• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Junior Round 8

Standings after Round 7:

Rk. Name FED Rtg RtgI Bdld Club/City Pts. TB1 TB2 TB3
    5.0 points: IM Wang Richard & Kleinman Michael
    4.5 points: FM Jiang Louie & Qin Zi Yi (joey)
    3.5 points: Preotu Razvan
    3.0 points: Kraiouchkine Nikita & Szalay Karoly
    2.5 points: Chiku-Ratte Olivier Kenta
    2.0 points: Song Michael & Sapozhnikov Roman

Round 8 Pairings:

Round 8, Sun Dec 30, 16:00
    10 2454 Richard Wang - Michael Kleinman 2368 9
    1 2449 Joey Qin - Karoly Szalay 2392 8
    2 2322 Michael Song - Nikita Kraiouchkine 2351 7
    3 2300 Razvan Preotu - Olivier-Kenta Chiku-Ratté 2187 6
    4 2440 Roman Sapozhnikov - Louie Jiang 2406

Re: Canadian Junior Round 8

The game between the current leaders (Wang and Kleinman) could decide the overall winner. Should be a good one!

Curious: why, with the live coverage provided by Monroi, does Michael Kleinman's name have a US flag next to it?

Comment

Fighting chess! All games decisive, with white winning them all.

I especially enjoyed Sapozhnikov's win over Jiang.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter De Jong View Post
        I especially enjoyed Sapozhnikov's win over Jiang.
        A nice game.

[pictures are coming.]

Comment

Round 8 pictures (first several minutes)

Album:
          https://picasaweb.google.com/1143172...eat=directlink

Some better shots:

Comment

Very nice photos. The one of the new champion - Richard Wang - is especially nice. Hope you or Richard W. or Larry B. can use it for some post-event PR.

Comment

Why did Qin agree to a draw there knowing he needed to win to tie with Wang and thus enter a playoff? His position also looked completely playable to do so. Even if not, it's probably worth a loss to try to win at that point I'd think.

Comment

I wondered that, too. Especially since it looked like Joey had deliberately unbalanced the position a few moves earlier (giving up queen for rook and bishop).

Doesn't take away from the very strong chess Richard played, though - he's a very deserving champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                  Why did Qin agree to a draw there knowing he needed to win to tie with Wang and thus enter a playoff? His position also looked completely playable to do so. Even if not, it's probably worth a loss to try to win at that point I'd think.

Yeah. I noticed that. I'd have played down to my bare king to try to win.

What did you think of the games overall? I thought draws seemed to be too easy to get and the players didn't seem too comfortable with the round robin system.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    What did you think of the games overall? I thought draws seemed to be too easy to get
                    I was impressed with how patient Richard Wang's play was. His boa-constrictor-like win over Kleinman, in particular, struck me as quite unusual for a 14 year old. He just keeps everything under control, and keeps improving, improving, improving his position.

Whatever they put in the water in Alberta (giving rise to Hansen, Wang) - its awesome stuff.

Comment

Whatever they put in the water in Alberta (giving rise to Hansen, Wang) - its awesome stuff.
                      It's more likely the organizers and the events they hold. Probably the environmentalists are afraid fracing fluids (used in oil and gas drilling to fracture the rock) will get in the water. :)

Traveling around to different strong events also helps, as would the coach.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I was impressed with how patient Richard Wang's play was. His boa-constrictor-like win over Kleinman, in particular, struck me as quite unusual for a 14 year old. He just keeps everything under control, and keeps improving, improving, improving his position.

No big secret, Alberta organizes quality development events and I hear funds chess events with gambling money. There also tends to be regular recognition of players at levels far lower then one would see in Ontario.

Comment

Working...
                        X