John W. Chidley-Hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John W. Chidley-Hill

I'm sorry to announce the passing of John William Chidley-Hill, my beloved father and valued member of Toronto's chess community.

John played chess since he was a small boy at Bedford Park Public School and later as a member of the University of Toronto Schools' chess team.

He went on to play in tournaments across Canada, especially in southern Ontario.

Playing in speed chess tournaments on Saturday afternoons at Vlad Dobrich's Bayview Chess Club was a particular pleasure for John.

His funeral service will be Saturday, February 9, 2013, 1:30 PM, Forest Hill United Church , 2 Wembley Road, Toronto, M6C 2E9. Wembley Road is one block north of Eglinton on the west side of Bathurst Street.

In lieu of flowers donations to Forest Hill United Church, Dambusters Royal Canadian Legion Branch 617 (416 755-2559), or Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada, in John’s name, would be appreciated.

Re: John W. Chidley-Hill

RIP

I had not much chance to communicate with John. Once he served as the GTCL Director-in-Large several years ago, and with Bob Armstrong were preparing the new GTCL constitution, which after several changes was approved. It might be that he was more involved in earlier years. The old-timers may correct me.

It was always a pleasure to meet him in Hart House tournaments, and I once played him at Saturday blitz.

I think the picture was taken at Mama's cafe in 2010.

Comment

Thank you very much for your kind words and the photo.

He so loved playing chess on Saturday's. He'd tell me about each game he played every Saturday night or Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by John H. Chidley-Hill View Post
        Thank you very much for your kind words and the photo.

He so loved playing chess on Saturday's. He'd tell me about each game he played every Saturday night or Sunday.
        John and I always chatted at tournaments - a most pleasant guy. We were both lawyers and shared some stories and interests.

We worked together on the GTCL Constitution Committee I chaired, and he made valuable contributions. He was pleased when our efforts, in an amended form, were finally adopted by the GTCL.

A friendly chess acquaintance I'll miss.

Bob

Comment

This is shocking... So unexpectedly.
          He was the wisest man I've ever met in my life. I would always think to ask him if I had some problem or needed an advice in a situation. Every single story he used to tell me during the saturdays blits was very remarkable. He's helped many people, and a lot of people depended on him. Very sad. No words. My condolences...

Comment

Gosh, that's sad, he'll be missed, a really great guy.
            Helped a number of our community very quietly - many
            of whom came to me for legal advice, I passed them on
            to John, who, as always, did an outstanding job!

Vlad, who knows this better than many :-), might have
            a memorial event at some point? I'm sure John would smile!

Great-hearted soul! Slay them up there, John!

Francis

Comment

Thats a real shock. I can still picture John at our last game. No matter win, lose, or draw (and there were some of each) he reacted the same and offered a few quiet words. John struck me as a noble man who sincerely loved chess and was always ready for a game.

Comment

My condolences... we played several times and he was always a great opponent. Truly one of the friendliest guys to talk to at any event. He will be missed.

Comment

I made a short clip of the Hart House Hall overview during this year Winter Open, and ~0:03 John is laughing with Brian F ( a regular Saturday player)
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUUuqjenvn0 (with HD)

Comment

My condolences to the family and the chess community who have lost a decent man and a tough competitor. For a while there it seemed I was playing him at every other Toronto tournament that I played in. A good sport both in victory and defeat, he will be missed.

Comment

I just wanted to say that this is an absolute shock!! I got a real chance to talk to him at John Brown's invitational tournament last December and found him as interesting as anyone I've ever spoken to. He played at the Niagara Falls Open and was a pleasure to have at your tournaments.

He will be missed very much by the chess community.

Sorry for your loss.

John Erickson

Comment

wow, what a shock. John was a real gentleman who I always enjoyed chatting with. Played and chatted with John many times over the past 8 or so years. He will be missed. Condolences to the family.

Comment

Such sad and sudden news! We only had a chance to play once but it formed a connection ever after. My condolences to the family.

Comment

He will be missed..
                            A gentleman..
                            A great sparring chess buddy..

As you walked down the aisle of a chess tournament you were sure to get his smiling Hello..

My condolences

Comment

John will be truly missed.

We had a fantastic discussion about many things while
                              he was at my place for the William F. Darch Memorial IX.

John tied for First at last Year's Niagara Falls Open.

My Condolences to his family and friends.

Comment

Working...
                              X