A Model for Tournament Organization that should be copied across Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Model for Tournament Organization that should be copied across Canada

Congratulations to John Brown for the best organized tournament I have attended in years! I played a 4 game match with Keith Wight in Brampton on the weekend. This was in conjunction with the William Darch Memorial tournament (named after the long time president of the Weston chess club)- a round robin event of 6 players played at John Brown's place in Brampton. I was invited by John last August and decided to accept because it was one of my rare open weekends. John's hospitality and attention to detail is beyond almost anything I have encountered in Canada. He paid for my train ticket, picked me up at the train station (which was an unexpected pleasant surprise!), arranged special accomodations at Chateau Gillanders for me and provided wonderful conditions for the tournament. The 4 games were played over Saturday and Sunday (2 each day) Players were consulted on almost every decision and even in the match case chose their own times to start the rounds. The match was played on a beautiful wooden chess table with a unique wooden set and I even managed to start all 4 games with GM Suttles ideas (purely for my own enjoyment). There was an overwhelming choice of finger foods, good coffee, and drinks as well as a Saturday lunch of Oktoberfest Sausage (very thoughtful and tasty!). Also an amazing selection of fine beer (Wow!). Sunday morning breakfast was at Wimpeys (I recommend it to anyone - just watch the calorie overdose!) and the two late evening meals were at Shoeless Joes accompanied by excellent beer. John has led a rich life as evidenced by the countless interesting photos on his walls and he also has an incredible collection of interesting books - both chess and otherwise. This model of small tournament play should be copied across Canada in all communities and encouraged by the CFC as it would significantly raise tournament playing activity and help the CFC's well being in troubled times. Gigantic food for thought. Hope somebody notices.

Re: A Model for Tournament Organization that should be copied across Canada

Cool!

How'd you make out with GM Suttles ideas in the 4 games!? Do post :)

Comment

Re: A Model for Tournament Organization that should be copied across Canada

Thanks for playing the Match Hans.
      It was a pleasure having you and all were happy for your analyzing after our games.

The PEEL CHESS CLUB has been in existence since 1982 and we had 35 members in the early years.
      In 1992 I opted out to hold the tournaments at my place and send out INVITATIONAL ONLY FLYERS. So we no longer have a membership per say.
      It is mainly an adult club but I do allow Parents to bring their siblings to play in Invitational tourneys. Richard Douglas has won Twice since attending and I believe he is 16 years old now.

Most of the PEEL BOYS as we have nicknamed the group have become great friends and have had many enjoyable times over the year's. WE never need to look for a friend at a chess tournament as usually one or two of us attend together.

So if anyone get's an invitation from me try to attend even if it is to watch.

If the old days return then maybe we can run regular tournaments at a site and get many more to play.
      My maximum capacity is 16 in winter and 22 in summer as I have a huge balcony. However with that many, the food spread and treats would be limited to accommodate for playing space.

The most Important thing is I have no hall rental costs and the food is my thank you for playing in the event.You have to pay for the beer though!! So I can give 100% of entries returned as prizes and I always give book prizes for the last place finishers.
      We do appreciate donations and sponsors.

The next PEEL will be an active and I have already sent out the invitations.

John R. Brown

Comment

Working...
      X