ChessCafé Book of the Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChessCafé Book of the Year

The votes have been counted and the results are in. The big scholarly book on Aron Nimzowitsch has been voted 2012 Book of the Year. The runner-ups were Move First, Think Later by Willy Hendricks and Grandmaster Preparation: Calculation by Jacob Aagaard.

You simply cannot buy every chess book that comes out I know. I particularly prize this year’s winner, the Pal Benko book and, strangely, the Norman Whitaker one from before. I have a good friend who praises Chess Duels to the heavens. Have any of the others below made a strong impression?

2012 Aron Nimzowitsch, 1886-1924 by Per Skjoldager and Jørn Erik Nielsen

Previous ChessCafe.com Book of the Year Winners

2011 Invisible Chess Moves by Yochanan Afek & Emmanuel Neiman New In Chess

2010 Chess Duels by Yasser Seirawan Everyman Chess

2009 Chess Strategy for Club Players by Herman Grooten New In Chess

2008 Forcing Chess Moves by Charles Hertan New In Chess

2007 Silman's Complete Endgame Course by Jeremy Silman Siles Press

2006 Van Perlo's Endgame Tactics by G. C. Van Perlo New In Chess

2005 Learn from the Legends by Mihail Marin Quality Chess

2004 Pal Benko: My Life, Games and Compositions by Pal Benko & Jeremy Silman Siles Press

2003 Chess Strategy in Action by John Watson Gambit Publications

2002 Excelling at Chess by Jacob Aagaard Everyman Chess

2001 Understanding Chess Move by Move by John Nunn Gambit Publications

2000 Shady Side: The Life and Crimes of Norman Tweed Whitaker by John S. Hilbert Caissa Editions

Re: ChessCafé Book of the Year

The only one I've read is Chess Strategy in Action back when I was learning about positional play and stuff. John Watson writes some good stuff and I credit him, Silman and Yermolinsky (in more ways than one) for getting me over the 2100-2200 hump.
    Shameless self-promotion on display here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Other titles that were in the running for 2012 were Amateur to IM by Jonathan Hawkins, Chess Tactics from Scratch by Martin Weteschnik, and How I Beat Fischer's Record by Judit Polgar.

In a comment, Jacob Aagaard says “I hate it when the best book wins...but at least this one is Danish. The (Nimzowitsch) book was definitely the right choice of the three nominees. But I still like Judit’s book best, but that is just one opinion.”

I looked for an independent judgement on the buy-worthiness of the Polgar book and found this review in Chess Vibes by Arne Moll:

http://www.chessvibes.com/reviews/re...scher’s-record

Comment

I own copies of the winners from 2010, 2008, 2007, 2004, 2003, 2002 and 2001. I've read all except the Benko book from cover-to-cover. I would say the best of the bunch from what I've read is either Seirawan's book or Watson's book. If you have a few bucks burning a hole in your pocket run out to CMA and buy one or more of these fabulous books. :-D
        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

When I was visiting the CMA's excellently done Canadian Junior Championship just before New Years I decided to buy a book at Strategy Games to support the cause. I chose Watson's book above. I have not regretted my decision, in fact Im very happy.

Comment

Was any Canadian chess book published in 2012?

Comment

The only two Canadian chess books I purchased in 2012 were:

Canadian Chess News 2010 Yearbook, ed. Tony Ficzere
              A Chacun Son Héros, Alekhine, le virtuose des échecs by Guy Gignac

The latter has a 2011 copyright but:

Depôt légal, Bibliothèque nationale du Québec, 2012
              Impression 2012 par Regroupement Loisir Québec

I bought it as soon as I could and the date on the invoice is January 20, 2012. It is a handsome book and a good complement to previous Alekhine books.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                TA Chacun Son Héros, Alekhine, le virtuose des échecs by Guy Gignac
                Thus, let it be the best Canadian chess book of 2012 :) There was a thread about it.

Comment

Previous ChessCafe.com Book of the Year Winners
                  There is English Chess Federation's Book of the Year:
                  http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=586

Only two books matched with the Chesscafe list:
                  2004 Benko
                  and
                  2006 Van Perlo

Comment

I like all of Aagaard's books that I have read (I think three of them) and the Nunn Endgame books, though I have only browsed through them, are fantastic. The latter will be my belated birthday gift to myself next time I am at Strategy Games. ;-)
                    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I think four of the most analytic and careful writers of chess books today are Nunn, Grondijs, Timman and Hübner and will buy anything they produce.

As for gifting oneself, this happens quite frequently for a collector. I have been reduced to saying, “There’s a big storm coming, which might have us snowed in for several days. I’ll go out now and buy supplies – food, drink and used chess books!” This has worn very thin as of late. I’m hunting for new excuses. Are there any sure-fire ones?

Comment

I have been reduced to saying, “There’s a big storm coming, which might have us snowed in for several days. I’ll go out now and buy supplies – food, drink and used chess books!” This has worn very thin as of late. I’m hunting for new excuses. Are there any sure-fire ones?
                        You can make a New Year resolution such as: "This year I will buy ONLY 50 chess books" and have everyone agree with it.
                        There is a good chance that you'll be safe for six months or so.
                        Then in July or August try to "re-negotiate" the deal :)

Comment

I have used half my allotment for the year already then. No, some other artifice is necessary. I must try and remember, as a kid, how I sneaked new comic books past my mother in the kitchen on the way to my bedroom. Of course, then there is the evidence of the purchases sitting right out there in the open on my shelves…

Comment

I have used half my allotment for the year already then. No, some other artifice is necessary. I must try and remember, as a kid, how I sneaked new comic books past my mother in the kitchen on the way to my bedroom. Of course, then there is the evidence of the purchases sitting right out there in the open on my shelves…
                            Wow! You bought 25 books in one month ?? No wonder you need to hide your purchases from "prying eyes"!
                            Hopefully you sneaked all those Inside Chess magazines ;)
                            Today I ordered my set - but not from the C-Cfé as their shipping fees are atrocious (as you said).
                            Going back to the initial posting: my choices are the books on Nimzowitsch and Benko – I have most of the prize books (except 2001 and 2009). Also Marin’s book (2005) is among my favourites.
                            The new Nimzowitsch book (1928-35) is now available in presell (release in March)

Comment

I have seven of the Chess Cafe winners. With all respect to the others, my personal favourite is John Nunn's Understanding Chess Move by Move.

Comment

Working...
                              X