How Nimzowitsch Became Grandmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Nimzowitsch Became Grandmaster

When we were playing chess in our teens we thought of Lasker as the psychologist, Capablanca as the natural talent and Alekhine as the irresistible force. On Olympus with those three we placed a fourth, Nimzowitsch.

I think this was because Reinfeld’s Nimzovich the Hypermodern was easily available as a Dover paperback. The first three were of the classic period but Nimzowitsch was the player of the future. A modern player with a plan, a player to be emulated. He wrote about the “mysterious rook move” and my regular opponent at weekly matches, deeply imbued with the Nimzowitsch mystique, would deem all of his own rook moves in our games as mysterious. The Nimzo-Indian became our favorite defence. I bought My System and wished that The Blockade and Chess Praxis were available but, in our bookstores and libraries, they were not.

Later, as a collector, I learned of his two tournament books, Bad Kissingen 1928 and Karlsbad 1929, and bought them.

Recently, I was looking over a German chess book auction and found up for bid this work which translates into English as How I Became (a) Grandmaster:

Nimzowitsch, A. I., Wie ich Großmeister wurde
    Erstmalige Übersetzung aus dem Russischen von Rolf H. Voland. Leipzig 2009

It appears to be one of those limited edition works, which you can pay an arm and a leg for – if you can find a vendor. The original is Kak ya stal grosmeysterom (Leningrad 1929).

From some published extracts I learned that N. was very disheartened by his failure at Barmen 1905. This he attributed to lack of knowledge of the openings and positional play.

When the Nuremberg (1906) tournament games collection came out with Tarrasch's notes he took the book to the bookbinder’s asking him to bind in blank leaves between each two leaves of the text. Then he began to analyse some of the games, mostly the ones played by Salwe, Duras and Forgacs, and M. Chigorin's ones as Black. He entered the found results on the intervening leaves right away. He always "played" for one of the partners only - either as White, or as Black, trying first to find the best move on his own and then looking up the move made in the game. So, a "game" lasted at least about 6 hours.

Well, I had to get a copy of How I Became Grandmaster but could only find a reprinted copy in Russian through Barnes and Noble from Sam Sloan’s Ishi Press.

That publisher has a catalogue of some 170 chess books, the rights of which you would think still belong to other publishers. These include My 60 Memorable Games (Fischer), Chess Archives (Euwe), The Fireside Book of Chess (Chernev), Fischer vs Spassky (Gligorich) and Pal Benko’s Endgame Laboratory. The only other publisher with such a catalogue is Hardinge Simpole. One assumption is that the copyrights to these books have not been renewed by their owners. Another is that the owners have been handsomely reimbursed by the new publishers – a thought so beautiful that it brings tears to my eyes! New in Chess is now selling some Ishi Press volumes.

In any case, the Ishi reprint has 64 pages, is entirely in Russian, has 27 pages of introduction and 13 games. The introduction has, among other things, a description of how he learned chess at eight years of age, his further development, his arch rival Tarrasch, the description above of his use of the Nuremberg tourney book and an encounter with Tarrasch at Ostende 1907.

This completes my collection of books that Nimzowitsch authored.
    While I was at it, I got Lasker’s Struggle and Alekhine’s My Struggle. It is quite a struggle to find these from the usual dealers.

References:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/ishi-press-chess

http://www.hardingesimpole.co.uk/ser...s_classics.htm

Re: How Nimzowitsch Became Grandmaster

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
    Well, I had to get a copy of How I Became Grandmaster but could only find a reprinted copy in Russian
    Kak ja stal grossmeisterov was in the Nimzowitsch work collection My System published in 1984 in Russian. A big white thick volume ~500 pages. As a chessplayer you must know Russian, at least at a Fischer's level LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      Kak ja stal grossmeisterov was in the Nimzowitsch work collection My System published in 1984 in Russian. A big white thick volume ~500 pages. As a chessplayer you must know Russian, at least at a Fischer's level LOL
      My Hardcover English reprint from 1947 is around 370 pages.

