands bemoaning the fact that there are bad, uninterested governors. There has been no campaign to work with the provinces to get GOOD candidates.

Modification A: However, I do agree that the number of governors seems no longer to make sense. The ratio is about 1 governor per 30 members ( approximately 60 for 1800 members ). I think a proportional reduction in the governors per province is in order, to try to make the structure more streamlined and efficient. And with fewer places, maybe there would be more chance of getting good people. Now the provinces sometimes have trouble getting enough governors, and appoint just anybody to just fill the spot. With fewer governors, maybe it would become a position that would become more desirable and lead to more contesting of the positions by good people. I would suggest a 50% reduction of the number of governors across the board.

Modification B: One further change often proposed is to go to One Member- One Vote. The provinces all have different systems for electing/appointing CFC Governors. Would it be better to have all CFC members in a province having a vote for governors of that province. There could be a province wide vote for province-wide provincial governors. Or perhaps a system similar to that in Ontario would be better, where the province is divided up into regions, and the regions elect a certain number of the provincial governors, based on their CFC membership numbers.

Modification C:

It has been argued:

“ Life Governors should be discontinued. Or let the current ones stay, but from now on only the past president goes onto the executive, and when his term is finished, he has to run for office again like everyone else. Our current system breeds militance AGAINST reform, because the life governors often show a leaning towards do things the way they USED to be done in the GLORY days. Not good when radical change is needed. “

My View: I am sympathetic to this view, though some life governors are very current in their thinking. My support however is more from the democratic point of view. With the current system, the number of life-governors just keeps growing. And they provide more and more of a counterweight to the democratically elected governors. And we no longer know if these former presidents still would have the backing of the current membership. On the other hand, the current system is argued to be good, because it brings valuable management experience to the newly elected governors – after all, these life governors are former Presidents.

Conclusion

I think it is time for the members to petition the Executive/Governors to act on this issue, and to strike a committee to receive deputations on constitutional restructuring and come back with recommendations, or with a set of options. And one issue of importance is whether there will be some type of polling of ordinary members on the recommendations/options, so that the issue is not just governor-decided without any input at the final stage.

What do you think?

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 4th December, 2008, 08:21 AM.

Re: Is It Time for CFC Constitutional Reform??

Hi Bob;
    If what you say is true that we have 60+ Governors.
    Then why do only say 20 ever vote?
    Are the rest dead in the water or just don't care.
    It's this I don't care attitude that has brought the CFC to it's knees.

I agree the CFC has to support it's organizers but I disagree that an Organizer should become a governor automatically because they run big events.
    ie their ideas may only be to generate profits for themselves and not really to help chess in general.
    Sure you can offer big prizes etc. but are you really bringing in new members???

New members should be found at the club levels and the CFC has to support the clubs by promoting there. People that play in the big tournaments already know about the CFC. If Big tournaments were to draw new members then the Unrated lists in a tournament would be far greater. And we all know from postings of results that Unrated players are a very low percentage of actual tournaments. So how can you say that big tournaments bring in New CFC Members?

Junior tournaments bring in new members but how many of those juniors actually join the CFC after they play???

John R. Brown

Comment

I am left wondering. 145 views and only 1 reply.

I thought this issue was a major one for CFC members.

Is it that no one cares? Are there no opinions on this?

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,

This entire situation seems so messed that I get the impression most people avoid it. Personally I am not informed well enough to make a judgment either way. I agree with you that, though, somethings don't seem to have run very smoothly with the CFC lately and (probably radical) changes are needed.

I think it's a shame because that CFC is facing these troubles because, at least around the GTA I get the impression there's a strong desire to play chess.
        - Scarborough Chess Club is booming
        - Willowdale Club is taking some initiatives (I see Toronto Closed again!)
        - Vlad Dobrich found a great location for the Saturday Blitz, and he's been getting over a dozen people lately, which is probably more than before, not to mention it's probably the strongest (regular) blitz event in the country
        - Bryan Lamb's Labour Day (and this year also ThanksGiving) keeps going strong
        - Kitchener produces some fantastic tournament bringing players from across Ontario
        - Hamilton Club also coming up strong
        - Brian Fiedler's upcoming event (Toronto Open) looks stellar

I think the opportunities are all here, with participation sky-rocketing (again I can only observe in Southern Ontario, and am honestly quite ignorant on the chess scene outside of this bubble), seems like we're all out of excuses not to straighten out whatever problems the CFC might be into.

Alex F.

