Bent Larsen’s Chess Columns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent Larsen’s Chess Columns

From the time I saw Larsen’s chess columns in Chess Canada I thought that a good book could be made by publishing them. Of course anyone can come up with the idea – the hard part is collecting his columns, getting permission to translate and reproduce them, finding a publisher etc.

I looked up some from 1971 and they have titles like Youthful Optimism (Mecking – Larsen), Match Preparation (Uhlmann - Ujtumen), Worst Luck I’ve Ever Had (Larsen – Teschner), The Chance I Missed (Game 2 of Fischer - Larsen) and Analytical Overkill, which discusses the Lolli Position (Rook and Bishop vs Rook).

Two comments – the first by Jon Speelman and the second by Kevin Spraggett:
    “Over the years I played about a dozen hard games with Larsen, with about an even score; indeed, jet-lagged in the first round of a tournament in Lone Pine in California he was my first grandmaster victim. After the games, I sometimes had the pleasure of having dinner with him and would be regaled by his fine stock of anecdotes. He had a chess column for many years and I can well remember him at a public phone in the crumbling Queen's Hotel in Hastings attempting to transmit his column, word by painful word, move by painful move.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ob...s-2083732.html

“Bent was also a great writer. He is reputed to have become the world's first millionaire amongst chess players in the 1960's by the shear number of paid chess columns he had syndicated in the chess world. So sought out were his chess columns that he actually found himself spending more time at tournaments writing into the wee hours of the night than actually playing and preparing. Often players asked to not be housed on the same floor of the hotel as Larsen, because his typewriter was constantly working!”

http://kevinspraggett.blogspot.ca/20...september.html

He wrote for the Danish journal Skakbladet from 1950 to 2010. Other chess writings were for Schacknytt (Sweden) 1974 – 84, 1988 – 89, Frederiksborg Amts Avis: 1967 - 92, Ekstra Bladet: 1976 - 2000 (both Denmark).

The Chess Canada articles were from 1970 – 75, accompanied by a lovely line drawing of Larsen.

I really don’t know anything about his Scandinavian work and would welcome any information from readers about their content.

A complete bibliography of Larsen’s work can be found at
    http://www.dsu.dk/skakblad/sb2010/larsen.pdf

The most recent articles readily available are in the German publication Kaissiber 1997 - 2010. The rather odd name is apparently a combination of the goddess of chess (Caissa) and kassiber – a secret and prohibited message smuggled out of prison!

Some articles in Kaissiber are Larsen on Siegbert Tarrasch, on Unzicker the Amateur, on My System and on The Bird Opening.

In New in Chess 2010, Issue 4, on the occasion of Larsen’s 75th birthday, the authors say:

“Bent Larsen wanted to play chess, and write. His chess writing is among the best, combining analysis with humour and psychological understanding of the fight, most notably in his classic game collection 50 Selected Games, from 1968. But there is much more. He is one of the great teachers of chess, with numerous works, directed at the general club player as well as inspiring the very best. The first chess book that Magnus Carlsen read was Bent Larsen’s Find planen (Find the plan).”

Re: Bent Larsen’s Chess Columns

Those of a certain age will remember ZOOM 001 (written with Steffen Zeuthen), a work which acquired cult status. (Zero hour for Operative Opening Models - it examined playing Grünfeld structures with either colour.) I also have fond memories of Larsen's book on the 1978 Karpov-Korchnoi World Championship.

Comment

Someone once creamed my Grunfeld and I haven't played it since.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

It is somewhat disheartening to find that, just after posting the article on Larsen, there is a book out (in Danish) containing: a collection of his brilliant games, selected articles, and a portrait of Fischer.

Alle Brikker Angriber! at 300 kr.

One review says:

"ALL CHECKERS attack!" is the first of two volumes of Bent Larsen's performance. The book includes a revised version of the 50 selected games as well as 40% new material with chess games played by Larsen until 1973.

