Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin of term gambit

http://www.merriam-webster.com/word-of-the-day/

In 1656, a chess handbook was published that was said to have almost a hundred illustrated "gambetts." That early spelling of "gambit" is close to the Italian word, "gambetto," from which it is derived. "Gambetto" was used for an act of tripping—especially one that gave an advantage, as in wrestling. The original chess gambit is an opening in which a bishop's pawn is sacrificed to gain some advantage, but the name is now applied to many other chess openings. After being pinned down to chess for about two centuries, "gambit" finally broke free of the hold and showed itself to be a legitimate contender in the English language by weighing in with other meanings.

Read more at http://www.merriam-webster.com/word-...R3bsLO1s6VG.99
    Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Monday, 28th January, 2013, 11:08 PM.

Re: Origin of term gambit

Edward Winter in CN 4592 gives reference to Greco’s book The Royall Game of Chesse-Play (1656) for first introducing the term with the spelling “gambett” and notes (CN 4602) that the first modern spelling “gambit” appeared in The History of Chess by R. Lambe (London, 1764).

(If you use the reference below, you have to scroll to the appropriate note number)

Just looking up the term I was reminded of the large number of gambits with strange-sounding names that you don’t hear much about these days, like the Rice, Salvio, Allgaier and Englund and a weird fantasy story by Lord Dunsany called The Three Sailors’ Gambit.

I last read Dunsany’s story as a teenager and cannot remember much about it except it was amusing and the gambit seemed doomed from the start.

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/w..._Who_C.N._4580

Comment

If I told you what I think is the origin of "gambit", I might literally be tricking you or leading you on---that is, pulling your leg.

Se dicessi quello che penso è l'origine di "gambit", potrei letteralmente essere ingannando voi o vi portando via --- cioè, tirando la gamba: un gambetto.

That is, "gamba" = "leg" in Italian. "Gambetto" might more exactly refer to a dubiously legal or risky move of pulling the leg in wrestling.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenneth Regan View Post
        If I told you what I think is the origin of "gambit", I might literally be tricking you or leading you on---that is, pulling your leg.

Se dicessi quello che penso è l'origine di "gambit", potrei letteralmente essere ingannando voi o vi portando via --- cioè, tirando la gamba: un gambetto.

That is, "gamba" = "leg" in Italian. "Gambetto" might more exactly refer to a dubiously legal or risky move of pulling the leg in wrestling.

Per un esempio di "gambetto rifutato", leggi questo. Ci sono anche molte pagine italiane per questo scandalo. Cerco le partite per testare---non sono in TWIC. Lo trovo incredibile, e veramente spaventevole.

Comment

I was 50 50 on the whether I was going to the Guelph tournament but 2 factors made me decide I was going. Hal bond is running the tournament which is always nice. Robert Kiviaho from Sudbury is coming to the tournament. Yo dude cant wait to see how you perform in Guelph. You hardly travel to tournaments outside Sudbury. I guess your tired of beating up on the Sudbury guys and need to show Guelph what Sudbury chess is like.
          testking braindumps test prep testking braindumps test prep
          646-206 646-206
          640-864 640-864
          SY0-301 SY0-301
          CISSP CISSP

Comment

Guelph gambiteers

Hey Marlin - thanks for your kind words. I am looking forward to seeing RK in action as well. I remember one year of the North Bay International Robert won a game against Gordon Taylor (?) and the key to his success was NOT moving his e or d pawns.

By the way, have you registered yet for Guelph? I can't find a player by your name in the CFC database. In any case, I look forward to meeting you.

Comment

Re: Guelph gambiteers

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
              By the way, have you registered yet for Guelph? I can't find a player by your name in the CFC database. In any case, I look forward to meeting you.
              Hal, it's a bot (spammer). The message text is the same as here by Mate Milinkovic http://chesstalk.info/forum/showpost...29&postcount=1

Comment

Guelph Gambiteers

Thanks Egis.

Comment

Working...
                X