The Toronto Chess Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Toronto Chess Club

Is there a listing of the addresses of the Toronto Chess Club through the years somewhere on-line? It would be very helpful some day when some one sits down to write a history of the chess clubs in the Greater Toronto Area.
    Four years ago there was a thread in this Forum about the history of the Scarborough Chess Club. From that I have taken some of the memories for this posting.

When I first came to Toronto as a student, I played in a simultaneous at the Toronto Chess Club. Lionel Joyner took on 21 opponents with two games blindfolded from 8:00 to 10:30 on October 26, 1961.

The two blindfold opponents had their moves called out from a back room while Joyner chain-smoked replying.

My recollection is that the club was on an upper floor (the second?) at 801 Yonge Street. That was on the east side of Yonge Street, just north of Bloor. That site is occupied now by the Toronto Reference Library.

In 1970 Chess Canada had an inside cover advertisement for the Toronto Chess Club at 321 Davenport. T. Carleton was the President and Professor Maurice Lister was the Vice-President.

“The TCC used to have a plaque reading “Established 1880” but really dates from the 1840s. The Central YMCA Chess Club dates from the 1880s as well. The two clubs merged around 1976 and moved to the old courthouse at 57 Adelaide Street East (at Church)”. It is an imposing pile, three storeys high, very solid, with four immense stone columns, two on each side of the entrance. Something to rival the Moscow Central Chess Club on Gogolsky Boulevard perhaps!

“President Jaeger thought that there should be a new name, something like Toronto Central CC. Despite a heavy investment in renovations, the club had to move in 1978 when the main tenant went under, moved to 109 Vaughan Road, north of St. Clair”.

I have a listing for the City Chess Club in 1985 at 519 Church Street.

The correspondents on the thread about the Scarborough Chess Club mentioned one other site for the TCC in downtown Toronto – at the old Consumers’ Gas Building. There is one at 19 Toronto Street, a street running from Adelaide St E to King St E, two blocks east of Yonge. This was the financial district in the 1880s but the correspondents were clearly talking of the club being there one hundred years later! Conrad Black’s Toronto headquarters were at 10 Toronto Street since 1978. Before that it was owned by E.P. Taylor and then J.A. McDougald.

Really, you could make a very good walking tour of Toronto chess and the rich and powerful in that area.

The Toronto Club seems to have died and been resuscitated throughout its career. I would be grateful to anyone who can add to this listing with memories of the Club or make corrections to the dates, addresses or descriptions or update the history, especially before 1960.

Re: The Toronto Chess Club

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

The correspondents on the thread about the Scarborough Chess Club mentioned one other site for the TCC in downtown Toronto – at the old Consumers’ Gas Building. There is one at 19 Toronto Street, a street running from Adelaide St E to King St E, two blocks east of Yonge.
    In the 1970's there was a chess club in the new Consumers Gas building at 500 Consumers Rd. They had it in the cafeteria as I recall. I was involved with the Scarborough club at the time so never attended. I seem to recall we played them once in the Toronto team league.

19 Toronto St. is a great building and might be an historical site. I was at the building a few times.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

You might want to check out Bob Armstrong's "Toronto Chess News" (www.torontochessnews.com). Subscription is free and the latest issue has an interesting article by Erik Malmsten on the history of the Toronto Chess Club. Lots of interesting tidbits.

The chess club located in the Consumer's Gas (now Enbridge) building on Consumers Road was the Willowdale Chess Club, I think. This was back in the 1970's.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
        You might want to check out Bob Armstrong's "Toronto Chess News" (www.torontochessnews.com). Subscription is free and the latest issue has an interesting article by Erik Malmsten on the history of the Toronto Chess Club. Lots of interesting tidbits.

The chess club located in the Consumer's Gas (now Enbridge) building on Consumers Road was the Willowdale Chess Club, I think. This was back in the 1970's.
        I think this is great!