Besides 74 fully annotated games by Bent Larsen is a separate section on the eccentric Bobby Fischer, portrayed from close range. Many of Larsen's assessments of Fischer is characterized by his "light pen" and fine irony, written as unadorned as credible. He gives us the real picture of the American genius and also of many other great players of that era.

Comment

Re : Bent Larsen’s Chess Columns

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
          From the time I saw Larsen’s chess columns in Chess Canada I thought that a good book could be made by publishing them. Of course anyone can come up with the idea – the hard part is collecting his columns, getting permission to translate and reproduce them, finding a publisher etc.
          He also wrote several columns for the French magazine Europe-Echecs.

Comment

"Bent Larsen - The fighter" by Eric Brondum - chess journalist and Copenhagen champion (in 1976) - is a nice little book ( English, hardcover) of about 160-170 pages.
            It includes 75 of Larsen's games, played between 1956-1977 - divided in 4 chapters with short introductions (one page), a few photos (maybe half a dozen)," Find the winning combination!" (8 puzzles).

San Antonio 1972 has Larsen as one of the two main authors - with David Levy.
            Other top grandmasters are annotating their games.

Comment

It is somewhat disheartening to find that, just after posting the article on Larsen, there is a book out (in Danish) containing: a collection of his brilliant games, selected articles, and a portrait of Fischer.
              The book is available also in Spanish, German and (possibly) Italian.
              Spanish title: “Todas las Piezas Atacan”. German Title: "Alle Figuren greifen an, Band 1"
              A second volume was published (in Spanish) in 2011 including Larsen's games between 1974-1977 (ISBN 10: 8493764574 / ISBN 13: 9788493764579)

http://es.chessbase.com/home/TabId/55/PostId/8764
              Last edited by Emil Smilovici; Tuesday, 19th February, 2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the info.

I think I might buy the two-volume set in Spanish. Although I don’t know a word of that language, “All the Pieces Attack” seems a reasonable translation of the title.

Comment

Thank you for the info.

I think I might buy the two-volume set in Spanish. Although I don’t know a word of that language, “All the Pieces Attack” seems a reasonable translation of the title.
                  I almost bought vol. 1 when I realized that 50 games are exactly his famous collection of games between 1951-1969 which I have already! That's more than half of the book (150 pages out of the 288)
                  The chapter on Fischer has over 40 pages (pp. 198 -240)
                  Chapter 17 (pages 241-276) contains the selected articles

Here is the table of contents:

Prologo del Editor:
                  Prologo del Autor:
                  Capitulo 1: Los Comienzos
                  Capítulo 2: Maestro Internacional
                  Capítulo 3: Campeón Escandinavo
                  Capítulo 4: iGran Maestro!
                  Capítulo 5: Altibajos
                  Capítulo 6: Experimentos
                  Capítulo 7: Pausa Involuntaria
                  Capítulo 8: Un Gran Salto Hacia Adelante
                  Capítulo 9: Elección Difícil
                  Capítulo 10: El Público Quiere Juego Agudo
                  Capítulo 1 1: Resultados Satisfactorios
                  Capítulo 12: Resultados Fantásticos
                  Capítulo 13: Algunas Victorias Más
                  Capítulo 14: Acerca de Mi Estilo
                  Capítulo 15: Los Mejores Años: 1969-1973
                  Capítulo 16: Bobby Fischer
                  Capítulo 17: Artículos Varios
                  Capítulo 18: La extraordinaria personalidad de Larsen
                  Indice de Motivos Posicionales, Jugadores, Aperturas
                  Last edited by Emil Smilovici; Wednesday, 20th February, 2013, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Let's not forget his book of the 1978 World Championship match between Viktor Korchnoi and Anatoly Karpov, published (as I recall) by Unwin. In one game Karpov as Black had a pawn on c4. Korchnoi played b2-b4 and Larsen wrote, "Why?? Why?? Why give Black such a strong passed pawn??" Great stuff!

