Chess the Hard Way rev. ed. (2000)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess the Hard Way rev. ed. (2000)

The genesis of this edition was the subject of a thread on ChessTalk in May of 2009:

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...light=hard+way

More than a dozen people worked on the revised edition, including Tony Ficzere, Halldor Palsson and Gordon Taylor. The single column format was converted to double column by the printers and to better accommodate the text, it was stretched and the resulting diagrams are taller than they are wide. 500 copies were printed.
    +++++++
    Although I have a copy of the original edition of 1953 published by Pitman, I wanted a copy of the revised edition for my collection but there were none to be had on the used book market this year. One site said, “Unfortunately, none of the 150,000+ booksellers whose inventories we search appear to have any copies for sale.” The first itself was selling for $85 and up.

An online search gave two institutions that had a copy – The Vancouver Public Library and Library and Archives Canada. So, I applied for an interlibrary loan. My Toronto librarian filled out the forms and said that although the service is free, they ask how much you are willing to pay if some service charges arise. We thought that $30 was a good sum to put down. It took about three weeks but the Vancouver copy came and I was able to examine it.

Yanofsky, Daniel Abraham 1925 –
    Chess the Hard Way
    Ottawa, Chess Federation of Canada, 2000
    vii, 235 p., [11] p. of plates: ill.; 23 cm H x 15 cm W; cardboard covers
    ISBN: 0968218806
    LC Class no.: GV1439
    Dewey: 794.1/092 21

Part I has the games which were in the first edition, beginning with Gray – Yanofsky, Toronto 1936 and ending with Israel – Yanofsky, Ilford 1952

Part II has these additional games:
    73. Yanofsky, D.A. - Barden, Leonard Paignton 1952; 74. Yanofsky, D.A. - Blau, Max Hastings 1952-3; 75. Penrose, Jonathan - Yanofsky, D.A. Hastings 1952-3; 76. Yanofsky, D.A. - Thomas, A. Brit. Champ. 1953; 77. Yanofsky, D.A. - Milner-Barry, P.S. Brit. Champ. 1953; 78. Yanofsky, D.A. - Wade, Robert Brit. Champ. 1953; 79. Berner, G. - Yanofsky, D.A. Winnipeg 1953; 80. Anderson, Frank - Yanofsky, D.A. Winnipeg 1953; 81. Yanofsky, D.A. - Taylor, J. Winnipeg 1953; 82. Yanofsky, D.A. - Paoli, Enrico Amsterdam 1954; 83. Yanofsky, D.A. - Mednis, Edmar Montreal 1956; 84. Evans, Larry M. - Yanofsky, D.A. Montreal 1956; 85. Yanofsky, D.A. - Olafsson, Fridrik Dallas 1957; 86. Reshevsky, Samuel - Yanofsky, D.A. Dallas 1957; 87. Evans, Larry M. - Yanofsky, D.A. Dallas 1957; 88. Yanofsky, D.A. - Reshevsky, Samuel Dallas 1957; 89. Kalotay, A. - Yanofsky, D.A. Winnipeg 1958; 90. Yanofsky, D.A. - Henin, C. Winnipeg 1958; 91. Yanofsky, D.A. - Portisch, Lajos Munich 1958; 92. Anderson, Frank - Yanofsky, D.A. Montreal 1959; 93. Joyner, Lionel - Yanofsky, D.A. Montreal 1959; 94. Yanofsky, D.A. - Macskasy, Elod Vancouver m(2) 1961; 95. Macskasy, Elod - Yanofsky, D.A. Vancouver m(3) 1961; 96. Yanofsky, D.A. - Uhlmann, W. Stockholm 1962; 97. Yanofsky, D.A. - German, Eugenio Stockhom 1962; 98. Yanofsky, D.A. - Benko, Pal Stockholm 1962; 99. Suttles, Duncan - Yanofsky, D.A. Winnipeg 1963; 100. Uhlmann, W. - Yanofsky, D.A. Tel Aviv 1964; 101. Reshevsky, Samuel - Yanofsky, D.A. Tel Aviv 1964; 102. Padevsky, Nikola - Yanofsky, D.A. Tel Aviv 1964; 103. Suttles, Duncan - Yanofsky, D.A. Vancouver 1965; 104. Kleopas, G. - Yanofsky, D.A. Havana 1966; 105. Yanofsky, D.A. - Pachman, Ludek Havana 1966; 106. Szabo, Laszlo - Yanofsky, D.A. Winnipeg 1967; 107. Fischer, Robert - Yanofsky, D.A. Netanya 1968; 108. O'Kelly de Galway, A. - Yanofsky, D.A. Lugano 1968; 109. Yanofsky, D.A. - Porat, Josef Netanya 1969; 110. Yanofsky, D.A. - Bobotsov, M. Siegen 1970; 111. Yanofsky, D.A. - Tatai, S. Skopje 1972; 112. Idrovo, N. - Yanofsky, D.A. Nice 1974; 113. Yanofsky, D.A. - Hébert, Jean Calgary 1975; 114. Dobrich, Walter - Yanofsky, D.A. Calgary 1975; 115. Miller, D. - Yanofsky, D.A. Winnipeg 1975; 116. Yanofsky, D.A. - Leman, M. Montreal 1976; 117. Zaitsev, Lev - Yanofsky, D.A. Montreal 1976; 118. Yanofsky, D.A. - Hoen, R. Haifa 1976; 119. Yanofsky, D.A. - Negro, Jacques Haifa 1976; 120. Fullbrook, Nigel - Yanofsky, D.A. Edmonton 1979; 121. Yanofsky, D.A. - Hawkes, Rob Edmonton 1979; 122. Yanofsky, D.A. - Pomar, A. Malta 1980; 123. Yanofsky, D.A. - Thorstein, V. Malta 1980; 124. Yanofsky, D.A. - Prystenski, Art Winnipeg 1980; 125. Pajak, Jan - Yanofsky, D.A. Winnipeg 1986; 126. Yanofsky, D.A. - Kaptsan, Aron Winnipeg 1986; 127. Hergott, Deen - Yanofsky, D.A. Winnipeg 1986; 128 Yanofsky, D.A. - Prystenski, Art Winnipeg 1989; 129 Denker, Arnold - Yanofsky, D.A. Groningen 1996
    +++++++
    The games are numbered, moves given in figurine algebraic and each opening has the ECO code. There are commentaries on all games, full index and tournament and match record. The book finishes off with the 1994 En Passant interview.

