Less expensive alternatives to Chessbase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Less expensive alternatives to Chessbase?

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
    Maybe it's just me. I'm running Fritz 12 (Viva media version if that makes any difference), and after entering a dozen games I could not figure out how to sort the games by Tournament or by date played. They only appeared as date entered. I also had to keep entering the tournament details every time, which risks making subtle errors in the database
    I use a search tool to find games by player, and there's also finding games with the position set-up on the board. But the database always stays in order of entry.

My primitive way to reorder is to save the games as pgn and open in a text program like Notepad, and cut and paste to move the games into the order I want. I can also see all the fields to correct any differences in tournament details.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
      I'm still using Paperbase 1.
      Have you bought the expansion pack yet?

Comment

[QUOTE=bobluch;65507]The cost last I looked was €99.90 or $143.67.

Yeah right. Thanks, Bob.
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
          Have you bought the expansion pack yet?
          I'm still using the three-ring Paperbase Assistant. :)
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

If you are any kind of serious chess player, take the plunge and get the basic ChessBase package. You won't regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
              I could not figure out how to sort the games by Tournament or by date played. They only appeared as date entered. I also had to keep entering the tournament details every time, which risks making subtle errors in the database
              Per subject "less expensive" (more time consuming): get newer Chessbase Magazine DVD which would have a Chessbase Reader.
              Install, (restart), Open your database, sort in all possible ways, check for similar tournaments (players), edit them (F2, merge them), select interested games, save as PGN, close Reader, open the PGN in the Fritz, do analyzes, save. don't buy for several years Fritz, then buy chessbase :)
              feel free to ask any question.

Comment

I'd like to buy CB12 Premium and am looking for the best price (on-line shopping?) as it is for me an expensive item. Any suggestion?

It's my first message on this forum, so please let me know if this kind of question is acceptable.

Thks

Comment

Chess Assistant and associated software should not be overlooked.
                  I have been using it as my primary database for several years, and prefer it to Chessbase.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Gougeon View Post
                    I'd like to buy CB12 Premium and am looking for the best price (on-line shopping?) as it is for me an expensive item. Any suggestion?

It's my first message on this forum, so please let me know if this kind of question is acceptable.

Thks
                    Given that the owner of this board sells chessbase software, probably not. I haven't seen any compelling reason to upgrade from chessbase 10 which I bought in the Toronto Strategy and Games store a couple of years ago.

Originally posted by Tony Boron View Post
                    I have been using it as my primary database for several years, and prefer it to Chessbase.
                    I think the original poster was looking for a free option. Chess Assistant looks good as a commercial product.

Comment

SCID vs Chessbase

I use both SCID and Chessbase so I made this comparison of the two.

What They Both Do

You can record and annotate your games with text, alternative moves, graphical arrows and circles etc.

You can search through big game collections along certain criterion like player names, game position, eco key etc. Both allow you to cross reference.

You can use both to analyze a game with a chess engine like Rybka or Houdini.

Where Chessbase is better than SCID

If you want to take 20 games and make them displayable on a website chessbase has a feature to do this where as scid does not. Correct me if Im wrong but don't the later versions of Chessbase have the ability to relay a live game as well?

Chessbase has this ability to build stuff like endgame keys so that you can get hundreds of examples of an endgame type. I don't think SCID can do this.

Chessbase has all these cool instructional videos you can watch. But you can use a free reader to watch those I guess.

Where SCID is better than Chessbase:

I like SCID's opening report better than Chessbase. Its just better. SCID's opening report is comparable to an eco table but with winning percentages instead of an evaluation of each line. The similarity goes right down to footnotes to the master games in your database. Like Chessbase, it also has heaps of stats on the reported position.

Also if you enter a chess position and search for it in a large (eg. 4 million plus games) database SCID is a lot faster. This may not be an issue if you have a powerful computer.

SCID has lots of chess engine features that Chessbase does not have. Like the ability to take two engines and have them create an annotation by playing each other.

Conclusion

Let me now summarize all this and finally answer Garland Best's initial question at the same time:

The cheaper alternative to Chessbase is SCID. Its free. In addition to having a place to store and annotate your own games (and study them with an engine) it searches faster and has a much better opening report.

SCID has some weaknesses. Eg. You can't do this focused engame search that I mentioned you can do with Chessbase. But at the end of the day its pros, including its free price tag, outweigh its cons.

(But hey investigate them both, as well as the other numerous chess database programs out there.)

Comment

Thanks all for your comments (thanks a lot Garvin for the detaield answer!), it is clear.

Vlad : I am ready to pay but before investing wanted to understand the options CB vs. other databases. I was also looking for suggestions to get the best price and now understand (answer on the Frenck forum as my message has been erased) this kind of questions cannot be asked as this board is sponsored (yes we should always read conditions before editing a first message, we know, but don't always do...).

I will continue using this interesting forum and as learnt will not anymore ask questions on prices of items sold by the board's owner. I apologize for this mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Gougeon View Post
                          Thanks all for your comments (thanks a lot Garvin for the detaield answer!), it is clear.

Vlad : I am ready to pay but before investing wanted to understand the options CB vs. other databases. I was also looking for suggestions to get the best price and now understand (answer on the Frenck forum as my message has been erased) this kind of questions cannot be asked as this board is sponsored (yes we should always read conditions before editing a first message, we know, but don't always do...).

I will continue using this interesting forum and as learnt will not anymore ask questions on prices of items sold by the board's owner. I apologize for this mistake.
                          I think you can ask about prices from the board's owner or just click on the link at the top of the page that takes you to the Strategy and Games website..

I use both Chessbase 10 which I bought from Strategy and Games Toronto store and SCID/chessdb and am relatively happy with both. If you want to publish games on paper or on a website then you want Chessbase. Scid/chessdb is quite a bit faster on a slower machine, I haven't tried it on any of the newer, faster computers.

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
                            SCID
                            They just released a new version 4.4. There are several other alternatives to SCID, like SCID vs PC. Even for Android SCID on the Go. A good app for commuters LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Boron View Post
                              I heard that Assistant is even better. The problem is that people are just used to the Chessbase interface :D Now users of Assistant got a new advantage for analyses - an access to the 7-pieces endgame tablebases. Authors called them Lomonosov endgame tablebases. The reason is that they used the Lomonosov supercomputer of the Lomonosov Moscow State University :D
                              http://chessok.com/?page_id=27966

Comment

Working...
                              X