Comment

New Larsen Book

New Larsen Book

New in Chess has just (July, 2014) published:

Bent Larsen’s Best Games
                      Fighting Chess with the Great Dane
                      By Bent Larsen
                      Softback, 350 pages, 2014

Translated from Todas Las Piezas Atacan, Volumes 1 and 2 by Freddie Poggio and John Saunders

Most of us have Larsen’s Selected Games of Chess 1948-69, G. Bell and Sons 1970. It was originally published as 50 Udvalgte Partier, 1948-1969, Samlerens Forlag, Copenhagen, 1969.

The English translation has 50 games beginning with Larsen-Joyner, Birmingham, 1951 and ending with Bobotsov-Larsen, Busum, 1969. 181 pages with English Descriptive Notation.

In the Editor’s Forward to this new book Peter Boel says:

In 2006 Spanish grandmaster Alfonso Romero Holmes published his first volume of a new Spanish edition, Bent Larsen Todas Las Piezas Atacan (“all the pieces attack”, an expression greatly favoured by Larsen himself). This collection contained 74 games analyzed by Larsen, the last one being his victory against Miguel Quinteros in Manila 1973. In 2009 a German version of this book was published by SchachDepot as Bent Larsen: Alle Figuren greifen an.

In the meantime Romero Holmes had obtained an extensive number of articles that Larsen had written for various newspapers and magazines from Larson’s second wife Laura. This material appeared in 2012 as the second volume of Bent Larsen: Todas La Piezas Atacan.

The present English edition is based on these Spanish editions. Both of them also contain a number of articles on other players. Although these are definitely not without interest, we have decided to confine this book to Larsen’s own games. For that reason we have also included only those pages of his famous article ‘A Genius Called Bobby Fischer’ that describe games between Fischer and Larsen, and stories about their relationship. We have added many pictures and tournament tables.
                      _______

Contents

1. The Will to Win by Peter Heine Nielsen, Dan H. Andersen and Thorbjorn Rosenlund – a fourteen-page essay with games against Tal, Petrosian, Spassky and Karpov.

2. Author’s Preface – as in the 1970 book.

3. Editor’s Forward

4. Games Analyzed by Bent Larsen – 1–51 as in the 1970 book. One game, Gligorich-Larsen, Palma de Mallorca 1967, Game 48, has been inserted into this group.

5. Games Analyzed by Bent Larsen – 52-122 covering the period 1969 to 1977.

6. Chapter 37 Bobby Fischer – 6-page essay with games 123 and 124 both Fischer-Larsen (Portoroz Interzonal 1958 and Zurich 1959).

7. Chapter 38 Bent Larsen’s Extraordinary Personality, Las Palmas 1971 by Eligio Quinteiro, 2 pages.

8. Chapter 39 Bent Larsen’s Exhausting Curriculum Vitae by Eligio Quinteiro, 2 pages.

9. Larsen’s Achievements until 1973

10. Index of Openings

11. Game List

________

There are long game introductions in the “new chapters”. They have such titles as My First Victory against Smyslov (19), Manila 1973 (21), The Spanish Team Championship 1974 (23) and Biel Interzonal 1976 – Group compositions, possibilities, politics and technicians (28).

The usual high standard of NIC book production with clear diagrams, lots of photos and added crosstables.

The book needs no recommendation from me. It should be on every chessplayer’s bookshelf.
                      Last edited by Wayne Komer; Wednesday, 16th July, 2014, 02:55 AM.

Comment

"The reader has almost been promised a mating attack, and this simple pawn grabbing may be a disappointment. But it is really an attacking move, the Rook on QB1 joins the battle and I can write one of my favourite comments: 'all pieces are attacking!'" -- Bent Larsen, annotating his game with Karl Robatsch, Halle 1963 (Larsen's Selected Games of Chess 1948-1969, p. 61).

Comment

Working...
                        X