Comment

Hi Alex ;
          You forgot Mei Chen's tournament in Elora.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            My View : As to the role of organizers, I differ with the above. I think that the role of organizer and governor are very different and being good at one doesn’t mean you will be good at the other. The reality is that ever since the inception of the CFC, organizers have had the power to take over the CFC if they wanted to. They merely needed to organize themselves and get elected across the country. The reality is that few organizers want to be bothered with politics and all the other issues that are involved in running the CFC that don’t deal with tournaments. I would not be expecting any better management from a group of organizers conscripted into being governors than now exists. There are other types of organizing and administrative skills that might make a person valuable to the CFC management team. For example, I am not an organizer, though I have organized a number of types of tournaments, and been on a chess club executive. I would be excluded. I don’t think I should be. And there are many others in this category whom you would not want to lose from CFC governance. I agree that organizers/TD’s are the backbone of GENERATING MEMBERSHIPS; I don’t think they are the backbone of CFC management. But I do definitely believe CFC has to put much thought into how to develop more organizers, and to support existing ones.

Modification A: However, I do agree that the number of governors seems no longer to make sense. The ratio is about 1 governor per 30 members ( approximately 60 for 1800 members ). I think a proportional reduction in the governors per province is in order, to try to make the structure more streamlined and efficient. And with fewer places, maybe there would be more chance of getting good people. Now the provinces sometimes have trouble getting enough governors, and appoint just anybody to just fill the spot. With fewer governors, maybe it would become a position that would become more desirable and lead to more contesting of the positions by good people. I would suggest a 50% reduction of the number of governors across the board.

The years when I was selling CFC memberships and the club was insisting everyone be a CFC member, I required a CFC governorship. In fact, failing that I would not have bothered selling the memberships.

Not having a CFC membership as being mandatory would likely have resulted in more club members.

I agree the number of governors should be cut but I don't agree with who should hold the governorships. Those who are selling the game and collecting the money should be the ones who get the say.

Personally, though, I think the problems with the CFC is with the "culture" within the organization and not much is going to change. A successful chess organization is built on a pyramid base with the largest number the weak players. I don't see much that caters to them anymore. The CFC seems to me to have evolved to an organization for the elite players but guess what. They get honourary memberships.

The organization should cast off the shackles of the masters representative. Cast off the shackles of bonus rating points because the Olympiad showed our players are not hotshots who are under rated. It's a fact that very few could manage to score a performance rating which was as high as their own rating. It's time for a patsers representative! An organization is rebuilt from the bottom up and not the other way.

I think it would be easier to build a new organization than to fix what there is now.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
              Hi Alex ;
              You forgot Mei Chen's tournament in Elora.
              You're right, John, thanks for pointing it out.
              I wasn't able to attend this year but from everyone I talked to about it, really enjoyed it and mentioned how well organized it was.
              There's just too much stuff happening !

Alex F.

Comment

“ Anyone who organizes at least two tournaments with a minimum total of 75 players should automatically become a Governor.
                Following this, it would be great to have the most CFC active player in the Governors' list.
                Alex (link to CFC MA), be prepared for the next year ;)

Comment

Alex would be a most worthy successor to the 2007 most active Canadian tournament player !!

Bob

Comment

Major CFC Constitutional Review - Not Timely

I have raised a couple of CFC Constitutional issues recently on the chess websites ( CFC Chess Forum; ChessTalk; Ottawa CC Message Board ). Although there have been many views of the postings, there have been very, very few replies ( here there were only 4 individuals who replied, other than myself ). I have interpreted this relative silence as there being no real appetite among the CFC members for constitutional change at this time.

There has also been very little criticism of the 2008-9 Executive / Governors. The ratings of members are being updated in a timely manner. The new on-line Chess Canada is supposed to be up and running in January 2009 for members. The CFC condominium office is up for sale, as many felt was necessary, given the financial situation of the CFC. The CFC retail business has been outsourced, with a commission arrangement with Amazon.com. There is a new rating system software, SwissSys, which makes tournament submissions more streamlined. It seems that some steps have been taken to try to reduce the significant annual deficit CFC has suffered over the last three years. It seems that in the light of all this, the CFC membership feels the current Governor system “ is getting the job done “. There is no real desire to change the governing system, so long as it appears to be working now.

As a result of all this, I have decided to abandon my pressure on the CFC Executive to form a Constitutional Committee to receive public deputations on constitutional reform. It seems that at the moment, it would be met with only a very modest response ( or less ), as were my postings.
                    I will instead simply make a submission on my own to the Executive for some modest constitutional amendments I would like to see to somewhat streamline the current governor system. I may seek some organized support for my submission. The constitutional file may not currently be a high priority file for the Executive, but they may be interested in some minor modifications to strengthen our governance system.

Bob

Comment

Re: Major CFC Constitutional Review - Not Timely

I will instead simply make a submission on my own to the Executive for some modest constitutional amendments I would like to see to somewhat streamline the current governor system. I may seek some organized support for my submission. The constitutional file may not currently be a high priority file for the Executive, but they may be interested in some minor modifications to strengthen our governance system.

Bob
                      I like that idea Bob - since the handbook is being updated as we speak, clarifications to some of the governance rules would be a good thing. Best of luck with this.
                      I also agree that you are likely correct that any more serious proposals for change would be more or less ignored ... not for lack of merit, but because it seems the organization is only capable of handling a small number of issues at a time... (despite the urgency of said items)
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                      X