Chess on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess on TV

For those that might be able to assist, I have a few questions regarding chess on mainstream television, aside from traditional news formats.

First of all, for the past few weeks, Peter Jordan's CBC program, "It's a Living," has been on my mind and I am wondering whether anyone might have access to the footage of the episode in which, of all things, he covered chess. As I recall, he took an inactive National Master from one of the western provinces down to Washington Square Park, where this guy proceeded to reel off a series of blitz victories and discuss aspects of the game, the players in the park, etc. In fact, having just checked the sparse episode description (again), I see that this "inactive NM" was also a chess columnist, but I still don't recall who that may have been. Apparently, the show was produced in Winnipeg, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was locally sourced.

My next question has to do with the World Chess Festival. As I understand it, TSN offered some form of coverage for this event. Did anyone here happen to record that? Was the festival featured, or simply mentioned in passing?

Finally, in general, perhaps ignoring Endgame, does anyone remember any similar footage, where chess was the central focus of the episode and/or series?

Re: Chess on TV

There was an episode of the TV series Columbo which had chess as its central focus. The star, Peter Falk, was a chess player himself.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069906/

At one point the murderer and his victim (edit: er, soon-to-be victim) played a game. It featured an actual, sound combo.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Are you referring to the "World Chess Festival" held in Saint John, NB in 1988? There were three "official" videos (VCR tapes - which I have):

1) Documentary (1 hour)
      2) The Candidates' Matches (2.5 hours)
      3) The Blitz (2.5 hours)

I don't think they were ever released on DVD.

Comment

I have now found this massive list, which includes the episode of Columbo that Tom mentions. Sadly, no reference to Alf, who taught me everything I know.

Comment

It's a Living.
          It sounded like the columnist may have been Cecil Rosner.(chess columnist for the Winnipeg Free Press and Managing Editor, CBC Manitoba). I contacted Cecil, who replied:

"I was in an episode of It's a Living in 2000 (In fact we were in NY
          Sept. 11 2000, one year before you know what...)

The premise was I was teaching Peter about the ways of chess and the
          hustlers in Washington Square Park.....I was strangely unbeatable that
          day, so I did reel off win after win. The strongest guy there at the
          time, who had been in Searching for Bobby Fischer and was Master
          strength, wouldn't play me. Some people there said he didn't want to
          risk being embarrassed with cameras around."

Cecil said he may have the episode on tape.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Boron View Post
            It's a Living.
            It sounded like the columnist may have been Cecil Rosner.(chess columnist for the Winnipeg Free Press and Managing Editor, CBC Manitoba). I contacted Cecil, who replied:

"I was in an episode of It's a Living in 2000 (In fact we were in NY
            Sept. 11 2000, one year before you know what...)

The premise was I was teaching Peter about the ways of chess and the
            hustlers in Washington Square Park.....I was strangely unbeatable that
            day, so I did reel off win after win. The strongest guy there at the
            time, who had been in Searching for Bobby Fischer and was Master
            strength, wouldn't play me. Some people there said he didn't want to
            risk being embarrassed with cameras around."

Cecil said he may have the episode on tape.
            It would be amazing to see these tapes dusted off and transferred to DVD for distribution to those interested. Even better, posted on YouTube, if copyright concerns could be addressed (perhaps Cecil would be in a position to get the go-ahead from CBC, not sure whether TSN would allow Hugh to post the WCF videos). Anyway, thanks for sharing that reply, Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
              Anyway, thanks for sharing that reply, Tony.
              Of course, thanks to Tom and Hugh as well.

Comment

Working...
              X