I can't recall ever being aware Nimzowitsch was awarded the Grandmaster title. There were the 5 original Grandmasters. There were also Grandmasters of the Soviet Union but I'm not sure of that list. In 1950, I think it was, FIDE started handing out Grandmaster titles but no Posthumous titles were awarded.

He was a strong enough player and was probably considered to be a grandmaster but do you know if the title was ever awarded by anyone?
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        My Hardcover English reprint from 1947 is around 370 pages.

Russian version is not only My system. It is a collection of My system, My system in Practice, How I became, Blockade, and several more articles.

if the title was ever awarded by anyone?
        I think it was like a recognition title for excellent results. Probably, in magazines he was referred as a grandmaster later.

Comment

Russian version is not only My system. It is a collection of My system, My system in Practice, How I became, Blockade, and several more articles.

I think it was like a recognition title for excellent results. Probably, in magazines he was referred as a grandmaster later.

Thank you. I was wondering about why my version was so many less pages.

I bought a lot of used books from the CCCA over the years. I also got Capablanca's 100 best games copyright 1947. The price written in both books is 4.00.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I bought a lot of used books from the CCCA over the years. I also got Capablanca's 100 best games copyright 1947. The price written in both books is 4.00.
            imho, Dover republished a lot of nice book. Though most of them are in a descriptive notation. For some it is a treasure, for some

Comment

imho, Dover republished a lot of nice book. Though most of them are in a descriptive notation. For some it is a treasure, for some
              My System which I have is published by David McKay and Company. The Capablanca book by Golembek published by Harcourt, Brace and Company. And in English Descriptive. Dover may have republished them later but I don't know if they did those.

It seemed like there were a lot of books published after around 1970.

Lot of niche books were written as well. I have a copy of Red Letters which is the all the correspondence championships of the Soviet Union going back to the first in 1948. It came with a CD of games and was done by Tim Harding.

To pick one from the 5 originals mine would be Frank Marshall. I'm a fan of the gambits and his style.

Nimzowitch came so close in the 1912 tournament in San Sebastian. Half point behind Akiba Rubinstein. World class and almost certain to have been awarded the title in 1950 had he been alive.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Dover books were an extraordinary value in the 50s and 60s. The paper was high quality, the pages sewn in signatures, the books opened flat for easy reference and the binding would not crack or split. They were permanent paperbacks. My top five favorites were:

Alekhine, A., New York Int. Chess Tourn. 1924 ($2)
                Reinfeld, F., Nimzovich the Hypermodern ($1.75)
                Botvinnik, M., One Hundred Selected Games ($2)
                Lasker, Ed., Chess for Fun and Chess for Blood ($1.25)
                Keres, P., Keres’ Best Games of Chess 1931–1948 ($1.75)

I played through every game of Botvinnik and Keres. Even then I thought Morphy’s Games of Chess by Sergeant and Marshall’s Best Games of Chess were a bit old fashioned. I could never figure out why they published The Principles of Chess by James Mason. It was not one of those books that grabbed you and I didn’t know who Mason was.

The beauty of these books was that a kid could have a dozen of them on his shelf and learn chess history on the cheap. The drawbacks were that the openings were hopelessly out of date and too much Reinfeld was probably not good for you.

The notation was English descriptive and caused no problems. I have put the prices of the books in the early 60s after the titles.

Comment

My System which I have is published by David McKay and Company. The Capablanca book by Golembek published by Harcourt, Brace and Company. And in English Descriptive. Dover may have republished them later but I don't know if they did those.
                  It's Golombek! :)
                  The Capablanca book was re-printed by Batsford in algebraic in 1997, "Edited, and with additional material, by John Nunn".

Comment

Originally posted by Emil Smilovici View Post
                    It's Golombek! :)
                    Not on the front of the dust cover. There it is clearly Golembek. However, on the inside flap of the dust cover it's Golombek. I had a 50/50 chance of being right or wrong. :)

I have another HC Capablanca book. My Chess Career by Capablanca. It looks like the 1920 printing. There's an onion skin page covering the photo. The price on the inside is List 2.50. 1.75 special. So I guess it must have hit the remainders shelf somewhere.

