John W. Chidley-Hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: John W. Chidley-Hill

I first met John Hill when we were competing/organizing in high school. He was top board for UTS and finished tied for 6th in the 1972 championship I posted the crosstable in an article in the Dec. 1 Toronto Chess News:

http://www.torontochessnews.com/pdf/TCN_1_7.pdf

He was very active in tournament play in southern Ontario and never seemed to retire from working personally as a lawyer for his clients, enjoying winning difficult cases.

In the past decade I played him many times in Dobrich's 5-minute tournaments and he won a little more than I. He was always warm and friendly and willing to offer a signature or freely share a legal opinion.

He changed his name to Chidley-Hill when he got married and he didn't know that one of his wife's relatives was the prize-winning top chess problem solver in newspaper contests.

Comment

I am shocked !!!

I played with john many times and he was a truly fantastic person no mater the result was he always smiled to me I will miss him.

My Condolences to his family

Comment

Sorry to hear about John's passing best wish to friends and family

Lee Hendon

Comment

Peter McSherry send the following>>>>

Hi Vlad - Would you post the following:
          I was saddened to hear of the sudden passing of John Chidley-Hill. As I knew him, John was intelligent, comfortable within himself, easy to talk to, without false modesty, and he loved the game of chess. There was an obvious decency to him. More than anything else, the John Chidley-Hill I knew was a gentleman. My condolences to his family.
          Thanks, Vlad. P.M.

Comment

Very sad news. John was a real gentleman, very nice and smart person. Last 10 years we played a lot in Vlad D. tournaments. Mark was shocked also.

Our condolences to his family.

Comment

John was always the certain entry to the Saturday Rapid - rarely did he allow his legal work to super-cede his Saturday chess. He was always there with a legal opinion and advice for whoever asked. When we were illegally locked out of our Bayview premises he pursued the case to court and eventually won us a cash settlement. He worked too hard on his legal cases - he once came by at shortly before midnight to take sworn affidavits pertaining to that case and he did it all without asking for monetary compensation!
              What a tragic loss this is for Toronto chess! So very sad also that he will miss the coming season of the Toronto Blue Jays. John seemed to know the most obscure trivia from a hundred years of baseball. He had a season pass to the Blue Jays games which he would attend with his son John Jr.
              John, you will be sorely missed.

Comment

John was a true gentleman, who seemed always to be enjoying playing and analysing. We are truly fortunate to have known him.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
                  Very sad news. John was a real gentleman, very nice and smart person. Last 10 years we played a lot in Vlad D. tournaments. Mark was shocked also.

Our condolences to his family.
                  I had the pleasure of spending some real time with John on a number of occasions over the last decade or so. He was an incredibly bright fellow...and his anecdotes from the legal and the chess world were simply too funny!

I will miss him very much...he was always a bright light in my life!

Larry

Comment

My condolences to the family and the chess community.

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
                      My condolences to the family and the chess community.
                      Rest In Peace.

Comment

It would be nice to see his favourite games, did he keep his scoresheets? I only see one win in the database. I know he defeated master Andrei Moffat and several experts.

Looking at John's obit in the Toronto Star:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/the...01#fbLoggedOut

Also found this one for Henry Zizys, Oct 6, 2012, who was one of 5 who defeated Fischer in a simult in Montreal on Feb 23, 1964. Does anyone have that game?

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/the...70#fbLoggedOut

Position from his win: http://365project.org/dora/365/2012-10-08

Comment

I have 16 of John's games from 2007 to 2011 (only 3 wins - against Bob Armstrong (Canada Day Open 2007), Ali Razzaq (Canadian Open 2011), and Natasa Serbanescu (Canadian Open 2011). In addition, I have a game played by John W. Hill (he changed his name at some point?) from 1976 - a loss to Bryon Nickoloff in the Christmas Open.

I don't believe the Fischer-Zizys game is available, but here are extracts of some email correspondence I had with him (Zizys) in 2003:

"I do have the scoresheet of my game against Bobby Fischer with his
                          signature next to my entry "Resigns" after the 21st move. This is only
                          one of the very few scoresheets I saved.

From 1948 to 1957 I lived in Sudbury, Ontario, where I was the region
                          champion for seven consecutive years - 1949 to 1956. But most of my
                          games there were of little value - the competition was not strong enough.
                          After moving to Montreal my life situation changed. Here I had to work
                          much harder and could not afford the time for chess.
                          However, Ignas Zalys talked me into joining the Lithuanian C.C. and we
                          became very good friends. In 1963 our team tied the Montreal C.C. for
                          the first place - Zalys and I interchangeably played the first board.
                          Besides that, we had many interesting games between us two. Since you
                          inherited Zalys' memorabilia you may find there some games between us.
                          If I remember correctly, we had a match in 1961 which I think I won or
                          at least tied.

After 1964 I gave up competitive chess completely. Occasionally, I used
                          to play some blitz games with Laszlo Witt and Zalys. Witt, by the way,
                          used to clobber me most of the time but not Zalys - you see I was younger.

Now I live in Toronto and don't even know where is a chess club here."

He also mentioned that he won a nice game against Hans Berliner at the 1956 Canadian Open. That game is not available either (not in the tournament book).

Comment

I am still in a state of shock over John's untimely passing. Friends and acquaintances may wish to visit his online obit in the Toronto Star (link given by Erik Malmsten above) and read and/or post a message in the 'guest book' there, which will still be online for another month or so. I posted the following a few days ago:

February 8, 2013

I first met John many years ago at the Bayview Games Club, where we both shared our passion for chess. We crossed swords many times, and win, lose or draw, his etiquette was always impeccable. My brother, Todd (also a chess player), sister Karen and I also went to Bedford Park, and Todd also attended UTS. John and I became die-hard regulars of the Saturday speed-chess events, following the location around as it moved here and there. We became quite close, and I looked forward to seeing him every Saturday afternoon at the club. Invariably, we would also discuss the goings on (mostly negative!) with the Blue Jays. Baseball was a HUGE passion of John's, rivaling even that of chess. I'm sad that he won't be here to witness the resurrection of the franchise this coming year, but if they win it all I know he'll be up there somewhere, quietly smiling and enjoying it in his special way. I would also bump into John at the more serious weekend chess tournaments. We'd say hello or share a joke between rounds, sometimes in the hall between moves. Sometimes I'd go take a look at his game, and even if it was his move, he'd take the time to look up at me and give me that warm smile of his, as if to say "Hi, thanks for looking!" I found John to be a quiet, polite, warm, funny and smart man. Whenever I asked him about how his son was doing with his sports blog, etc. he literally beamed and lit up like a Christmas tree! He was so very proud of you, John. The last time I saw John was at the Hart House Chess Tournament at the beginning of January. It was extra special to see him again since I hadn't been playing in the weekend blitz tournaments the last couple of years or so. We chatted briefly in the hall between moves, and I told him, "Maybe I'll come by the club again sometime." His response was simply, "I hope so!" The Toronto Chess scene will not be the same without you, John. R.I.P. Deepest condolences to friends and family.

~

Dave Southam,

Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Working...
                            X