Gibraltar Tradewise-Short v. Vitiugov

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibraltar Tradewise-Short v. Vitiugov

I have sometimes teased Nigel for playing so much blitz on-line. Never again. In last year's prestigious Gibraltar Tradewise Open, he won in a blitz play-off against Hou Yifan. This year, after a disastrous second-round loss to a much lower-rated player, he clawed his way back to a four-way tie for first. He won his semi-final blitz match and is about to play Vitiugov in the final. Go, Nigel, Go.:D

Re: Gibraltar Tradewise-Short v. Vitiugov

Vitiugov has won Gibraltar. In the blitz playoff, he won the first game as White when Nigel mistepped with his King on move 101 and resigned three moves later. In game two, Nigel pressed but never had a real advantage and the game petered out to a draw. Vitiugov wins 1.5:0.5. Congratulations to the winner.

Comment

I've been following Vitiugov's games and results recently and I predict he will soon join the over 2750 group and perhaps pass 2800 within a year. The guy is a real talent!

Comment

WOW NIGEL!! 47 years old and that close (what a fight! move 101? wow) and back in the 2700 club again. Congratulations! I enjoyed your games.

Comment

By the way, Nigel has already agreed to be the headliner at this year's Canadian Open Chess Championship in Ottawa in July.
          In 2007, he fell short by a half point against Bu.

Comment

Working...
          X