I enjoy this historical stuff...I take guided tours of Montreal on a regular basis to understand the history of the city that I love. We have a great history and I enjoy celebrating it!

I am very proud to be a Montrealer...a Quebecker and a Canadian!

A Canadian treasure for chess, is my good friend Hugh Brodie, who has been great at this stuff! (Hugh can you give us a history on the Montreal Chess Club or send us to a site where you do this historical stuff?)

David Cohen, Erik Malmsten, Stephen Wright and Frank Dixon are also excellent contributors...we are lucky to have them! Sorry if I forgot someone...

David recently updated the CFC Canadian Junior Championship trophy so that we will be able to proudly present this special award (like the Stanley Cup...hmm...maybe not for this season LOL) at the end of the year! He also created the Canadian Chess Hall of Fame which is fantastic!

Larry

Comment

I have just had a look at Erik Malmsten’s piece in the TCN and found it very interesting. I hope there is a complete set of “Rank and File”, the Toronto Chess Club newsletter, preserved somewhere for future generations! It would be wonderful to have a pdf scan of the issues on-line. I spent a couple of hours googling “the Toronto Chess Club” for my piece without finding very much at all.

I went down to 57 Adelaide St E yesterday to look at the Adelaide Court Building once more. It now is a trattoria called Terroni.

The last time I was in there was in the 70s to help Jeremy Gaige, the chess historian. He wanted the birth date of a prominent émigré from Eastern Europe, who was a regular player. I asked the man for the information but he said that he still had family in Russia or Poland or the Ukraine, I cannot remember which, and didn’t want to give any biographical details that would compromise them. That was that – my career as a potential chess historian cut short!

Comment

The last time I was in there was in the 70s to help Jeremy Gaige, the chess historian. He wanted the birth date of a prominent émigré from Eastern Europe, who was a regular player. I asked the man for the information but he said that he still had family in Russia or Poland or the Ukraine, I cannot remember which, and didn’t want to give any biographical details that would compromise them. That was that – my career as a potential chess historian cut short![/QUOTE]

What was the name of that emigre?
            :)

Comment

Hi Wayne:

Can I suggest you contact the CFC President, Michael von Keitz, about copies of Rank and File. He had spoken to me about having some in the office and whether I wanted them to scan them for possible future material for Toronto Chess News articles. I was not able to do that, and so he still has them to my knowledge. You might be able to arrange to borrow them to scan them.

Bob A, TCN Editor

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
                This was back in the 1970's.
                Yes. I seem to recall a club in West Hill at a school and also a second club in Scarborough as well as the Scarborough Chess Club.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                  Is there a listing of the addresses of the Toronto Chess Club through the years somewhere on-line? It would be very helpful some day when some one sits down to write a history of the chess clubs in the Greater Toronto Area.

My recollection is that the club was on an upper floor (the second?) at 801 Yonge Street. That was on the east side of Yonge Street, just north of Bloor. That site is occupied now by the Toronto Reference Library.

In 1970 Chess Canada had an inside cover advertisement for the Toronto Chess Club at 321 Davenport. T. Carleton was the President and Professor Maurice Lister was the Vice-President.

Really, you could make a very good walking tour of Toronto chess and the rich and powerful in that area.
                  a few years ago I did try to make a list of all of the addresses of the Toronto Chess Club. In the 1860s it was on the NW corner of King and Jarvis, 2nd floor, across from City Hall. In the early 1900s it was in the office of the church at the SW corner of Church and Adelaide [The President of the Toronto Chess League was the Bishop]. In the 1940s-50s it was above the Arcade mall, Victoria across from Lombard.

A complete set of the rank and file, the Toronto CC newsletter, was donated to the City Archives, Davenport and Spadina.

Comment

I am working on getting a set, scanning it, and saving the file as a pdf. Then I will make it available, assuming that I am not infringing on any copyright.

My only worry is that sometimes these files can get bloated and I will have to find how to deal with that, lest it occurs.

