Any updated info. on Ontario Open 2012?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any updated info. on Ontario Open 2012?

I'd like to make plans to go this year.
    Is there any updated details yet?

Re: Any updated info. on Ontario Open 2012?

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
    I'd like to make plans to go this year.
    Is there any updated details yet?
    Hi John, we should be publishing more details in the next month or so. Some of us have been busy working behind the scenes for the long-range organization of the CO/CYCC.

In addition, it's a bit early for me to secure final best deals on staying in residence at the neighbouring Carleton University. There will definitely be good prices, but I cannot get them finalized yet, especially with the "Christmas effect". If you are trying to decide whether to stay over on Monday evening, I can tell you the last round will start at 3pm on the holiday Monday. With a time control of 90 minutes + 30 seconds, most games will be done by 6pm, and all games (barring freak endings) should be done by 7pm.

Is there any other information that I could provide immediately, before official posting?

Thanks and regards, Aris in Ottawa.

Comment

Hi Aris:

What dates are we talking about for the 2013 Ontario Open - Victoria Day Weekend?

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Hi Aris:

What dates are we talking about for the 2013 Ontario Open - Victoria Day Weekend?

Bob A
        Hi Bob, yes, I thought that was the "standard". By the way, if someone like you were to come, from the GTA, what is the earliest time for the first round on the Saturday, that would allow you to drive down that morning, thus saving you lodging expense for Friday?

Thanks for your's, and anyone else's, input on that.

Comment

Hi Aris:

Can't exactly remember how long it took from Toronto proper ( near Yonge and Bloor ) to get to Ottawa - it's about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to Kingston. Is it then about another 1 1/2 hours to Ottawa?

If we are looking at 4 1/2 hours, and a start time of 10:00 AM, and an hour to check in to the Sat. night lodging, get breakfast, get to the playing hall, and have a couple of minutes to relax a bit before playing ( don't know if an hour is really sufficient for all this ), that gets us leaving Toronto at 4:30 AM. Would be nice if the start time could be a bit later - otherwise not a long sleep Friday night/Saturday morning!

My best shot - someone who drives it more regularly can maybe tighten up on the actual driving time ( and keep it at no more than 110-120 Km/hr when calculating, for those of us who like to avoid tickets ).

Bob A

Comment

Hi Aris:

Can't exactly remember how long it took from Toronto proper ( near Yonge and Bloor ) to get to Ottawa - it's about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to Kingston. Is it then about another 1 1/2 hours to Ottawa?

If we are looking at 4 1/2 hours, and a start time of 10:00 AM, and an hour to check in to the Sat. night lodging, get breakfast, get to the playing hall, and have a couple of minutes to relax a bit before playing ( don't know if an hour is really sufficient for all this ), that gets us leaving Toronto at 4:30 AM. Would be nice if the start time could be a bit later - otherwise not a long sleep Friday night/Saturday morning!

My best shot - someone who drives it more regularly can maybe tighten up on the actual driving time ( and keep it at no more than 110-120 Km/hr when calculating, for those of us who like to avoid tickets ).

Bob A
            Hi Bob, excuse me if I mis-asked. Here is what I meant : I have already decided that the rounds on the last day would be at 10am and 3pm, so that almost everyone could be on the road by dinner time. However, I am heavily leaning towards making the rounds on the first day, later than that, precisely to save people like you about 33% on lodging. So, hope that's more clear, when's the earliest I could make the first round, so that you would drive on the Saturday? The forfeit time would be 30 minutes, if that influences your decision. I guess you would drive straight, eat on the way, and check into lodging between rounds?

Thanks again, Aris.

Comment

Hi Aris:

If my driving time is close, and we checked in between rounds ( eating Breakfast takes the same time whether on the way or in Ottawa, I would think ), then I'd say 11:00 AM would be OK for me to come on the Saturday for a first round ( I'd prefer not using up my clock time in travelling ). Getting up at that time to save the expense of a night's lodging is worth it.

But I'm sort of a night owl, and don't mind driving. May want to get some other Torontonian opinions before you go to a Saturday start date.

Bob A

Comment

Hi Aris:

If my driving time is close, and we checked in between rounds ( eating Breakfast takes the same time whether on the way or in Ottawa, I would think ), then I'd say 11:00 AM would be OK for me to come on the Saturday for a first round ( I'd prefer not using up my clock time in travelling ). Getting up at that time to save the expense of a night's lodging is worth it.

But I'm sort of a night owl, and don't mind driving. May want to get some other Torontonian opinions before you go to a Saturday start date.

Bob A
                Hi Bob, here's what I was thinking :

Saturday : 12noon and 5pm
                Sunday : 11am and 4pm
                Monday : 10am and 3pm

I added one hour to your preference, as there will always be some who register onsite!

The rooms at the RA Centre have already been booked, and key volunteers will have been there for hours anyway, but what do people think already about the above rounds schedule? We need your input now, BEFORE(LOL) the schedule is finalized and published!
                Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Monday, 10th December, 2012, 04:10 PM. Reason: changed an LOL

Comment

Hi Aris:

Seems like you are taking good steps to accomodate out-of-town players, both re expenses, and travel. It should attract more players, I would hope. Seems good to me.

Bob

Comment

Aris, is your email still with @rogers.com?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      Aris, is your email still with @rogers.com?
                      Yes, arismarghetis at rogers dot com - but it was unavailable a few weeks ago - OK now

Comment

Hi Aris;
                        I was not too concerned about the lodgings but, I was about the tournament start and end times of the Rounds. I want to book my plans by March 1 so I just wondered what was finalized in way of the tournament details.
                        Like the entry fee, Round times, Sections ,# of Byes available. The usual tournament details.
                        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                          Hi Aris;
                          I was not too concerned about the lodgings but, I was about the tournament start and end times of the Rounds. I want to book my plans by March 1 so I just wondered what was finalized in way of the tournament details.
                          Like the entry fee, Round times, Sections ,# of Byes available. The usual tournament details.
                          Thanks
                          Hi John, got it, we should have the details posted publicly way before March 1st, like probably within a couple of weeks. I'm just finishing moving, teaching for Autumn, etc.

If you have any feedback on proposed round times (12&5,11&4,10&3), please tell me.

Thanks and regards, Aris.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                            Yes, arismarghetis at rogers dot com - but it was unavailable a few weeks ago - OK now
                            Thnx. I sent one letter yesterday about the Open.

Comment

Working...
                            X