chess rules question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chess rules question

At one time you could use two hands when castling, then that rule was changed, and then... was it changed back? What is the current state of affairs?

Can a player use two hands for castling?

Can a player use two hands for pawn promotion?

Can a player use two hands for capturing (one hand to remove the captured piece, one hand to move his piece?

Sorry to be a nuisance.

Re: chess rules question

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
    At one time you could use two hands when castling, then that rule was changed, and then... was it changed back? What is the current state of affairs?

Can a player use two hands for castling?

Can a player use two hands for pawn promotion?

Can a player use two hands for capturing (one hand to remove the captured piece, one hand to move his piece?

Sorry to be a nuisance.
    Main Rule: "4.1 Each move must be made with one hand only."
    +
    6.7 b. A player must stop his clock with the same hand as that with which he made his move.

Thus, NO, you can not use both hands to make a move.

Comment

Thanks, Egidijus

I just stumbled my way to the FIDE rules, and could have answered the questions myself with a little research.

Bone idle, that's my trouble. One of my troubles.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
        Bone idle, that's my trouble. One of my troubles.
        Well I'm both bone idle and bone lazy but I don't think of it as my problem. It may be a problem for other people, but not for me. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          Main Rule: "4.1 Each move must be made with one hand only."
          +
          6.7 b. A player must stop his clock with the same hand as that with which he made his move.

Thus, NO, you can not use both hands to make a move.
          Castling must be made by touching the King first, if using two hands the rook could be touched first. If two hands were used, and the King touched first, is this really a serious infraction? Should the Arbiter give a warning?

Capturing and promoting are faster with two hands if a player is in time trouble but what is an arbiter to do? 2 minutes added to opponent? If it's the third time, treat as a third illegal move and give a forfeit?

Tournament players should learn how to hold two pieces in one hand so as not to accidentally drop them on the board.

Comment

Working...
          X