2009 tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 tournaments

some FIDE tournaments for people to consider, I notice a lack of Canadian participation in these events.

from www.fideamerica.com

Continental Women Championship Colombia, option January 15th
    Continental Team Championship Brazil, option, January 15th
    North American Youth Mexico to be announced
    Pan American Schools Championship Colombia, Bogota October
    Continental Absolute Championship El Salvador July 12/25
    Pan American Juniors/Girls Uruguay, Montevideo to be announced
    Pan American Youth Mar del Plata, Argentina August 15/30

And of course, the Canadian closed if that's gonna happen? It's a zonal year but I've heard no news of anything.

Canadian Zonal/Closed?

Certainly would be nice for Canada to send a rep to the 2009 FIDE World Cup. Any organizers out there interested in doing the 2009 Canadian Zonal/Closed?

Bob

Comment

Re: Canadian Zonal/Closed?

Don't worry, there will be a zonal next year. Beyond that... no details yet.
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re: 2009 tournaments

Calgary is considering it for late August 09. They have not bid on it yet.

Comment

Re: the Canadian Closed, who decides the qualification criteria?
          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
            In 2007, it was Mr. Rating.
            Championship division
            Top 24 players registered as of July 18 (based on the CFC ratings list of July 18)
            http://www.chessfest.ca/can_closed.htm

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
              Its a swiss, you must be 2200 CFC to enter, and you must be a Canadian citizen. I think that is the way it still is anyway, I would have to check. Also, I think the organizers can appoint one player as well.

Comment

I see that the Quebec Open, Continental Championship, and Canadian open all conflict with eachother. Continental July 12-25, Quebec 18-26, and Canadian 11-19. This is probably gonna affect many strong players coming to play in Canada for the Quebec or canadian open right? The continental in 2009 has 6 world cup qualifying spots rather than just a single spot from the 2008 event so many more players will play this year. I personally will probably play in the Continental, it's too bad all three strong events collide but its most likely unavoidable.

Comment

Hi Eric:

Good researching - you are probably right about strong players from North & South America being lost to the Continental Championship. Where is it being held in 2009?

Bob
                  ( P.S. This " strong " ( LOL ) player will be going to the CO ! )

Comment

I haven't seen any dates announced "officially" for the Quebec Open on the FQE web site. The dates you quoted are for the "Tour du Quebec" (posted last July), and mention that the event will be held during the "construction holiday" (which is 2 weeks long). I wouldn't be surprised if those dates change if it means "sharing" some GM's with the Canadian Open.

Comment

The dates for the quebec open were just sent into FIDE and put into the Calendar section on the fide site (www.fide.com). If they change it after its been published on FIDE I assume there will be complaints, especially if someone outside of Canada were to look on the site and book a trip according the information there.

Hi Bob: It looks like it will be in El Salvador
                      Last edited by Eric Hansen; Wednesday, 10th December, 2008, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
                        Its a swiss, you must be 2200 CFC to enter, and you must be a Canadian citizen. I think that is the way it still is anyway, I would have to check. Also, I think the organizers can appoint one player as well.
                        Thanks for the information. 2200, eh. It seems I have a reason to improve at chess. Time to rally...
                        everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Working...
                        X