I wonder if any descriptions or drawings of the club rooms of the TCC in the old days can be found. It is interesting to picture the captains of industry, with side-whiskers, smoking their pipes and pondering over their next moves.

Comment

Addresses of Toronto chess clubs from the Toronto Chess League Year Book 1945.

DIRECTORY OF MEMBER
                      BEACHES
                      St. John's Norway Hall
                      N. Beerman, 99 Burgess, GR. 9690 Tuesdays

CAN. GEN. ELECTRIC, 4th Floor, Yonge St. Arcade
                      H. McCreadie, 140 Pearson, LA. 6509 Mondays

CENTRAL Y.M.C.A. Central Y.M.C.A.
                      A. Lunge, 41 Manning, WA. 6391, Wed. & Fri,

DEM. HUNGARIAN. Dem. Hun. Club, 350 Dundas W.
                      F.Pataky, c-o 350 Dundas W., KI. 6325 Tues.

NORTH TORONTO 251 Ranleigh Ave.
                      F. L. Hogg, 251 Ranleigh Ave., HU. 0392 Fri.

QUEEN CITY 270 Huron St.
                      B. Freedman, 7 Adelaide W., EL. 6862, Ev. Night

R. E. L. 270 Huron St.
                      J. W. Wallace, 158 Bingham, HO. 6377, Tues.

ROGERS MAJESTIC 270 Huron St.
                      G. Carpenter, 984 Brial Hill, KE. 4562 Fridays

ST. JUDE'S Church Hall, 437 Roncesvalles
                      H. Burkhardt, 101 Ritchie. LL. 0833 Mondays

TORONTO 4th Floor. Yonge St. Arcade
                      L. Hickman, 254 Monarch Pk., AD. 6611,
                      Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays

DAILY STAR No Regular Meeting Place
                      K. Cook, 264 Erskine, HU. 5239

ULSTER Ulster Athletic Club
                      H. Ridout, The Lindens, Bain Ave., ME. 3553
                      Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays

U. of T. Hart House, U. of T,
                      K. Orlando, 106 Balsam, HO. 0562

VICTORY 270 Huron St.
                      A. L, Rubinoff, 364 Markham, RA. 6755
                      Thursdays

WEST END High Park United Church
                      G. Coyne, 448 Willard, JU. 7487 Mondays

If any needs a PDf file let me know.

Comment

I am at present reading “Writings in Chess History” by John S. Hilbert. The first two essays have Steinitz at the Montreal Chess Club in November of 1893 and Zukertort in Canada in January of 1884.

The latter is 36 pages long and mentions the Athenaeum Chess Club in Toronto, the Toronto Chess Club and gives games of blindfold exhibitions in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. There is an anecdote of a player being allowed to play Zukertort in a simul, all the while consulting from a huge pile of opening books! I think you can guess the result.

The essay ends with an interview about how Z. sees the board when playing blindfold and the skills he possesses that enable him to do so.

Comment

I remember that during Bobby Fischer's tenure as World Champion, the Toronto Chess Club was located in the YMCA building on College St. Alan Brown was one of the top junior players at the time.

I was wondering when did the Toronto Chess Club move from the YMCA on College St and where did the Toronto Chess Club move to?

For a certain time period in the 1980's the Toronto Chess Club was located on Raglan Ave (St Clair & Bathurst avenue) on the top of a store front.

Was the Raglan Avenue location the final location for the club before the Toronto Chess Club closed its doors.

Comment

The Toronto Chess Club moved from the old Central Y to the courthouse on Adelaide early in 1975. I played my first rated tournament there (didn't win a single game!). In early 1977 it moved again, to Vaughan Rd., above a laundromat.

Comment

You are right Ken, Vaughan Ave (Not Raglan) was the location of the Toronto Chess Club located above a laundry mat.

Do you remember what year the Toronto Chess Club closed its doors? I believe that the Vaughan location was the last home of the Toronto Chess Club.

Comment

Working...
                              X