Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gatineau Open

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post
    As a former politician, I do not understand the high-low prize advertised on the website.

Please enlighten me of a) the winner and b) the method of choosing the high-low prize winner.
    AFAIK: lowest rated player in the prize money gets a bonus. I think Agastya won it.

PS: What does "as a former politician" add to your question?

Comment

Gatineau Open PHOTOS

I've posted some photos I took from today's final round of of the 2013 Gatineau Open.

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/album.php?albumid=48

Comment

As a former politician, I do not understand the high-low prize advertised on the website.

Please enlighten me of a) the winner and b) the method of choosing the high-low prize winner.

Norm
        The high-low prize seems to be the highest ratio of tournament score to pre-game rating, per tournament section, according to my understanding. I won it for the U1900 section with 3.0 points and 1438 or something rating; I don't know who the winner was in the U1600 section.

So if you want to calculate each person's high-low score, you take that person's tournament score and divide it by their pre-tournament rating, I think.
        Last edited by Paul Abrams; Monday, 4th March, 2013, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Abrams View Post
          The high-low prize seems to be the highest ratio of tournament score to pre-game rating, per tournament section, according to my understanding.
          How do you know?

Norm

Comment

How do you know?
            Marcel explained what the prize was when he told me I won the prize and took my address. It's also consistent with the explanation at http://www.eoca.org/page6/page21/index.html, although I'm not sure the wording there is obvious ("highest score and lowest rating", which only makes sense if we assume it means highest ratio of score to rating). In addition, it seems consistent with the results.

Comment

Who were the winners in each section for the high-low prize? I will tell my secretary to double check the winners tomorrow morning.

Norm

Comment

Who were the winners in each section for the high-low prize? I will tell my secretary to double check the winners tomorrow morning.

Norm
                Doesn't look like the winners are posted, and this is all just speculation. I don't know what formula was actually used.

Comment

Working...
                X