Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panjwani and Spraggett

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
    Its not classy to ignore the past steller achievements of others just because they've decided chess is more of a hobby then a pursuit to some degree.
    I guess you figure you've never done that.

Maybe nostalgia is something the CFC hasn't cashed in on over the years. Had I been involved over the years, which I wasn't, I'd have looked into an annual set of player cards like in hockey or baseball. Complete with player annual player record. I won't be tossing out my autographed Mike Bossy hockey card.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Last edited by Ben Daswani; Wednesday, 30th January, 2013, 12:25 AM.
      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
        mike bossy is one of my all-time favs for many reasons, not the least of which is that he hates gretzky.

I should have mentioned my card is the rookie card.

I didn't know the Gretzky part. Bossy sure could put up the numbers and score goals. Too bad he got injured.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I have to admit to a certain bias, as I coached Raja for four years, from 2000 to 2004. Disclaimer, notified! The last couple of those years I didn't do much more than lend him chess books, play friendly games, make a few suggestions, and be supportive, as he had reached and then surpassed me in playing strength, when he reached age 13.

I believe that Raja has a very good chance of attaining the GM title, some day. He has chosen the academic route, finishing up his undergrad science degree at the University of Western Ontario last spring, and now studying at Oxford. His parents are both medical doctors, and it would not surprise me at all if he went that route for his career. This is the optimal plan for his life. Being in Europe for the next while will give him more playing opportunities in big events; several Canadians have stated that it's easier to get norms in Europe than in Canada. IM Tom O'Donnell is among Canada's titled players who earned one or more of his norms over there.

Raja's best games are really, really good. And were, right from pre-teen years. Even when he was 14, and in the Canadian Zonal for the first time, he was defeating some pretty strong IMs. He got a lot of experience at the World Youth level, and played many strong international events in his teens. Perhaps, more than any Canadian had done previously, by that age. :)

And, Raja still has about 100 of my chess books! I hope I will get them back some day; no worries if he is using them to effect! And, I have been inactive as a player for a couple of years now, with no clear plans to return to competition, so I don't need them. Maybe, when he becomes a GM, he won't need them any more! :)

Comment

Panjwani recently played in the Hastings Masters. I think he did not play the last two rounds but he had 5/8, finishing 35th.
            http://www.theweekinchess.com/html/twic948.html

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              Maybe nostalgia is something the CFC hasn't cashed in on over the years. Had I been involved over the years, which I wasn't, I'd have looked into an annual set of player cards like in hockey or baseball. Complete with player annual player record. I won't be tossing out my autographed Mike Bossy hockey card.
              Such chess player cards already exist, at an international level anyway :):

http://chessqueen.com/facechess-card...kosteniuk.html
              Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
              Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                  I wish Kevin could cover me :(
                  Looks like you got your wish!

Comment