How to get to Victoria. Start Planning Your Summer Vacation Now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get to Victoria. Start Planning Your Summer Vacation Now!

Make 2009 the year you stay in Canada for your vacation. If you have never traveled to the west coast of Canada (or even if you have) make your way to Victoria next July 20-26 for the Summer Chess Fest, featuring the CYCC (July 21-24) and the BC Open (July 24-26) and many other events. There will be something to do for everyone. Go to http://monroi.com/2009-canadian-yout...ship-home.html for schedules, accommodations information and other details.

Some travel ideas

Air Travel
    Victoria has direct non stop service from Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Seattle. And connecting flights from every major airport in Canada. Sponsorship from a major Canadian airline has been requested. More information will be posted soon. Harbour to Harbour access is available from Vancouver by float plane or helicopter. Standby fares are sometimes available for students and adults. Float planes land within walking distance of the Hotel Grand Pacific. The Helijet runs a shuttle service to the hotel and is about 4 minutes away.

Car Travel
    Drive across the country. Gas looks like it will be a bargain. A great way to see a great country. Camp or stay in hotels across Canada. Finish the drive with a vacation on an island in the Pacific.

Air and Car Combination Fly and drive
    Flying part way and renting a car may be of interest. Drive and camp through the Rockies and BC. Fly into Calgary or Edmonton and rent a car for 10-14 days and enjoy BC and Victoria. The Canadian Open will be held in Edmonton before the CYCC in Victoria. There is (just) enough time between events to drive from Edmonton to Victoria.

In 2001 I traveled to the CYCC in Sackville, NB with my 2 sons. We flew to Montreal (reasonable air fare from Victoria) rented a car and drove the rest of the way. We camped (in a tent) across Quebec and New Brunswick. Some great cities and beaches to explore on the way. A great experience and reasonable cost.

Visiting outside Victoria
    While you are in the Victoria area make sure you have enough time to enjoy Vancouver Island. And don't let the word "island" mislead you. Vancouver island is over 400 km long. It is bigger than many countries. It is impossible to run out of things to see and do. You may want to visit the beaches and warm ocean water in Parksville or the rugged open ocean in Tofino.

Visiting inside Victoria
    You can also explore all that Victoria has to offer, explore beaches, rocky shoreline, forests and more just outside and inside the city of Victoria. There is lots to do without leaving Victoria. Visit Tourism Victoria for more information. http://www.tourismvictoria.com/

Car Rental
    A special rate for the CYCC is being arranged with Avis. Avis has a downtown and an airport location. Cars can be rented one way from the airport or downtown and there is no drop off charge. This is a good way to get into the city and allows the use of the car for 24 hours to do a little exploring, grocery shopping, etc. Rates and car reservation information will be posted soon.

Bicycles
    Can be rented at a number of locations in Victoria. You may want to bring your own helmets and locks. Free bike storage is available at the Hotel Grand Pacific. North Park Cycle is planning on having rental bikes available next summer. http://www.northparkbikeshop.com/

Walking
    Victoria is a walking city. There are museums, many restaurants, cafes, coffee shops and grocery stores all within easy walking distance of the Hotel Grand Pacific. Beaches are also close and there is excellent bus service in the city. Leave your car at home! And enjoy a stress free stay.

Visit Vancouver and Victoria
    You could spend a few days in Vancouver and easily get from Vancouver to Victoria. Travel by air or ferry. Another option to consider.

Questions about travel can be sent to cycc2009@gmail.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it. Or ask your questions on this blog.

Next Blog will be "What to do in Victoria"

Brian Raymer Chief Organizer 2009 CYCC

Re: How to get to Victoria. Start Planning Your Summer Vacation Now!

Originally posted by Brian Raymer View Post
    Make 2009 the year you stay in Canada for your vacation. If you have never traveled to the west coast of Canada (or even if you have) make your way to Victoria next July 20-26 for the Summer Chess Fest, featuring the CYCC (July 21-24) and the BC Open (July 24-26) and many other events.
    Is this new? Great news, either way!

To those thinking of attending, while I don't know a tonne about Victoria and thus cannot provide close to an exhaustive list of reasons to visit, I can provide one VERY compelling one: Victoria has EIGHT record stores in a THREE-BLOCK RADIUS. This area is no more than a ten minute walk from the hotel. And it is heaven.
    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
      Is this new? Great news, either way!

To those thinking of attending, while I don't know a tonne about Victoria and thus cannot provide close to an exhaustive list of reasons to visit, I can provide one VERY compelling one: Victoria has EIGHT record stores in a THREE-BLOCK RADIUS. This area is no more than a ten minute walk from the hotel. And it is heaven.
      What are records?
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Victoria has EIGHT record stores in a THREE-BLOCK RADIUS. This area is no more than a ten minute walk from the hotel. And it is heaven.
        I've lived here the last 33 years and I have no idea of where they are. A&B sound fled the downtown this year and that leaves Lyle's on the 700 block Yates as the only sizeable one I know about. Assuming you include CDs as "records". The do have LPs too, by the way, or did the last time I was in there, which was over a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          What are records?
          I bought a record player last years so I could listen to my Glen Miller collection. I didn't even realize they were available these days. When my record player broke down years ago I boxed my record collection but am happy I didn't toss it.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
            I've lived here the last 33 years and I have no idea of where they are. A&B sound fled the downtown this year and that leaves Lyle's on the 700 block Yates as the only sizeable one I know about. Assuming you include CDs as "records". The do have LPs too, by the way, or did the last time I was in there, which was over a year ago.
            It's the area where the A&B Sound used to be. I didn't know it was gone. I bought a Craig G album there last year. :(

A couple of them were hole-in-the-wall places (with gems, though, as is usually the case) and they weren't all exclusively music stores. And yes, I count CDs as LPs. I don't actually own any LPs, but my parents are giving me their old record player, so I look forward to starting an LP collection and being a pretentious jackass about it. I am considering purchasing a smoking jacket to don whilst listening to records.
            everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

It's the area where the A&B Sound used to be. I didn't know it was gone. I bought a Craig G album there last year. :(
              You will find most of the others gone as well, I fear. Last I was by Lyle's was still there, but that was a while ago and I can't walk very far now so I don't walk around downtown like I used to.

There is a small record shop in the basement of the Bay Center, and London Drugs downtown still sells some CDs, but again the selection is small.

A&B is supposed to have moved to the western communities but I don't know if they actually have a store built out there yet.

Comment

Working...
              X