Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ishi Press - copyright violation?

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
    I wonder why Everyman/Cadogan/Pergamon is suddenly concerned about copyright violation on the Petrosian two-volume game collection when they negligently allowed it to go out of print and out of general availability to the point where used copies of each volume are now going for several hundred dollars in the after-market. Instead of wasting time trying to bring the rapscallion Sam Sloan to account, wouldn't it be better to offload the publication rights to Hardinge Simpole for a reasonable sum so that a print-on-demand version could compete in the legitimate marketplace? Just asking...
    Agreed 100% !!

I could not find a “reasonable” copy of Brad Darrach’s Bobby Fischer Vs the Rest of the World - before the “pirated” version was printed in 2009. Sloan explains how he chased after the copyright owner and could not find him/her: author passed away, publisher filled bankruptcy etc. etc.
    Guess what? The used books market price for it went down considerably after 2009 .......

As Brian mentions, the quality of the print, especially the diagrams, is very poor in most of those books.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil Smilovici View Post
      Agreed 100% !!

I could not find a “reasonable” copy of Brad Darrach’s Bobby Fischer Vs the Rest of the World - before the “pirated” version was printed in 2009. Sloan explains how he chased after the copyright owner and could not find him/her: author passed away, publisher filled bankruptcy etc.
      I suddenly feel lucky to have found an original copy of this book in a thrift store a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        So should we be stocking the Ishi Press, Cadogan bought by Everyman titles...from Ishi...in your opinion..hey Sloan is a bright guy...maybe he goes where he has every right to go...
        I don't think that the possible loss of reputation in the event of prosecution would be worth the trouble of stocking books with problematic copyrights. I would not knowingly buy anything associated with Sam Sloan. Given that the books in question are photocopies of the original what is to stop anyone from doing the same thing Sloan did and simply photocopying the photocopies or even better transcribing them into a new book? I doubt that Sam Sloan could prosecute anyone based on the flimsy claim to copyright based on a few extra useless pages authored by Sloan.

Comment

Working...
        X