"Inside Chess" collection available on DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Inside Chess" collection available on DVD

The entire run of "Inside Chess" - 284 issues (1988-2000) is now available on three DVD's for a reasonable price from a well-known chess supplier. Larry - you might think of ordering a few of these.

Re: "Inside Chess" collection available on DVD

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    The entire run of "Inside Chess" - 284 issues (1988-2000) is now available on three DVD's for a reasonable price from a well-known chess supplier. Larry - you might think of ordering a few of these.
    I have just bought the DVD pak after reading your post. The shipping charges of $25.20 rankle though. Ch*ss C*fe would get more of my business if it could drop its postage charges to Canada to a reasonable level.

Comment

Hugh, any idea on how many Canadian games would be included?

Comment

No idea how many Canadian games are included - I haven't ordered the package. In any case, the games are probably not in PGN format - they would have to be entered manually from the page images.

Comment

Hugh,

Your timing is impeccable... last week I was going to post a message asking if anyone has the Inside Chess edition that was entirely dedicated to Linares 1993 (?)... it was the one that Ivanchuk won by beating Kasparov, Karpov, Anand, and Kamsky. Ivanchuk became the first (and perhaps only?) player to beat both Karpov and Kasparov in the same tournament.

How can I get my hands on a DVD? If Larry orders some, I'll buy one in a heartbeat... Inside Chess was an excellent magazine!!

Jordan
          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
            Linares 1993 (?)... it was the one that Ivanchuk won by beating Kasparov, Karpov, Anand, and Kamsky.
            It should be 1991
            check some historical overview http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5266

93 was Kasparov's, while 94 - Karpov's year.

Comment

For those interested I have some of the "real" thing, years 1988 to 1991 (four volumes) bound in perfect conditions. Make me an offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                It should be 1991
                check some historical overview http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5266

93 was Kasparov's, while 94 - Karpov's year.
                Thanks E!

I knew it was either 1991 or 1993... guess my 50/50 guess was wrong :)

J
                No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

I received the 3-DVD set of Inside Chess magazine this morning (January 28). The first file has the indices of all issues. Each issue is then given in searchable pdf format.

Volume 1, Issue 1 is January 13, 1988 and featured the World Chess Festival at Saint John, New Brunswick. IGM Yasser Seirawan was Editor-in Chief.

Volume 13, Issue 1 January 2000 was the 264th and last issue. It featured a long article by Yasser on the dozen years of the magazine’s existence and the promise of the future.

Erik Malmsten has asked how many Canadian games are included. I approached this the way I would that notorious Microsoft job interview question “How would you move Mount Fuji?” Estimate a yearly number and then state the total result and dare the interviewer to disagree but be able to answer a number of follow-up questions!

I thought about 25 games for six months, so 50 a year and 600 total.

Well, I did check afterwards, and found in the first 13 issues Biyiasas, Day, Spraggett, Ivanov, Fuster, Hebert and Nickoloff accounted for 29 games so that is about right, I guess. Does seem a tad high though – any suggestions on a better estimate? – I really need this job with Microsoft.

In those early issues many things caught my eye. This anecdote about testing Kasparov’s mental faculties for one:

His memory is phenomenal. Various tests were given to measure his ability to remember games, reading passages, and overheard conversations. He had no difficulty reconstructing game positions he had been shown for just a few seconds. After reading previously untranslated books for a set period of time, he was given tests on recall and com- prehension. His results were at the very top.

The suggestion to test his ability to recall conversations was brought about by a famous Fischer anecdote. During the World Championship in Reykjavik, Bobby reputedly called an Icelandic friend, only to have a little girl answer in Icelandic. Many hours later, Fischer repeated back what she said well enough that Icelanders could understand her words. Kasparov, never one to back down from a challenge, volunteered to attempt a similar test with Chinese. He fell flat on his face.

From an interview with Peter Biyiasis

"I remember playing one day in the old Winnipeg Jewish Chess Club," recalls Peter. "Yanofsky enters dressed in a suit and holding a big cigar. It was the first time I'd seen him. He just walked in and walked out. I was in awe."
                  But it wasn't until 1967, when he moved to Vancouver, B. C., that Peter's talent became apparent. In the span of five years, he zoomed from being a Class B player to Canadian champion.

Looking back, Biyiasis attributes his leap in strength to the presence of tough local opponents-the likes of GM Suttles and FMs Harper, Zuk, and Berry - and to careful study. In particular, says Peter, Fischer's Sixty Memorable Games and Smyslov and Levenfish's Rook and Pawn Endings did the most to improve his play.

IC March, 1988

From Tal in Los Angeles

Naturally when I give a simultaneous, the first question is always about Fischer. Silman: Have you spoken with him in the last few years? Tal: No. It's been my dream to see Bobby on this trip. We were good friends. I'm very fond of him. When I was ill in Curacao, Bobby made a point of visiting me in the hospital. It surprises me that many people ask about this after so many years have passed.

IC April, 1988

There is an interview with the 78-year old Geza Fuster in the May 1988 issue.

I myself would like the dozen volumes of Inside Chess bound and sitting on my shelves. But that requires space and money for binding and storage. The beauty of the DVD format is portability, being able to search the database and, really, no space requirement at all.

But DVDs can break or get corrupted with time, so you should have an unimpeachable back-up.

Comment

I found the issue you wanted on the second disk.

