Paul Keres in Toronto, 1975

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paul Keres in Toronto, 1975

I am the 4th person from the far end in the row behind Keres, thinking about my 7th move. I checked my scoresheet against the position on the board just to be sure.
    Does any one remember the result of this simul? I have a recollection of the last game: I think Peter Nurmi was the last holdout.
    Also, I know there were other pictures taken -- does anyone know who has one?
    Last edited by Rod Hill; Wednesday, 6th March, 2013, 03:02 PM. Reason: Adding new information

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Hill View Post
      I am the 4th person from the far end in the row behind Keres, thinking about my 7th move. I checked my scoresheet against the position on the board just to be sure.
      Does any one remember the result of this simul? I have a recollection of the last game: I think Peter Nurmi was the last holdout.
      Also, I know there were other pictures taken -- does anyone know who has one?

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post

I was told once that readers could not see my posted pictures when they were at the chesstalk album
        and as I am saying to many - there are a lot of readers and a little bit of writers :p

Comment

The clock simul was on Adelaide at the TCC. Keres scored 4.5/6 playing at 40/2.5, then the classical time control but with six games at once.

Nickoloff won a long 2Nvs2B endgame, I drew and (I think) Vranesic, Amos, Nurmi, Dobrich lost. Then we spent a few days analyzing the games. It was very instructive and I used that same format a few years later for an OCA training event for top juniors.

Recruited by John Prentice, Keres had started analyzing with the Canadian team at the Nice 1974 Olympiad.

[Event "Training, 6-board Clock Simul"]
          [Site "Toronto Chess club"]
          [Date "1975.??.??"]
          [EventDate "?"]
          [Round "?"]
          [Result "1/2-1/2"]
          [White "Paul Keres"]
          [Black "Lawrence Day"]
          [ECO "C72"]
          [WhiteElo "2565"]
          [BlackElo "2367"]
          [PlyCount "120"]

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 d6 5.O-O Bg4 6.h3 h5 7.c3 Qf6
          8.d3 Nge7 9.Nbd2 Ng6 10.Bxc6+ bxc6 11.Qa4 Kd7 12.d4 Nf4
          13.dxe5 dxe5 14.Re1 Bc5 15.Qc4 Bd6 16.Re3 Be6 17.Qf1 g5 18.Nc4
          g4 19.Nh2 Bc5 20.h4 Bxe3 21.Bxe3 Bxc4 22.Qxc4 Rhd8 23.g3 Ne6
          24.Rf1 Qg6 25.f3 gxf3 26.Rxf3 Ke8 27.Qxc6+ Kf8 28.Nf1 Rab8
          29.b4 Kg8 30.Rf5 Rd1 31.Bg5 Rd6 32.Qc4 Ng7 33.Rxe5 Re8
          34.Rxe8+ Nxe8 35.Ne3 Qe6 36.Nd5 c6 37.Ne7+ Kf8 38.Qe2 Qg4
          39.Qe3 Rd1+ 40.Kf2 f6 41.Qc5 Nd6 42.Nd5 Qe6 43.Bf4 cxd5
          44.Qxd6+ Kf7 45.Qc7+ Kg6 46.Qd8 Ra1 47.Qxd5 Rxa2+ 48.Ke3 Qb6+
          49.Kd3 Qb5+ 50.Qxb5 axb5 51.c4 bxc4+ 52.Kxc4 Kf7 53.b5 Ke7
          54.Kd5 Kd7 55.e5 fxe5 56.Bxe5 Rd2+ 57.Kc4 Kc8 58.Bf4 Rd1
          59.Be3 Kb7 60.Bd4 Rb1 1/2-1/2
          Last edited by Lawrence Day; Wednesday, 6th March, 2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            Can somebody confirm that Paul Keres gave a simul with clocks too? Later it transformed into a coaching/training session by analyzing those games. Where did I read it?
            Keres did a 5-board clocked simult and post-analysis in Toronto against Nickoloff, Day (60 move draw linked below), and probably Nurmi? and ? and ? A little more detail might be in Day's book on Nickoloff.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1496185

Opps, Lawrence beat me to the post!
            Last edited by Erik Malmsten; Wednesday, 6th March, 2013, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Is the fellow in the tie, upper right, George Kuprejanov?

