Cooperative Chess Coalition (CCC) – Chess Reform? – Women’s World Chess Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women’s World Chess Championship - Strategy for Reform

Did you send them a picture? A picture of the money the majority wouldn't receive if only the elite get to play?
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      Did you send them a picture?
      Fantastic idea Gary. I also think a picture of me should be included in an email sent to the top 100 women chess players.

If you're skeptical, why not send out the email and wait for responses. If you hear nothing try re-sending except with my picture as an attachment.

In4later...

Comment

Re: Cooperative Chess Coalition (CCC) – Chess Reform? – Women’s World Chess Champions

Knock out is a good format. The matches are competitive. It's possible to bet on a match knowing there will be a winner.
        Betting is such a big spinoff part of sports activities. Why not maximize the number of matches in chess where people can often reasonably bet on the long shot/underdog by having such short knockout matches? If chess is to become more popular perhaps such betting should be encouraged.
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Re: Cooperative Chess Coalition (CCC) – Chess Reform? – Women’s World Chess Champions

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
          If chess is to become more popular perhaps such betting should be encouraged.
          Paul Bonham, get out of Kevin Pacey's body! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
            Fantastic idea Gary. I also think a picture of me should be included in an email sent to the top 100 women chess players.

If you're skeptical, why not send out the email and wait for responses. If you hear nothing try re-sending except with my picture as an attachment.

In4later...
            Great idea!! A consolation prize. Don't let them use you and abuse you. :)
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hmm... to be frank here, I kind of just don't give enough of a crap about women's chess to want to change it. Plus, women are not going to listen to men trying to "reform" their system, it's a waste of time and energy.

Good luck with the proposal Bob. A for effort :)
              Shameless self-promotion on display here
              http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey
                Betting is such a big spinoff part of sports activities. Why not maximize the number of matches in chess where people can often reasonably bet on the long shot/underdog by having such short knockout matches? If chess is to become more popular perhaps such betting should be encouraged.

Originally Posted by Jean Hébert
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey
                If chess is to become more popular perhaps such betting should be encouraged.

Paul Bonham, get out of Kevin Pacey's body! :)

Given that the Women's World Championship format currently is what it is, perhaps my spin on it is not as *radical* as some of Paul's ideas. :D

To argue the case for short knockout matches perhaps being made more common even further, by analogy one might think of what would make TV game shows probably less popular. Namely, having them twice as long (i.e. one hour rather than the usual 1/2 hour), with a resulting much greater number of skill testing questions for contestants to answer.

Such a show would likely IMHO be won much more often than with a 1/2 hour format by the most knowledgable ('skillful') contestant, as other contestants with a smaller knowlege base would have less of a chance to get sufficently lucky (happening to know an answer) over and over again enough times to win such a 1 hour show. Such a 1 hour show may please purist fans and scholarly types, but generally a large share of the public would be less interested in it.

Similarly, as we obviously know with chess matches, the stronger player will normally be upset less often as far as loss of the match goes (barring an unusually inconvenient lower rated opponent), the longer the match goes. The question is, should world chess championship (male/female) organizers try to please the existing chess fan base who may be normally purist types that like to see the favourite (more skillful) chessplayer win as normally as possible, or should organizers try to appel to a more sporting instinct possessed by the wider and more numerous public at large that likes to see the underdog win more often?

Even in tennis there are more upsets likely to happen than in typical lengthy chess matches, plus in [edit: lengthy] chess matches draw after boring draw can happen quite frequently before a decisive game happens.
                Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 7th December, 2012, 09:50 PM. Reason: Spacing

Comment

I don't care if Kotov wrote that it's always better to have White; I prefer playing Black against some players.-K.P.

Who is K.P.?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                    I don't care if Kotov wrote that it's always better to have White; I prefer playing Black against some players.-K.P.

Who is K.P.?
                    It is me. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                      It is me. :)
                      Precisely my question.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                        Precisely my question.
                        Fwiw, retired Canadian GM Duncan Suttles liked having Black. Adorjan and Rowson are two GMs who have championed Black's cause in their books.

I spoke for myself, playing against the lower level players that I do. Kotov's assertion doesn't seem to always apply at my level (generally below 2400+), hence I wrote what I wrote. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                          There was no need to ask Ponomoriov what he thought about future of the championship in Prague in 2002 or 2003 ;)
                          I love womens chess. It reminds me of food.

After leaving you that recipe for cabbage rolls I was inspired to try it last weekend. Delicious.

Now the topic is back to womens chess, would you like a nice recipe for potato latkes? The grease oozes out of them. Very east European. :)
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Now the topic is back to womens chess, would you like a nice recipe for potato latkes? The grease oozes out of them. Very east European. :)
                            I needed to check with a dictionary (aka Wiki) what latkes were. I don't use this word. For us they are potato pancakes (bulviniai blynai). Simple to prepare with a grating machine. I bought a grating disc in Germany.
                            Traditionally we used sour cream, in Germany it was with apple source + sugar. Now the wife makes a special source.

I think borsch helped Ushanina to win the WWCC. She had healthy blood as red borsch :D

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

I think borsch helped Ushanina to win the WWCC. She had healthy blood as red borsch :D
                              Does she prefer hot borscht or cold Borscht? I prefer cold borscht in the summer.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Does she prefer hot borscht or cold Borscht?
                                Hot in winter, cold in summer. She prefers cooked raw beets, I need to put some sour cream.

Even Ushenina prefers light beets color :D

H.Bond agrees in the background :)

Comment

Working...
                                X