Ideal tournament coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideal tournament coverage

After the Panama tournament I made a comment that their on-line live coverage was excellent with live web cam, standings and move-by-move game diagrams. Now along comes one better with the London Classic coverage. They have, in addition, a panel of experts discussing the games in progress. I see no way to improve on this! Canadian tournament organizers should view this as the standard by which to present their own coverage.

Here's the link to the live coverage in London>>>>> http://www.livestream.com/LondonChessClassic

http://www.livestream.com/LondonChessClassic

Re: Ideal tournament coverage

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
    Canadian tournament organizers should view this as the standard by which to present their own coverage.
    What Canadian tournaments should be coverage like that? Do you think there is a huge interest in Canadian Closed outside Canada?

I think it would be a waste of electricity :D
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Monday, 10th December, 2012, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      What Canadian tournaments should be coverage like that? Do you think there is a huge interest in Canadian Closed outside Canada? :D

The Canadian Closed, the Open and any event with a number of foreign GMs should have such coverage. It does not need interest outside Canada - we have chess fans in Canada who would gain - and especially so would be of great benefit to improving students of the game.
      In any event, I repeat that this was the gold standard of tournament coverage! Something to strive for if you want to excel at tournament organizing.

"I think it would be a waist of electricity"

I know of no one who uses electricity to hold up their pants - I use a belt around my waist.

Comment

The Canadian Closed, the Open and any event with a number of foreign GMs should have such coverage. It does not need interest outside Canada - we have chess fans in Canada who would gain - and especially so would be of great benefit to improving students of the game.
        In any event, I repeat that this was the gold standard of tournament coverage! Something to strive for if you want to excel at tournament organizing.

I know of no one who uses electricity to hold up their pants - I use a belt around my waist.
        Here is the link to the London Chess Classic video library about comments and insights:

http://www.livestream.com/londonchessclassic/folder

Enjoy the show!!!

Comment

LMAO, brilliant! :)

Comment

Speaking as an organizer, two points come to mind.

1) It's very expensive. That money subtracts from something else for the tournament - quality of venue, invited players, prize fund, amenities, organizers' time. And as a rule, the spectators do not contribute financially.

2) As organizer, what do I get out of it? My interests are in the players and not the spectators. Sure, I have some interest in using a certain amount of broadcast technologies as part of the efforts to publicize my events so that some of those spectators might come next time but that doesn't mean I have any interest per se in providing the ultimate spectator experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
              Speaking as an organizer, two points come to mind.

1) It's very expensive. That money subtracts from something else for the tournament - quality of venue, invited players, prize fund, amenities, organizers' time. And as a rule, the spectators do not contribute financially.

2) As organizer, what do I get out of it? My interests are in the players and not the spectators. Sure, I have some interest in using a certain amount of broadcast technologies as part of the efforts to publicize my events so that some of those spectators might come next time but that doesn't mean I have any interest per se in providing the ultimate spectator experience.
              Good points Roger.

If I may suggest, if lots of people volunteered to do just a little something, we could vastly improve the whole tournament experience. But that takes many people. My experience has been that the same few people offer to help, and there's understandably only so much each of them can do. Organizers love a volunteer (or volunteer team) that just approaches, and offers to do EVERYTHING (turnkey) about one event feature. Otherwise, it's still more organizing effort, which is "opportunity cost" on players, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                I think it would be a waste of electricity :D

Comment

Working...
                X