Shirov - Let's Ban FIDE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shirov - Let's Ban FIDE!

It seems Shirov is po'd about the latest FIDE drug testing fiasco at the chess olympiad.

To quote - "IOC has never guaranteed that chess would become the Olympic sport, so the FIDE policy in licking their posterior is at least questionable".

Gotta love it!

The full article is on Chessbase http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5047

Cheers

Dave

Re: Shirov - Let's Ban FIDE!

Shirov is, of course, completely correct. Why does Kirsan want to be recognized by the IOC so badly, anyway?

Comment

As stated recently: there never was a chance that chess could become an Olympic sport, but being on that IOC list might help some countries get government funding. Not Canada though, of course. IOC's action in embracing mind sports was based on the millenia-old principle: keep your friends close, your enemies closer. Chess is an enemy to IOC.

It's not Kirsan and the IOC, it's FIDE and the IOC. The process started long before Kirsan.

Going for the doping control must have seemed an expensive but "easy" way to get onto that IOC Mind Sports list. What are FIDE's choices?:

annul Ivanchuk, medals to Hungary, ban
      annul Ivanchuk, medals to Hungary
      annul Ivanchuk, ban
      annul Ivanchuk,
      find a technical/procedural reason not to punish Ivanchuk
      find a humanitarian reason not to punish Ivanchuk
      "just say No" to drug testing in chess.
      {add your option}

Ironically, Ivanchuk is the player who was screwed by the Nunn / San Luis 2005 / Mexico City cycle. On merit he should have qualified for the World Championship competition twice, but because of peculiar selection rules he was bypassed on both occasions. I'm sure there was no ill will on FIDE's part. Ivanchuk accepted these injustices with very good grace, and began a hectic schedule to counteract what was seen as his weakness as a top competitor: "nerves".

I don't think there will be any FIDE meltdown. They will just do what Kirsan says. If Kirsan says "ban", there will be no outcry amongst chess bureaucrat/politicos. They'll nod sagely and say "He knew what the rules were".

We've had Anand - Kramnik, and Kamsky - Topalov matches inside FIDE. Anybody got 50 grand or so? How about an (unrated, if necessary) 6+ game match between Ivanchuk and Carlsen ? Or, crikey, an Ivanchuk - Nakamura match at various time controls. That really would be a world championship of fast chess.

Why not both? Obviously, they would be "outside the auspices of FIDE", taking advantage of a situation that is likely to arise.

Comment

In regards to drug testing- Is there any scientific proof that there is a drug that exists that will lead to increased performance in mental activities such as chess??

There's probably products out there that claim to lead to increased concentration and ability to focus, but can it be proven that this actually improves performance in chess?

To me, drug testing in chess is an idiotic idea and a waste of money. Why not use the resources to prevent computer cheating, which can obviously give players a clear advantage over those not using technology.

Comment

Jonathan, I thought that FIDE and Kirsan were synomous with each other.

By the way, as far as FIDE's choices go, I'll take the last option.

I don't think that chess players should have to put themselves through an invasive, and frankly, utterly useless drug test, ergo I don't think they should be punished if they didn't show up for it.

Comment

I agree, FIDE should be sidelined as irrelevent. These petty dictators need to be shown that there's a limit to what they can do!

Comment

Working...
            X