Happy Birthday 64 Lawrence Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday 64 Lawrence Day!

Lawrence you made it 64! the chessplayers dream! Wishing you all the best! Hans

Re: Happy Birthday 64 Lawrence Day!

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    Lawrence you made it 64! the chessplayers dream! Wishing you all the best! Hans

Happy Birthday Lawrence!

You have been a great influence in Canadian chess.

When do we get to see the book:

"My 64 Best Games" by Lawrence Day?

I remember looking at a game that you played at Pan-Am at McGill in the 1960's against Camille Coudari (sorry I do not remember who won...maybe Hugh has this game in his database).

I didn't understand it at all LOL

Larry

Comment

Happy Birthday 64 Lawrence Day!

A very happy birthday, youngster. You have come a long way from those days in Ottawa when we would play without a board on the bus downtown to hunt for chess books. Many happy returns.:)

Comment

Happy Birthday!

Comment

Re : Happy Birthday 64 Lawrence Day!

Chessgames.com is guilty of a rather egregious oversight today. How could they overlook Canada's own Lawrence Day?!!!

Happy Birthday To:
          Walter Cook Spens, Gerard Kroone, Arthur Cootes, Abo I Shagalovich, J J Van Oosterwijk Bruyn, Lazo Jancev, Alex Sherzer, Robert Rabiega, Michail Feygin, Vasily Yemelin, Alexander Galkin, and Xiu Deshun!

On the further subject of youth and age, I'll cede the stage to the man now generally acknowledged as the baddest of the legendary bad boys of literature, France's Michel Houellebecq, invariably either much hated or much loved, both in France and elsewhere. I rather liken him to Oscar Wilde but with a much more acerbic wit. I do hope Lawrence is a fan, or at least appreciates the humour herein.

“Youth was the time for happiness, its only season; young people, leading a lazy, carefree life, partially occupied by scarcely absorbing studies, were able to devote themselves unlimitedly to the liberated exultation of their bodies. They could play, dance, love, and multiply their pleasures. They could leave a party, in the early hours of the morning, in the company of sexual partners they had chosen, and contemplate the dreary line of employees going to work. They were the salt of the earth, and everything was given to them, everything was permitted for them, everything was possible. Later on, having started a family, having entered the adult world, they would be introduced to worry, work, responsibility, and the difficulties of existence; they would have to pay taxes, submit themselves to administrative formalities while ceaselessly bearing witness--powerless and shame-filled--to the irreversible degradation of their own bodies, which would be slow at first, then increasingly rapid; above all, they would have to look after children, mortal enemies, in their own homes, they would have to pamper them, feed them, worry about their illnesses, provide the means for their education and their pleasure, and unlike in the world of animals, this would last not just for a season, they would remain slaves of their offspring always, the time of joy was well and truly over for them, they would have to continue to suffer until the end, in pain and with increasing health problems, until they were no longer good for anything and were definitively thrown into the rubbish heap, cumbersome and useless. In return, their children would not be at all grateful, on the contrary their efforts, however strenuous, would never be considered enough, they would, until the bitter end, be considered guilty because of the simple fact of being parents. From this sad life, marked by shame, all joy would be pitilessly banished. When they wanted to draw near to young people's bodies, they would be chased away, rejected, ridiculed, insulted, and, more and more often nowadays, imprisoned. The physical bodies of young people, the only desirable possession the world has ever produced, were reserved for the exclusive use of the young, and the fate of the old was to work and to suffer. This was the true meaning of solidarity between generations; it was a pure and simple holocaust of each generation in favor of the one that replaced it, a cruel, prolonged holocaust that brought with it no consolation, no comfort, nor any material or emotional compensation.”
          ― Michel Houellebecq, The Possibility of an Island

Comment

I'll bring the topic up before anyone else. It is considered by some to be the ultimate chessplayer if one dies at age 64.:o Wilhelm Steinitz and Bobby Fischer are two of the most famous examples.:) Lawrence I wish you many more years of chess enjoyment.:) and unlike chessgames, chesstalk has noted one of Canada's chess legends and wishes him the best of birthday wishes.

Comment

Happy birthday, Lawrence!

Comment

Happy birthday, Lawrence! May you enjoy many more!
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Happy Birthday to IM Lawrence Day!!!!

Sixty-four years young! :) :)

Many Happy Returns for one of Canada's greatest-ever players and chess personalities!!!

Comment

Lawrence,

May I take the opportunity of this chessically significant birthday to appeal for a book of your best games! Larry, get the contract ready! :)

Comment

Thanks eh.
                      I hadn't been paying attention and that thought I was turning 63, 9x7,
                      but yes it's 64 which is a much cooler mandalic 8x8 :)

Comment

The cool age for a chess player to die is 96. 64 squares plus 32 pieces. Live your pieces Lawrence.

Comment

With at least one of the nice Kings Gambit wins.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                          X