Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Chess Going Mainstream

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
    Except it doesn't really make sense mathematically. Having all the Russians be +0 after a large series of games should decrese, not increase, the chance of a Russian winner. If the 'fix' was truly in, the Russians should have all been losing to the one Russian they wanted to win the tournament (:
    The world is more than math. If one is assured of a quick draw this allows one to conserve energy and gives one more preparation time, and this is clearly an advantage.

Comment

Re: Chess Going Mainstream

I assume that the next year Aeroflot will have a different format.
      Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Saturday, 16th February, 2013, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Re: Chess Going Mainstream

Finally I can bring my chess pieces out of the closet and proudly proclaim in the street I Am A Chess Player!

Comment

Re : Re: Chess Going Mainstream

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          I assume that the next year Aeroflot will have a different format.
          Unlikely. The organizer wrote that the previous format (classical time control) was boring, miserable and useless.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Chess Going Mainstream

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
            Unlikely. The organizer wrote that the previous format (classical time control) was boring, miserable and useless.
            imho, the problem is not with the time control but all various preliminaries with 10 moves draws.

As for a classical time control - it might be the main reason was Moscow Open.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Chess Going Mainstream

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
              Jack I think you should stop comparing chess to other sports. Chess isn't a sport, it's a competitive activity that FIDE is trying to implement as a sport with their drug testing bullshit. There's nothing unsportsmanlike with accepting short draws. Haven't you ever heard of the good old days where the top Russian GM's would just draw with each other and then beat up on the rest of the field? If you try reinforcing ridiculous rules like double zero in any short draw what's to stop anyone from just playing a theoretical draw line or just play an early 3-move rep? I can understand that you want to see exciting chess with decisive results every time but you're a spectator. It's a whole different story for top level players to try to play like that every tournament. They will be worn out.
              I'm sure you're not swayed, Bindi, but Tanya Aldred seems almost willing to grant chess 'sport' status.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/989...n-Britain.html

Comment

Working...
              X