Which Way Do Your Knights Face?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Way Do Your Knights Face?

I thought it was a standard practice to initially have your knights aggressively facing the opposing king. Clearly I haven’t been paying attention to my opponents’ knights’ setup!

These comments from The Chess Mind today

http://www.thechessmind.net/blog/201...ghts-face.html

Years ago the person known as Britt Greenbaum/Walter Smith came through our club a couple of times; he faced his knights backwards. Which I found a pretty silly attempt to look like a radical nonconformist. Alas, he kicked my butt.

For some reason, I didn't develop a strong preference about this until a couple of years ago, when suddenly it became absolutely necessary for them to both be facing right. Which is kind of odd given that in 2D diagrams they're generally facing left, but there you go.

I insist on my knights facing each other, because they are friends and look out for each other. I'm probably giving away some information about my opening and middle game preferences by saying that!

I face my left knight to the left and my right knight to the right because then I can tell where they came from initially. My dad reasoned it that way and I've followed it since.

When I was an unrated kid I always pointed my knights forward like every other beginner. Then I noticed the cover of Fischer's "My 60 Memorable Games" at the library and noticed that he had his king knight angled in. Then at my first USCF tournament in 1976 I saw that all the experienced rated players angled their knights in, either in straight profile or diagonally. Fast forward to today and I notice some of the top players pointing their knights forward like beginners. Those in this camp include Anand and Ivanchuk.

Kasparov angles his knights facing left regardless of color and so does Kramnik. I've seen Karpov do the opposite. As far as the knights facing to the rear - that has been done at the highest level. Fischer did that in his Candidates Match against Taimanov in one of his games with White in a Taimanov Sicilian - knights on c3 and c4 pointing backwards. Going into full crazy mode helps rack up 6-0 wins! I've seen any number of different photos of Fischer and the occasional You Tube video, and it seems that Bobby's knights just face wherever they landed without any thought whatsoever.

Perhaps the most high profile current proponent of side profile knights is none other than Magnus Carlsen. Maybe he'll reverse the trend.

My kingside knight faces left and my queenside knight faces right. I like to start them both looking in and they keep the same direction for the entire game.

Re: Which Way Do Your Knights Face?

Some times in fun blitz games backwards facing myself
    however normally looking towards the H file

Comment

I dislike too much symmetry on the board. As a consequence, my knights orientation is semi-random but largely it is chosen by how they fit into my hand. Also, I prefer my pieces to be not quite fully centered in the square with a small random offset.

Comment

In general, people seem to have their knights face to the side. I am a real man, however, so I have them face forwards.

Comment

Sideways and at the start they face the centre. If I aimed them at the opponent they would look too much like bishops to my eyes, and I have enough trouble calculating as it is.

Comment

1) Start facing forwards.

2) Move in an L, starting with the two squares first (always).

3) Turn the knight's head according the the one-square finish to the L move.

e.g. Ng1-f3 = N facing LEFT, Nf3-g5 = N facing FORWARD, Ng5-e6 = N facing RIGHT

e.g. Nb1-c3 = N facing RIGHT, Nc3-e4 = N facing FORWARD, Ne4-d2 = N facing LEFT

#thinkaboutit

Comment

This thread falls in the category Sfact

Comment

"I face my left knight to the left and my right knight to the right because then I can tell where they came from initially. " This one, except the other way around.
                "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                  I thought it was a standard practice to initially have your knights aggressively facing the opposing king. Clearly I haven’t been paying attention to my opponents’ knights’ setup!

These comments from The Chess Mind today

http://www.thechessmind.net/blog/201...ghts-face.html

Years ago the person known as Britt Greenbaum/Walter Smith came through our club a couple of times; he faced his knights backwards. Which I found a pretty silly attempt to look like a radical nonconformist. Alas, he kicked my butt.

For some reason, I didn't develop a strong preference about this until a couple of years ago, when suddenly it became absolutely necessary for them to both be facing right. Which is kind of odd given that in 2D diagrams they're generally facing left, but there you go.

I insist on my knights facing each other, because they are friends and look out for each other. I'm probably giving away some information about my opening and middle game preferences by saying that!

I face my left knight to the left and my right knight to the right because then I can tell where they came from initially. My dad reasoned it that way and I've followed it since.

When I was an unrated kid I always pointed my knights forward like every other beginner. Then I noticed the cover of Fischer's "My 60 Memorable Games" at the library and noticed that he had his king knight angled in. Then at my first USCF tournament in 1976 I saw that all the experienced rated players angled their knights in, either in straight profile or diagonally. Fast forward to today and I notice some of the top players pointing their knights forward like beginners. Those in this camp include Anand and Ivanchuk.

Kasparov angles his knights facing left regardless of color and so does Kramnik. I've seen Karpov do the opposite. As far as the knights facing to the rear - that has been done at the highest level. Fischer did that in his Candidates Match against Taimanov in one of his games with White in a Taimanov Sicilian - knights on c3 and c4 pointing backwards. Going into full crazy mode helps rack up 6-0 wins! I've seen any number of different photos of Fischer and the occasional You Tube video, and it seems that Bobby's knights just face wherever they landed without any thought whatsoever.

Perhaps the most high profile current proponent of side profile knights is none other than Magnus Carlsen. Maybe he'll reverse the trend.

My kingside knight faces left and my queenside knight faces right. I like to start them both looking in and they keep the same direction for the entire game.
                  Once in a weekender a long time ago, my opponent -before the game commenced- adjusted MY knights to point to the side because (he claimed) otherwise he might not notice they were knights... !

I was so gobsmacked by this I did not protest (and proceeded to crush him mercilessly without remorse - something I have in short supply in any case).
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                    Once in a weekender a long time ago, my opponent -before the game commenced- adjusted MY knights to point to the side because (he claimed) otherwise he might not notice they were knights... !

I was so gobsmacked by this I did not protest (and proceeded to crush him mercilessly without remorse - something I have in short supply in any case).
                    Adjusting the orientation of your opponents knights is, well, simply rude!
                    However, revenge is sweet because when you adjust them back, it drives them crazy. :D:D

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

One time someone adjusted my knights to face sideways during the game. I adjusted them back. I am not putting up with that business.

Comment

My two Knights, two big 4 inch, or 10cm if you prefer, rubber Knights from a Canadian Open in Ottawa, face North. They sit on each top corner of my TV set, looking like part of the case, and face north. I haven't figured out if it's True North, or Magnetic North. :)
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The question of adjusting the opponent's pieces is interesting. I am always careful to leave my own pieces in the middle of the squares, but if my opponent has his all lopsided I do not consider it my prerogative to centralize them. The only time I will adjust my opponent's piece is if it actually covers more than one square, and when I do so I am careful to leave it about as lopsided as his other pieces are. I would only centralize the piece if his other pieces tended to be centralized.

Comment

This is complicated stuff. Kind of like a major league baseball pitcher going through routine before he pitches the ball. :)
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Which Way Do Your Knights Face?

Taking the question to a whole new level!

http://www.babble.com/home/chess-ner...ography-nerds/

Comment

Working...
                              X