It is a good solid piece of work and everyone who contributed to it should be commended. It is a fine tribute to the man.

I have given a lot of detail so that you can decide whether to buy one of the 500 copies printed should one appear on the market. Better yet is to clamor for a second printing. Wouldn’t it be grand to have Volume I – Chess the Hard Way and Volume II containing How to Win End-games (1957), 100 Years of Chess in Canada (1967) and a collection of his columns from the Winnipeg Free Press.

Re: Chess the Hard Way rev. ed. (2000)

Three extracts from the revised edition of Chess the Hard Way:

Preface
    (snip)

On March 13th, 1996, the President of the Chess Federation of Canada, Mr. Yves Farges, suggested that the Chess Federation of Canada reissue a publication of the original “Chess the Hard Way” but changing the notation from English notation to the Algebraic, and asked me if I would be interested in having this done.

This gave me an opportunity to consider writing the second part of my book, and I willingly agreed to have the original book published as Part I, and the period thereafter to be published as Part II.

I would like to express my appreciation to Yves Farges, Francisco Cabañas, Peter Stockhausen, and Jonathan Berry of Vancouver, Tony Ficzere of Brantford, Ontario, John Burstow, Jack Yoos, Professor Jack Woodbury, Cecil Rosner, Fletcher Baragar and Irwin Lipnowski, all of Winnipeg, Herb Langer of Arnprior, Ontario and Brad Thompson, Gordon Taylor and Halldor Palsson of Ottawa, who willingly devoted the time and effort to assist in the redoing of the entire work, checking and proof reading the manuscript prior to publication.

It is a tribute to the Chess community in Canada to have so many volunteers who are willingly to freely donate their time and effort to further the cause of Chess.

D. A. Yanofsky

The En Passant Interview

Phil Haley told me that you once played a Rook sacrifice which impressed Alekhine. Tell me about that story.

Yes, by 1939, largely through the efforts of my good friend Bernard Freedman, who at the time was the President of the Chess Federation, I was put on the Canadian Olympic Team in Buenos Aires. I had tied for fourth in the previous Canadian Chess Championship. A number of the players couldn’t go, and I ended up playing on the team and I played on the second board. Our team captain was Morrison. On the day we played Peru he was tired and so I played first board for Canada, and I played Dulanto (see Game 17), who at that time was champion of Peru. He played a French Defence and allowed me to make a Rook sacrifice, which the Argentine papers described as the most sensational move of the tournament. And Alekhine and Capablanca were both at the tournament – I actually met both of them. Capablanca was a very withdrawn person, or aloof, whereas Alekhine, despite what the press said about him later, appeared to be a very friendly man as far as I was concerned. He came up to me after the game, and I was thrilled – the World Champion coming up to me, and he actually analyzed this with me. And he invited me a few days later to have tea with him and his wife, and he continued to come and watch my games. And so I suppose that was one of the greatest thrills that I have had in my chess career.

You played Bobby Fischer twice. What can you tell us about this?

The first time I played Bobby was in 1962, in the Interzonal. That was when he went on to qualify for the Candidates. The one distinguishing mark for me was Bobby’s persistence. The game lasted 113 moves and it took seventeen hours with adjournments. Of course, I wasn’t old at the time but he was substantially younger and I had the better of it in the earlier part of the game, and then towards the middle and early endgame it was clearly drawn. But I have to give him credit, he was a fighter, he wasn’t going to settle for a draw. There were some tricks in the game and eventually he wore me down and he won. In 1970, it was not long before he won the World Championship, I played against him in a tournament in Tel Aviv. And in that one I think I outplayed him. I had the better of the game and I think he was lucky to draw me (see Game 107). He is a very fine player and he and I got along very well. They say this is a product of genius – that sometimes you are very eccentric – and he was in many ways. I don’t pretend to understand him, although in those years we were on very friendly terms. Even if we didn’t play against each other when we were in events like the Olympics and other things, we saw each other but he was very difficult to understand. That’s maybe one of the odd things about geniuses – they are hard to understand.

Comment

Working...
    X