Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Greedy Lying Bastards

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
    From the title, I thought it was a film about the Trillium/OCA scandal.
    In the fall I read a book on global warming, "Red Hot Lies", which was the right leaning answer to pejorative book titles.

http://www.amazon.ca/Red-Hot-Lies-Al.../dp/1596985380

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
    Oh, goody. I like propaganda films. I get a big container of popcorn with butter and play spot the fallacy and sheer doggerel. When I spot 20 or more I buy some licorice to reward myself.
    Personally I like propaganda films too; but, might I recommend healthy rewards for spotting fallacies. How about an apple or a stick of celery.

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
    Here is something that is sure to bring joy to the hearts of the alternate reality climate deniers... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchants_of_Doubt
    Paul how do you encourage skepticism without getting lost in the jungle of conspiracy theories or the tangle of arguments thrown up by people who are hired by corporations just to block progress?

I don't think the solution is to get frustrated about doubt itself, since doubt is one of the founding principles of science.

To my thinking every single objection should be compiled in a database.
    ...And then of course you need a public friendly interface for the "database of global warming questions."

I guess you could also apply Ockham's razor in some cases...

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
      Or maybe "Inglourious Bastards"...
      How about Bastards That Can't Spell?

Great post Garvin. Except for the Health Canada advert. No one has ever been motivated by a celery stick.

Comment

"Inglourious Basterds" [aargh! I missed one spelling error - Ken K.] is a 2009 war film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino and starring Brad Pitt, Christoph Waltz, Mélanie Laurent, Michael Fassbender, and Eli Roth. The film tells the fictional alternate history story of two plots to assassinate Nazi Germany's political leadership, one planned by a young French Jewish cinema proprietor (Laurent), and the other by a team of Jewish-American soldiers led by First Lieutenant Aldo Raine (Pitt). The film's title was inspired by director Enzo G. Castellari's 1978 Macaroni Combat film, The Inglorious Bastards

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
          "Inglourious Basterds" [aargh! I missed one spelling error - Ken K.] is a 2009 war film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino and starring Brad Pitt, Christoph Waltz, Mélanie Laurent, Michael Fassbender, and Eli Roth. The film tells the fictional alternate history story of two plots to assassinate Nazi Germany's political leadership, one planned by a young French Jewish cinema proprietor (Laurent), and the other by a team of Jewish-American soldiers led by First Lieutenant Aldo Raine (Pitt). The film's title was inspired by director Enzo G. Castellari's 1978 Macaroni Combat film, The Inglorious Bastards
          That's no excuse for poor spelling. If Hollywood told you to jump off a cliff would you?

Comment

I got an email from the Green Party reminding me that it is Earth Day on saturday. An excerpt from the email:

Please join people around the world on March 23rd between 8:30 and 9:30pm local time by turning off your lights to raise awareness about climate change and the importance of a healthy planet.

2013 marks the 9th anniversary of Earth Hour, an event that has grown to include hundreds of millions of people, businesses, and governments around the world.

Your participation contributes to a global demand for effective action on climate change, both in Canada and worldwide.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              I got an email from the Green Party reminding me that it is Earth Day on saturday. An excerpt from the email:

Please join people around the world on March 23rd between 8:30 and 9:30pm local time by turning off your lights to raise awareness about climate change and the importance of a healthy planet.

2013 marks the 9th anniversary of Earth Hour, an event that has grown to include hundreds of millions of people, businesses, and governments around the world.

Your participation contributes to a global demand for effective action on climate change, both in Canada and worldwide.
              Good thing the winter open games will likely be over by then; otherwise you'd have people playing in the dark.

Comment

Good thing the winter open games will likely be over by then; otherwise you'd have people playing in the dark.
                Round 3 starts at 6pm. I would expect a number of games will still be in progress when the lights go out. Hans will have a distinct advantage. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  Round 3 starts at 6pm. I would expect a number of games will still be in progress when the lights go out. Hans will have a distinct advantage. :D
                  You got that right :)

Comment

How about Bastards That Can't Spell?

Great post Garvin. Except for the Health Canada advert. No one has ever been motivated by a celery stick.
                    Actually, it could be a play on the misspelled remake titled "Inglorious Basterds" starring Brad Pitt...
                    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

That's no excuse for poor spelling. If Hollywood told you to jump off a cliff would you?
                      Tsk tsk, Zeljko... If you're going to correct someone's spelling, you should at least use correct punctuation ;) (hint: you're missing a comma in your question).
                      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                        Tsk tsk, Zeljko... If you're going to correct someone's spelling, you should at least use correct punctuation ;) (hint: you're missing a comma in your question).
                        Commas and I are not friends. They are the yield signs of grammar. Always slowing you down for no apparent reason. At least that's how it seems to me.

Or maybe I just avoid them in general because commas and periods are used differently in writing figures in Europe.

Comment

So one for you and now one for us. Personally I think it's healthy that scientists look at the evidence and then change their conclusions, as justified.

http://polliter.com/2013/03/19/top-w...ng-no-warming/

Oh yeah, and let the character assassination commence, of course.

Comment

Probably our climate change folks are happy with the initiatives in todays federal budget.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Absolute, irrefutable proof that climate change is here and now, in a big way, and will affect the entire planet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9YWX7ChjtxY

Here are some of the effects to look forward to...
                              http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/0...rtex-Collapsed

Comment

Working...
                              X