Comment

Great photo! I remember watching that event. I think I am at the far left in the photo, next to the guy with the fu-manchu moustache. I was new to tournament chess then and thus too bashful to sign up for the simul. But I did buy a copy of "How to Open a Chess Game" and got Keres (one of several co-authors) to autograph it.

Comment

Hart House trivia:

Let's try to identify the photos on the wall. The left one is obviously Queen Elizabeth II - who is on the right? Was it Jules Leger (the Governor-General at the time)? Was it Vincent Massey (who provided the funds for building Hart House)? Was it Hart Massey (his grandfather - for whom he named the building)? Someone else?

More trivia: Massey had a budget of $300,000 for the building. It ended up costing $2,000,000 (in 1919).
                  Massey's donation stipulated that the building was to be used only by men, as he felt that a coeducational facility would ruin the sense of collegiality that he hoped to create. Beginning in the 1950s, this restriction created much controversy as women demanded admission. Massey stood by his original conditions, however. After his death the Stewards and administrators of Hart House had Massey's deed of gift altered to allow women to become members. Since 1972, women have been able to fully participate in the House's activities.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                    Hart House trivia:

Let's try to identify the photos on the wall. The left one is obviously Queen Elizabeth II - who is on the right? Was it Jules Leger (the Governor-General at the time)? Was it Vincent Massey (who provided the funds for building Hart House)? Was it Hart Massey (his grandfather - for whom he named the building)? Someone else?

More trivia: Massey had a budget of $300,000 for the building. It ended up costing $2,000,000 (in 1919).
                    Massey's donation stipulated that the building was to be used only by men, as he felt that a coeducational facility would ruin the sense of collegiality that he hoped to create. Beginning in the 1950s, this restriction created much controversy as women demanded admission. Massey stood by his original conditions, however. After his death the Stewards and administrators of Hart House had Massey's deed of gift altered to allow women to become members. Since 1972, women have been able to fully participate in the House's activities.
                    The second photo was Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. It was Abby Hoffman, the Canadian track and field star, who began working out at Hart House and broke the sex barrier. Prior to allowing women, legend has it, that men would swim in the Hart House pool without bathing suits. I also understand when Lenoid Shamkovich stayed at Hart House for a tournament in Toronto in the 1980's, he upheld this tradition.

Comment

At least one woman played in the 1968 Canadian Open (in which I played), which was held at Hart House. Were women allowed in for special events?
                      (Vincent Massey died Dec. 30, 1967. Was his "deed of gift" altered immediately upon his death?)

Comment

This picture was taken by Vlad Dobrich and given to me to aid in promoting any Hart House Chess Club activities. The chess club was broken into and items stolen. I took this picture home and an old 6th edition of MCO that had been owned by Frank Anderson, to protect them. As the years went by we never really resolved the club's security issues. Even later on my house eventually turned into one of those horror stories involving hording. Well the house was cleaned up and sold and I moved to Newmarket. Fortunately these items survived. I was always intending to have the Hart House Chess Club donate them to a Canadian Chess hall of fame, but the status of the CFC never made that feasible.

Forgive my spelling, but starting from the lower left (with the help of the other posters) we have. Gary Burk (is his position cement enough?), Phil Haley, Kerns, B. Campbell, Larry Hammick (Won the Ontario High School Championship over Peter Matsi), Dimytriev. Top left to right, Martin Davenport (just behind Keres back), Jonathan Schaeffer, David Lavin. I am not 100% sure that is Zoltan Sarosy behind them. "Chess Canada" former employee.. Rubinstien in the far top left? Most of the people behind and to the right of David Lavin are Keres' countrymen or at least I got that impression at the time. I'm under the coat of arms at the back. Ian Kilgour's eyes are near the top right. The half seen roundish face in front of him is a chess player, but I can't remember his name. F. Bergeron starts off the bottom right. Now where is the KGB?

Comment

[QUOTE= Now where is the KGB?[/QUOTE]

in 1975? everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Day View Post
                            Is the fellow in the tie, upper right, George Kuprejanov?
                            NOT! Actually, believe it or not that was Richard Nixon!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                              A $300,000 budget with $1,700,000 in cost overruns?? Too bad we don't have have time machines: Massey could have been a star in Dalton's cabinet during the McGuinty Reign of Error.
                              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                                NOT! Actually, believe it or not that was Richard Nixon!!
                                Richard M. Nixon? I don't recognize him.
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X