I played Capablanca's second cousin in a CC Olympiad some years ago. Seem to recall Tim Harding published the game. We were both subscribers to Tim's publication. It was a hard fought draw and I was glad to get it.

I got rid of a lot of books but some I kept.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Did Fischer know Russian? Did he do so so he could read the Soviet chess books?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                        Did Fischer know Russian? Did he do so so he could read the Soviet chess books?
                        I don't know but probably he did. Many Canadian players back then could follow Russian chess publications and get the drift of the games and theory.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Not on the front of the dust cover. There it is clearly Golembek. However, on the inside flap of the dust cover it's Golombek. I had a 50/50 chance of being right or wrong. :)
                          From the obituary printed in "The Independent":
                          Harry Golombek was born into a Polish immigrant family (the surname translates as "little dove") in the East End of London in 1911.
                          From 1954 until 1972, a world championship match without Golombek as one of the arbiters was almost unthinkable.

He wrote over 30 books including collections of games of Capablanca and Reti, 1948 World Championship and the 1959 Candidates Tournament in Yugoslavia - these 4 is what I have by Golombek

Comment

Originally posted by Emil Smilovici View Post

He wrote over 30 books including collections of games of Capablanca and Reti, 1948 World Championship and the 1959 Candidates Tournament in Yugoslavia - these 4 is what I have by Golombek
                            Obviously the spelling on the front of the dust cover of the book is incorrect.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Fischer and the Russian language

Bobby’s mother Regina and his sister Joan were both adept at languages. It is reasonable to assume that Bobby would not have much difficulty in picking up Russian with all his chess studies in Russian literature.

To keep up with opening theory and the games of possible opponents, Fischer bought Russian material at the Four Continents Book Store in Manhattan. Much like the Troyka in Toronto. He was able to understand Lipnitsky’s book on modern chess theory, a very difficult book.

These quotes from Brady’s last book on Fischer:

In the Fischer household failing a language exam was a major infraction. In and out of college, Regina had formally studied Latin, Hebrew, Russian, German, French, and Spanish. Se was fluent in many of these tongues (and got by in Yiddish) and was continually taking language courses in adult education centers to sharpen her skills. Joan took Spanish and German in high school and was adept in both. “Industry!” Regina yelled at Bobby, with the not-so-subtle implication that if he spent just a fraction of the time on his studies that he devoted to chess, he’d be a stellar student. She continually emphasized to him the importance of knowing other languages, especially if he intended to play chess in foreign lands.

Endgame by Frank Brady, Chapter 3

The Four Continents stocked a small but potent collection of chess books as well as the latest copies of Shakhmatny Bulletin, a newly launched Russian-language periodical. This chess magazine contained theoretical articles and reports on the latest games from around the world, mostly games involving players from the Soviet Union. Fischer learned when the new copies would arrive each month, and within a day or two of their appearance he’d be at the Four Continents to purchase the latest edition.
                              (clip)
                              Thumbing through copies of each edition, Bobby made a mental note of which openings being played around the world won more games than others and which seemed too unorthodox. He also noted the games that ignited his interest toward further exploration. The games of the masters that he discovered in Shakhmatny became his models later, some of these masters would emerge as his competitors.
                              (clip)
                              Bobby browsed and shopped at the Four Continents for years, and nothing attracted him more than a book he’d heard spoken about in almost reverential whispers: Isaac Lipnitsky’s Questions of Modern Chess Theory. For chess players, the book became an instant classic the moment it was published in 1956, and copies were scarce.
                              (clip)
                              He pored over the pages, as if he were a philosophy student attempting to understand Immanuel Kant’s Critique of Pure Reason. He struggled with the Russian and continually asked his mother to translate some of the prose passages that accompanied the annotations of the moves. She didn’t mind at all and was, in fact, delighted that he was learning some Russian. For his part, Bobby was astonished at how much insight he absorbed from the book.

Endgame by Frank Brady, Chapter 4

Note: Lipnitsky’s Questions of Modern Chess Theory, in English (2008 edition) is available at a quite reasonable price from amazon.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X