The cover reads:
                    INSIDE CHESS
                    Volume 4, Issue 7
                    April 15, 1991
                    Ivanchuk Wins Linares
                    Strongest Tournament Ever
                    All 91 Games Inside

The editorial begins:

The old joke that a camel is a horse designed by a
                    committee helps me understand what happened to this
                    issue. THE tournament in chess history had just been completed and in every respect Linares 1991 was a chess-lover's dream come true. The players came to fight, the games were creative, tense duels of the highest quality. The fight for first was like a Hollywood script. In the end the youthful Vassily Ivanchuk triumphed by beating the three highest-rated players in the tournament clinching first. Wow! We were impressed.

The crosstable is headed Category 17 (2658) and the players in descending order are Ivanchuk (2695) 9.5, Kasparov (2800) 9, Beliavsky (2640) 8, Speelman (2610) 7.5, Yusopov (2605) 7.5, Salov (2645) 7, Karpov (2725) 6.5, Timman (2630) 6.5, Anand (2635) 6, Gurevich (2650) 6, Ljubojevic (2590) 6, Gelfand (2700) 5.5, Ehlvest (2650) 3.5 and Kamsky (2640) 2.5.

Ivanchuk was the only unbeaten player.

Thank you for mentioning this great tournament. I am afraid that I was totally unaware of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                      I found the issue you wanted on the second disk.

The cover reads:
                      INSIDE CHESS
                      Volume 4, Issue 7
                      April 15, 1991
                      Ivanchuk Wins Linares
                      Strongest Tournament Ever
                      All 91 Games Inside

The editorial begins:

The old joke that a camel is a horse designed by a
                      committee helps me understand what happened to this
                      issue. THE tournament in chess history had just been completed and in every respect Linares 1991 was a chess-lover's dream come true. The players came to fight, the games were creative, tense duels of the highest quality. The fight for first was like a Hollywood script. In the end the youthful Vassily Ivanchuk triumphed by beating the three highest-rated players in the tournament clinching first. Wow! We were impressed.

The crosstable is headed Category 17 (2658) and the players in descending order are Ivanchuk (2695) 9.5, Kasparov (2800) 9, Beliavsky (2640) 8, Speelman (2610) 7.5, Yusopov (2605) 7.5, Salov (2645) 7, Karpov (2725) 6.5, Timman (2630) 6.5, Anand (2635) 6, Gurevich (2650) 6, Ljubojevic (2590) 6, Gelfand (2700) 5.5, Ehlvest (2650) 3.5 and Kamsky (2640) 2.5.

Ivanchuk was the only unbeaten player.

Thank you for mentioning this great tournament. I am afraid that I was totally unaware of it.
                      Wayne,

You're most welcome. It's the first time I had ever seen an entire issue of a magazine dedicated to one tournament, and had every game published, some with tremendous analysis. Notable games were the historic first-round match between Ivanchuk and Kasparov. The analysis, especially the pre-game stories about the drawing of lots and Kasparov's inner fears of facing Chucky, was excellent!

I also remember one game where Anand was completely winning, and then played a series of six or seven ?? moves to end up losing. I think he had White against Kamsky, but I cannot completely remember at this point.

Anyway, almost all of the games were entertaining, and the analysis was very thorough but easy to follow. A must-read for the tournament player.

Jordan

Comment

Jordan wrote:

It's the first time I had ever seen an entire issue of a magazine dedicated to one tournament
                        The CFC devoted some complete magazine issues to Canadian Closeds over the years.

Comment

Perhaps I can help a bit with the Anand game you remember since I have the IC disk open on the screen in front of me.

As white, Anand lost to Ivanchuk, as white, to Beliavsky, as black, to Salov, as white, to Gurevich and as black, to Gelfand but, as white, beat Kamsky. It would seem that the two candidates for the game you are trying to recollect are the ones with Beliavsky and Gurevich.

In the Beliavsky game, Yasser, as annotator, says with frustration, “after Anand’s 34.Kc1? – I had to read the bulletin twice to believe that he played this lemon. Black is completely lost after the obvious 34.Qa5 intending nothing more than the simple Qa5xa7. (clip) What on earth does Kb2-c1 accomplish?”

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

From an interview with Peter Biyiasis

"I remember playing one day in the old Winnipeg Jewish Chess Club," recalls Peter. "Yanofsky enters dressed in a suit and holding a big cigar. It was the first time I'd seen him. He just walked in and walked out. I was in awe."
                            But it wasn't until 1967, when he moved to Vancouver, B. C., that Peter's talent became apparent. In the span of five years, he zoomed from being a Class B player to Canadian champion.

Looking back, Biyiasis attributes his leap in strength to the presence of tough local opponents-the likes of GM Suttles and FMs Harper, Zuk, and Berry - and to careful study. In particular, says Peter, Fischer's Sixty Memorable Games and Smyslov and Levenfish's Rook and Pawn Endings did the most to improve his game.
                            I apologise in advance for the mini-rant, but how difficult can it be to spell our third grandmaster's surname correctly? Chesstalk readers would be all over anyone who persisted in writing about "Bobby Fisher." It's "Biyiasas," not "Biyiasis."

Comment

Dan, I abhor a misspelled name. I should know better about a Canadian player.

I have just reread the interview in question in the 4th issue of the Inside Chess DVD. The author, John Donaldson, does indeed spell the last name “Biyiasis” in the story four times. However, the three games quoted are headed quite properly with “Biyiasas”.

I should have checked more thoroughly what I had written.

Comment

Working...
                              X